• The KillerFrogs

Mention of Max Duggan in article about training during Coivid 19

tcumaniac

This article is a week old, but I didn't see it posted (sorry if I missed it).

How four FBS quarterbacks found a shred of normalcy while awaiting the all-clear from their teams
A small camp in Kansas got these QBs throwing again after the coronavirus washed away spring practice

PRAIRIE VILLAGE, Kan. -- On a recent sunny spring afternoon, four FBS quarterbacks threw footballs in a park located in a quiet Kansas City suburb. It was almost jarring to see even that much live football in one place.

OK, so it was only a May 21 session with their throwing coach, but it was something amid a sportsless landscape. Graham Mertz (Wisconsin), Noah Vedral (Rutgers), Jacob Clark (Minnesota) and Max Duggan (TCU) were all working with Justin Hoover, a local high school head coach who runs the Spin It Quarterback Academy.

"Everybody needs football," said Mertz, a rising redshirt freshman and one of the Badgers' highest-ever rated quarterback prospects.

With the NCAA moratorium on athletic activities having expired on May 31, these four needed to throw in the meantime. All of them were connected to the region or Hoover, a rising star in the national quarterback training ranks. Along with the balls, there was a certain urgency in the air. Football is coming back -- fast.

The football-as-savior discussion will be tabled for now. As balls floated in a same park where families played, it was clear Duggan had the best arm in this super-small sample size. The rising sophomore started 10 games for the Horned Frogs in 2019, getting honorable mention for Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year.

"When Max was coming out, I remember seeing him at an Elite 11 regional event," Hoover said. "At the time, he had Northern Iowa and North Dakota State and maybe Southern Illinois, some FCS [teams recruiting him]. And he lit it up. I don't know if he got off the plane home, and he had four offers."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...hile-awaiting-the-all-clear-from-their-teams/

MAcFroggy

In all honesty, if Max could have put a little more air under the ball 1-2 times per game our entire season plays out differently. It felt like every game he would blow one easy toughdown pass by slightly over throwing his open target

texas_sicilian

In all honesty, if Max could have put a little more air under the ball 1-2 times per game our entire season plays out differently. It felt like every game he would blow one easy toughdown pass by slightly over throwing his open target
I fault bad o-line protection, receivers dropping passes, and questionable play calling much more than Max’s passing.

Sure he could have done better with some, but our offensive woes were much bigger than him.

Eight

I fault bad o-line protection, receivers dropping passes, and questionable play calling much more than Max’s passing.

Sure he could have done better with some, but our offensive woes were much bigger than him.

agree with the idea that the frogs offense had multiple problems and those problems combined to form a problem much bigger than max's periodic accuracy issues, but max flat out missed some very make able throws that could have resulted in big plays or schools

i can think of throws against smu and ou that he missed that should have been touchdowns that could have changed the result of those games

jake102

agree with the idea that the frogs offense had multiple problems and those problems combined to form a problem much bigger than max's periodic accuracy issues, but max flat out missed some very make able throws that could have resulted in big plays or schools

i can think of throws against smu and ou that he missed that should have been touchdowns that could have changed the result of those games

Yeah he missed plenty of deep passes where he had time and just missed, pretty much all to Reagor. Not hard to imagine Reagor having another 3-4 TDs and 200 yards last season.

Duggan wasn't good at all. But the OL was just as awful and fortunately for him he has three more years.

texas_sicilian

Not sure if you’re in the 247 group, but someone just posted a series of stats on Duggan from last year. The on-target rate drop off due to pressure was very telling. Bottom 93rd percentile.

jake102

Not sure if you’re in the 247 group, but someone just posted a series of stats on Duggan from last year. The on-target rate drop off due to pressure was very telling. Bottom 93rd percentile.

Yeah that chart was about the worst organized thing I've ever seen. Red is bad, orange/yellow is mediocre, blue is good.

Pretty sure you're wrong and have the percentiles backwards. His on-target rate drop off was actually very good, in the top 93rd percentile.

9799424.jpg

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I was about to say, "Well, with an off season of working with receivers as the starter, they've surely gotten used to his timing and passing strength..." Um, no. Plague.

I only hope that, as the #1 guy who gets the reps this time around in the abbreviated Summer Camp and 2-a-days upcoming, there will be improvement in the cohesiveness of the QB and receiver corps. We've literally got nowhere to go but up in that department.

Heh. What am I thinking? We've got Sonny!

Eight

not a member of 247 and won't join purely out of spite for moose.

kidding aside, jake published the chart and there is some interesting information. as you pointed out, max was impacted by pressure as the footnotes on the table indicate lower numbers are indicators of higher performance.

what is interesting is that according to the table just over 30% of duggan's throws were under pressure meaning over 2/3 of his throws were from a clean pocket which is among the top 30% in the country.

what we can't see simply from the table is over those near 70% of duggan's throws that were from a clear pocket how many were screens? how many check downs? how many designed short throws?

there is a definite pattern in the farther the throw was from the line of scrimmage the lower the completion percentage and that drop was fairly dramatic

jake102

as you pointed out, max was impacted by pressure as the footnotes on the table indicate lower numbers are indicators of higher performance.

This is why America is falling apart. That note is clearly asterisked and only applies to categories that also have an asterisk.

Although, as I noted, this chart was put together by someone who hasn't put together enough of these things.

Tumbleweed

Justin Hoover, owner/operator of Spin It Academy and head coach at Shawnee Mission East high school, is highly regarded as a qb coach.. Credentials are firm and substantial. Mentored many NFL qb's and is head coach at a fine high school. (btw..ck this hs up, think you'll be impressed)

Shawnee Mission East has very good facilities so obviously a growing high school coach would jump at the chance to coach at this facility. I mention this b/c some of you will question 'a high school coach mentoring BCS calibre QB's? Well yes, as in business, it isn't always about wins and loss records but instilling discipline, character etc and QB skills. BTW he was associated with the Manning QB program.

Here's wishing the best for young Duggan and my beloved TCU.

love one Hoover quote, you're either in 100% or get out)