• The KillerFrogs

Matt Campbell

Zubaz

I don’t know enough about the “terrible fit” to comment, but bottom line is he didn’t get it done and we have to make excuses as to why. Dykes record at SMU still does not impress, and certainly not if comparing to Gary Patterson and Luke Fickell who both dominate at G5. I would rather have Holgersen who has a 6-0 AAC record this year at Houston including a win over Dykes’ 3-2 SMU on Oct. 30th — should we settle for less than Houston.
2018SMU5–74–44th (West)
2019SMU10–36–23rd (West)L Boca Raton
2020SMU7–34–35thFrisco[note 2]
2021SMU7–23–24th (tie)
Patterson's first 4 seasons in C-USA, which was probably an easier conference than the current AAC:
2001TCU6–64–3T–5thL Galleryfurniture.com
2002TCU10–26–2T–1stW Liberty2223
2003TCU11–27–12ndL Fort Worth2425
2004TCU5–63–5T–6th

I dunno, outside of that split conference title in 2002 (split with a team that beat us, I might add), not seeing that huge of a difference.

Patterson's first 4 seasons in C-USA, which was probably an easier conference than the current AAC:
2001TCU6–64–3T–5thL Galleryfurniture.com
2002TCU10–26–2T–1stW Liberty2223
2003TCU11–27–12ndL Fort Worth2425
2004TCU5–63–5T–6th

I dunno, outside of that split conference title in 2002 (split with a team that beat us, I might add), not seeing that huge of a difference.
The data here is true, but it's missing one important thing. We had some tangible energy around our program that SMU simply doesn't have right now. Some of that may be because the playoffs have essentially put a wet blanket over the G5 conference teams that is even worse than it was back then. But most of it is because we showed some real potential, especially in 2003 when we jumped into the top 10 for a week or two.

I've never seen any evidence of any such energy surrounding the SMU program since Dykes has been there, despite them beating us twice in a row.

As a side note, looking back on those early days in C-USA, I kinda miss S. Miss being a good team. Man have they fallen on hard times.

Zubaz

The data here is true, but it's missing one important thing. We had some tangible energy around our program that SMU simply doesn't have right now. Some of that may be because the playoffs have essentially put a wet blanket over the G5 conference teams that is even worse than it was back then. But most of it is because we showed some real potential, especially in 2003 when we jumped into the top 10 for a week or two.

I've never seen any evidence of any such energy surrounding the SMU program since Dykes has been there, despite them beating us twice in a row.

As a side note, looking back on those early days in C-USA, I kinda miss S. Miss being a good team. Man have they fallen on hard times.
True except that last sentence. I'll never forgive them for 2003.

arlingtonbell

I am very well connected to high school coaches in Texas and I don't know what you are talking about when it comes to them not liking him. Most of the coaches I talk with damn near everyday love his way of coaching and love that he is old school and still gets after them like he does. But let's just agree to disagree and hope you are right about hiring the right guy and the recruits will come because I don't think either one of us wants to see TCU go through the coaching carousel UT has been going through the last few years.
High school coaches may respect Old School GP but the question is do these soft ass millennial High school recruits wanna play for a guy like that?

gofor2

What are some recent examples of an FBS coach quitting to then start coaching at another program in the same conference? I can't think of any, to be honest. There's probably a few out there, right?