• The KillerFrogs

Macroeconomics / Stock Market Thread

Paul in uhh

From a market commentator I’ve recently started following…

This has been the worst 4 month start to a year for the market since 1942 – when we had been bombed and were under attack by the Japanese and were fighting a world war.

Let that sink in.
And..

We think we may have just witnessed the worst 4 month decline in the NASDAQ’s history since it was invented in 1971.

FrogUltimate

Jimmy Fallon Comedy GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Yeah. It’s been a slow crash so that people don’t panic or even notice
I am heavily invested in the stock market, but I've accepted I'm to dumb to be able to time the ups and downs. I just invest regularly in index funds to keep costs as low as possible and never even look at how it does. I figure I'll just ride the wave whatever direction it goes and hopefully during my investing lifetime there are more ups than downs. I get my market timing kicks in fantasy baseball investing (pro tip- buy Kyle Tucker right now in dynasty. He's been decent but way underperforming his expected stats. He's a top 5 player in fantasy right now and isn't valued like that. OTOH get rid of Randy Arozarena as fast as possible. He's been over performing for a couple years).

FrogUltimate

I am heavily invested in the stock market, but I've accepted I'm to dumb to be able to time the ups and downs. I just invest regularly in index funds to keep costs as low as possible and never even look at how it does. I figure I'll just ride the wave whatever direction it goes and hopefully during my investing lifetime there are more ups than downs. I get my market timing kicks in fantasy baseball investing (pro tip- buy Kyle Tucker right now in dynasty. He's been decent but way underperforming his expected stats. He's a top 5 player in fantasy right now and isn't valued like that. OTOH get rid of Randy Arozarena as fast as possible. He's been over performing for a couple years).
That's what I do with 70% of my money. With 20% of it I do the same thing, but 3x levered. With the remaining 10% I play with it. I'm down 19%, 50% and up 60% on the year, respectively. So collectively I'm down about 17.3% on the year give or take. Barely beating the market.

FrogUltimate

Any thoughts on the crypto volatility? Terra Luna coin went from $85 to .000001 in days:

I view the vast majority of crypto as a ponzi scheme. And potentially all of it. Although if Bitcoin drops below $20k I may buy a small amount.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Blockchain sucks. Works well in theory, but in practice it sucks. Additionally, once world governments begin adopting their own digital currency they'll start cracking down on the exchange of other "non-approved" crypto coins and that will be the end.

Paul in uhh

NQ down almost 5% in a single day today. But sure let’s print more money!

Related: target and Walmart both tell investors to lower their expectations due to inflation.

New home starts misses expectations today by a lot.

LVH

I am not the most financially savvy person there is, so I am asking those in this thread who may be more savy: I currently put 10% of my income into 401k, max out my Roth IRA every month ($500), and put 10% into my brokerage account which is mostly Index Funds and ETFs. So 25% of my income each month is going into the market. Should I keep doing this as a recession/market downturn is on the horizon?