• The KillerFrogs

MBB: TCU vs Pepperdine

Some thoughts…

Great to have Baugh back, scored 8, had some nice feeds to Coles late, and is effective driving to the basket. Also hit two clutch free throws late.

The Frogs need double double level production from Emanuel Miller and we got it from him tonight 15 points and 10 boards. We did a better job feeding him slashing to the basket this game.

Miles scored 16, more effective going to the basket than shooting outside tonight.

This was O’Bannon’s best game of the year. Not only did he give us instant offense off the bench with 12 points off the bench, but he is working harder on defense. Peavy didn’t have his best game, good to have Chuck come in and produce.

Cork still looks like our most effective and versatile big man, but really none of the three centers did much tonight. Lampkin and Cork scored 4 each. And had trouble with Zidek, who is a very good player.

I did like the move late in the second half to play Miller and Coles together. Coles got us some big buckets that really helped put the game out of reach when Pepperdine still had some hope.

Still getting things figured out, but I think we are learning that we are much more effective offensively when our guards penetrate than working the perimeter. We shot 50% from the floor, but only 16% from three.

Still too many turnovers with 18, but winning the rebounding battle 38-22 helps offset some of that, especially when 15 of those are offensive.

SuperTFrog

Some thoughts…

Great to have Baugh back, scored 8, had some nice feeds to Coles late, and is effective driving to the basket. Also hit two clutch free throws late.

The Frogs need double double level production from Emanuel Miller and we got it from him tonight 15 points and 10 boards. We did a better job feeding him slashing to the basket this game.

Miles scored 16, more effective going to the basket than shooting outside tonight.

This was O’Bannon’s best game of the year. Not only did he give us instant offense off the bench with 12 points off the bench, but he is working harder on defense. Peavy didn’t have his best game, good to have Chuck come in and produce.

Cork still looks like our most effective and versatile big man, but really none of the three centers did much tonight. Lampkin and Cork scored 4 each. And had trouble with Zidek, who is a very good player.

I did like the move late in the second half to play Miller and Coles together. Coles got us some big buckets that really helped put the game out of reach when Pepperdine still had some hope.

Still getting things figured out, but I think we are learning that we are much more effective offensively when our guards penetrate than working the perimeter. We shot 50% from the floor, but only 16% from three.

Still too many turnovers with 18, but winning the rebounding battle 38-22 helps offset some of that, especially when 15 of those are offensive.
Agree on all fronts. Mike Miles and Emmanuel Miller are clearly our best players, IMO. We need them to be special this year. I am very worried about our bigs being able to defend this year’s version of Azubuike or McCormick. The last few years the games against skilled post players are over before they start.

Obannon was scrappy for the first time I can remember. He was playing great defense, blocking shots and around the rim all night. Even when he got called for a travel it was because he was trying to dunk on 2 defenders. Haven’t seen that kind of effort before.

I think we are likely going to finish 8th or 9th in conference but have the pieces to finish in the 5th or 6th range and go to the tourney. We need Jaime to harness his Pitt coaching that we hired him for and put this puzzle together!

MadFrog

O'Bannon was as hot as I have ever seen him. Then Dixon takes him out and he cools off. Dixon has to play at least 11 or he is not happy.

Moose Stuff

Shot 16% from 3 and got the win. That is a loss 9 out of 10 times. Part of it was a crappy opponent and part was the Frogs doing the little things like good defense and rebounding to get the win. Celebrating the win, but we will lose that game every time in conference if we shoot that bad from deep. Miles shooting 29% from 3 so far this season. He and the rest of the Frogs need to dial it in from deep.
Good defense and rebounding are probably going to HAVE to be the reason we win most nights from what I can tell.

Rose Bowl

Much better effort all around. Mike was better and Miller had another double figure game in scoring and rebounding. Coles seems like a very heady player and O’Bannon brought a lot of energy. We looked better with Baugh on the floor.

I believe we’re going to play plenty of games this season just like this. Have got to be better defensively and rebound strong.

JogginFrog

Even if the bigs aren't really effective, having 3 to throw at the top Big 12 centers will go a long way because they can play aggressive. Need to keep them healthy.

Even if the bigs aren't really effective, having 3 to throw at the top Big 12 centers will go a long way because they can play aggressive. Need to keep them healthy.
They do have good size and seem to have decent hands and Cork has off the charts hops. But pretty limited offensively. If last night is any indication, looks like Doumbia will ride the bench and the other two splitting 20-25 minutes or so. Obviously the game flow and matchups will matter. Coles, Miller and Peavy/O’Bannon with no big man seems like a viable lineup in end of game situations where flexible roles/switches is so important on both sides of the floor.

Until we can make 3s with some level of consistency then we'll stay in the bottom half of the conference. I doubt we'll be +20 rebounding against Big 12 teams very often.
Baugh, Peavy, Wells and Evans are a combined 6-30 from 3 (20%). Miles only hitting .250 on 20 shots. That’s not going to get it done. Only O’Bannon, Farabello and Coles hitting 3s with any efficiency.