• The KillerFrogs

Maxwell

PO Frog

In all of the excitement regarding Purke and Wink's most recent, dominant outings and with Maxwell coming off a bad performance, I think some of us are forgetting that Maxwell has been our best pitcher statistically speaking this entire year. I feel like everyone is trying to figure out how to get Purke as many starts as possible, but I think it should be recognized that Maxwell has been nails all year long and we will be just fine with him starting (hopefully Friday). He does have the lowest ERA of our three aces and I just don't think there is good reason to be nervous with him on the hill. Yes, Purke deserves all the recognition he is getting and I love when he is on the hill, but I don't think we lose anything at all when Maxwell trots out there either. He is just coming off a bad outing and I don't want Frogs to put too much stock in that one start.

Rabble Rouser

Wink is pitching tonight, one game at a time...

Also lucky for us we don't get to make these decisions, Schloss does, and I have 100% confidence in whoever he pitches and whenever he pitches them.

icemonkee

This is true, maxwell has been the most consistent all year (besides the UT game)

However, I don't think any of us would deny the fact that both Harry Potter and Wink have better stuff.

PO Frog

QUOTE(icemonkee @ Jun 21 2010, 12:34 PM) [snapback]584904[/snapback]
This is true, maxwell has been the most consistent all year (besides the UT game)

However, I don't think any of us would deny the fact that both Harry Potter and Wink have better stuff.

I disagree completely regarding "better stuff." Purke has better stuff but Winkler is not as nasty as Maxwell. Wink has that gritty, competitive fire that I love, but I don't think his stuff compares with Maxwell's.

HFrog1999

Maxwell's game against Baylor was a thing of beauty. I'll be interested to see when coach Schloss uses him in the CWS. There's a lot more to it than just who's throwing well at the time.

SnoSki

QUOTE(HFrog1999 @ Jun 21 2010, 01:37 PM) [snapback]584906[/snapback]
Maxwell's game against Baylor was a thing of beauty. I'll be interested to see when coach Schloss uses him in the CWS. There's a lot more to it than just who's throwing well at the time.

Heck, maybe we see them both tonight if need be. I hope not, but you never know.

icemonkee

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ Jun 21 2010, 01:40 PM) [snapback]584911[/snapback]
Heck, maybe we see them both tonight if need be. I hope not, but you never know.

If we have a small lead but Wink only goes 4 or 5 innings this would not surprise me...use maxwell and lockwood to keep us out of the losers bracket.

GlendarrochFrog

QUOTE(Rabble Rouser @ Jun 21 2010, 12:34 PM) [snapback]584903[/snapback]
Wink is pitching tonight, one game at a time...

Why as a fan does he have to take this one game at a time? Are we worried that all the players are reading this board and might not focus on today's game because he was thinking ahead to Friday's potential game? I think we should throw Maxwell in the CWF finals against ASU. I think we should start Dwight Smith in the national championship game against Ohio State. :tongue:

jake102

Wink has better stuff than Maxwell. It is relatively obvious. Talk to any scout or ready the reports.

Maxwell has been the best because his command is by far the best (except for Texas). For most the year he can hit spots better than anyone else on the team.

There's nothing wrong with being the 3rd pitcher on the squad. Look what Wink did when everybody was talking about Purke and Maxwell.. He went out and dominated Texas. We are blessed with a pitching staff that are all pretty good.

I would have to say that Purke might be distancing himself from the group... two dominant starts in a row against good teams in big situations to get us those crucial first game wins.

HFrog1999

QUOTE(GlendarrochFrog @ Jun 21 2010, 01:45 PM) [snapback]584917[/snapback]
Why as a fan does he have to take this one game at a time? Are we worried that all the players are reading this board and might not focus on today's game because he was thinking ahead to Friday's potential game? I think we should throw Maxwell in the CWF finals against ASU. I think we should start Dwight Smith in the national championship game against Ohio State. :tongue:

Speaking of Football players, whatever happened to Kerley playing baseball?

Rabble Rouser

QUOTE(GlendarrochFrog @ Jun 21 2010, 12:45 PM) [snapback]584917[/snapback]
Why as a fan does he have to take this one game at a time? Are we worried that all the players are reading this board and might not focus on today's game because he was thinking ahead to Friday's potential game?

He doesn't HAVE to do anything, and I didn't say he did. I just think it's stupid to be complaining that Maxwell isn't getting his due when it's not his turn to pitch. Maxwell will get his turn, and when he does we will all get fired up about it and tout our MWC POY. But right now our biggest game of the year is tonight against UCLA and Wink is pitching, and that's what I'm pumped about.

ricksterh

Actually imo Max didn't pitch that bad at Texas. He allowed some guys on base but wiggled out of jams early which all three of our aces have done during the year. With the bases loaded and two out a slow roller in the high grass cause the 3b to have to make a bang bang play that resulted in the first two runs. All in all 4 unearned runs in that inning. If our 3b makes that tough play the Frogs are out of the inning 0-0. It happens. :angry:

jake102

Maxwell didn't have his normal stuff against Texas. Not a good game.

But it won't happen again and that is what matters. Get ready for Wink tonight and Max will be ready when needed.

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(ricksterh @ Jun 21 2010, 02:17 PM) [snapback]584993[/snapback]
Actually imo Max didn't pitch that bad at Texas. He allowed some guys on base but wiggled out of jams early which all three of our aces have done during the year. With the bases loaded and two out a slow roller in the high grass cause the 3b to have to make a bang bang play that resulted in the first two runs. All in all 4 unearned runs in that inning. If our 3b makes that tough play the Frogs are out of the inning 0-0. It happens. :angry:

Agree. Maxwell did ok and he might have gotten out of it, if he had stayed in.

It was the guy who came in after him from the bullpen that telegraphed pitches and gave up a bunch of runs. I don't want to see that again.

jake102

If the score is within 5-6 runs either way, there will only be 5 guys who see the mound.

Purke, Winkler, Maxwell, Lockwood and Merck. Nobody else will throw if the game is anywhere near close.

Spike

QUOTE(HFrog1999 @ Jun 21 2010, 06:48 PM) [snapback]584921[/snapback]
Speaking of Football players, whatever happened to Kerley playing baseball?

Because he is so fast, most of his contributions to the team are not visible to the naked eye.

ricksterh

QUOTE(TCUFrogs @ Jun 21 2010, 07:57 PM) [snapback]585029[/snapback]
Agree. Maxwell did ok and he might have gotten out of it, if he had stayed in.

It was the guy who came in after him from the bullpen that telegraphed pitches and gave up a bunch of runs. I don't want to see that again.

The five runs Max gave up were all unearned. At that point with the UT pitching with a five run lead imo Schloss didn't want to use his best arms to finish that game so yes it kind of got out of hand but one run loss or a lot more it's still just one loss. I also think it is easier to lose a laugher game like that than a one run gut wrencher. Laugh it off and come back the next day ready to play which is what the Frogs did. :biggrin: