• The KillerFrogs

Meacham

Limey Frog

I don’t want to run the system or bring back Meacham. I just find this narrative tiresome.

It’s like the 50+ posts from last night talking about OU’s terrible defense. The same defense that is #1 in the Big 12. People post their feelings too often without any basis in facts. It annoys me.

I'm not claiming that Tre and Doctson were the only reason that we had any offensive success, but their talents were obviously the difference maker.

This year we are now 5-6. We've been blown out once; we've beaten three utterly useless teams [Ark. PB, Purdue, Kansas] and found ways to win two tight ones [Tech & UT]; we've found ways to lose four games we might have won. So, in 2019, we find ways to lose twice as often as we find ways to win (furthermore, we have beaten precisely one team with a record above .500, and even they might yet fall to 6-6).

Do you doubt that if Tre and Doctson were on this 2019 we would have won some of those four close losses? I think we'd have won all four and be 10-1 right now. No, they weren't the entire offense, but they were the difference-makers. If they were on this squad would it change the fact that we're otherwise a poorly prepared and thoroughly mediocre outfit? Nope, but it would probably keep us all from noticing. In retrospect, was that true in 2015? That's the point being made.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I'm not claiming that Tre and Doctson were the only reason that we had any offensive success, but their talents were obviously the difference maker.

This year we are now 6-5. We've been blown out once; we've beaten three utterly useless teams [Ark. PB, Purdue, Kansas] and found ways to win two tight ones [Tech & UT]; we've found ways to lose four games we might have won. So, in 2019, we find ways to lose twice as often as we find ways to win (furthermore, we have beaten precisely one team with a record above .500, and even they might yet fall to 6-6).

Do you doubt that if Tre and Doctson were on this 2019 we would have won some of those four close losses? I think we'd have won all four and be 10-1 right now. No, they weren't the entire offense, but they were the difference-makers. If they were on this squad would it change the fact that we're otherwise a poorly prepared and thoroughly mediocre outfit? Nope, but it would probably keep us all from noticing. In retrospect, was that true in 2015? That's the point being made.
It’s almost like there is a freshman playing QB instead of a senior. Weird.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
That must be why our receivers keep dropping balls, our linemen can't block, and opposing defenses see half of our plays coming before we snap the ball.
That’s a different discussion. But I get it. You just argue whatever point feels good to you even if it has nothing to do with where the conversation started. I’m just going to put you on ignore because you can’t have a logical discussion and it’s pointless to waste time on it.

Salfrog

Tier 1
I wouldn't mind Meacham back as a receiver coach, but I doubt that he would want that. When he was here, the receivers played much better than they have since he left. They ran better routes, and actually caught the ball. He could also give ideas on plays.

The sad part is, Meacham isn't going to fix what is wrong here. We need a new OC with fresh new ideas & plays that has called plays before and knows how to make in game adjustments. He also needs to be able to hire his own staff, not be stuck with this motley crew of underperforming offensive assistants that should have been gone years ago.

Uncle_Frog

Meachum seems like a good guy and he’s passionate about air raid. I know he does lots of clinics teaching the system.

Want to know who isn’t passionate about the air raid...most everyone but Leach and Meachum..Most importantly GP isn’t a fan. Before people start talking about Riley being an Air Raid guy let me remind you he runs the ball more than anyone in the B12. The game has largely evolved beyond that system and I for one hope we never see again around here.
Fake news. We ran for more yards per game from 2014-2016 than 2017-2019. Where is this notion that Meacham doesn’t like to run? His offense was more effective running than Cumbie’s.

Froggish

Fake news. We ran for more yards per game from 2014-2016 than 2017-2019. Where is this notion that Meacham doesn’t like to run? His offense was more effective running than Cumbie’s.

2 things.
1. We ran twice as many plays going hyper speed. Pass sets up run in the air raid.
2. Cumbie’s offense has been a steaming pile of crap so being more effective than that is meaningless to me.

If you like the air raid than so be it. I don’t. To each his own.

Pharm Frog

I don’t want to run the system or bring back Meacham. I just find this narrative tiresome.

It’s like the 50+ posts from last night talking about OU’s terrible defense. The same defense that is #1 in the Big 12. People post their feelings too often without any basis in facts. It annoys me.
The whole OU narrative this season has been a more potent D to pair with a different but potent offense

Frogcrates

Before people start talking about Riley being an Air Raid guy let me remind you he runs the ball more than anyone in the B12. The game has largely evolved beyond that system and I for one hope we never see again around here.

I am frustratingly caught on the theoretical idea of what Lincoln Riley’s offensive system would look like paired with Gary Patterson’s defense.

Mean Purple

Bro.... come off it. Sure he’s a great dude(that we know of). He’s not the answer. Let’s be forward thinking and get someone new and innovative or that is desirable. This formula is not that hard.
Well, the best we have been in the Big 12 came when he was calling it. Period. There is no debate about that. The stats are what they are.

Froggish

Just a reminder 2016 happened to..Some of you like to stop after the 2014-2015 seasons. We avg. 31 a game that year..About as effective as this current offense

Eight

Just a reminder 2016 happened to..Some of you like to stop after the 2014-2015 seasons. We avg. 31 a game that year..About as effective as this current offense

they are just borrowing a proven technique from tcu sid where you select the optimum time frame so the stats gathered prove your desired conclusion

I am frustratingly caught on the theoretical idea of what Lincoln Riley’s offensive system would look like paired with Gary Patterson’s defense.
I think all of it would work. They obviously are prolific at scoring but, you want ball control? Look what they did to us the entire game last night and what they did to Baylor the second half. He saw our offense wasn't doing anything and that our defense had gone to some 3 man fronts to get more smaller guys matched up and just broke out in the middle of the game some two back power option football from the spread formation.

There is a reason he is considered the best offensive mind in college football so we're unlikely to find anyone who is at that level but just someone who puts together a competent scheme and competently calls plays and competently makes in-game adjustments would be a significant advancement to what we currently do.