• The KillerFrogs

Mac changes headline

Brog

Interesting to note that after fierce criticism, Engel's StartleGram Headline for Fisher's transferring has changed from "...born with Albinism.." to "...whose story inspired many....". Engel apparently had no sense of the appropriate when he did his first version.

BABYFACE

Interesting to note that after fierce criticism, Engel's StartleGram Headline for Fisher's transferring has changed from "...born with Albinism.." to "...whose story inspired many....". Engel apparently had no sense of the appropriate when he did his first version.

Doesn’t surprise me. That was a very poor choice on the original headline.

I understand Mac writes to create clickbait and controversy because that is where journalism has headed, but he was doing this long before the Startlegram adopted this philosophy.

Punter1

He is the darning worst of the worst...back when I wrote for the FWST in the late 90s...yea, we had tons of editors and they wrote the headlines.

But as Top said now, the way the newspaper industry has shrunk I'd bet money he does everything for his colum, writes, edites, headlines, submits.

I just hope one day....one day I run into him in person so I can tell him he's a giant dbag to his face.

He is the darning worst of the worst...back when I wrote for the FWST in the late 90s...yea, we had tons of editors and they wrote the headlines.

But as Top said now, the way the newspaper industry has shrunk I'd bet money he does everything for his colum, writes, edites, headlines, submits.

I just hope one day....one day I run into him in person so I can tell him he's a giant dbag to his face.
If he is editing his articles, then it’s just another indictment of how poor of a journalist he is. The garbage he submits is frequently chock full of errors.

Gil LeBreton

Unless it's changed from when I walked out the door in summer of 2017, S-T writers DO write their own headlines. I think they also pick their own online photos and edit their own content. They used to have a great team of copy editors -- solid newspaper guys -- but they let them all go.
In fact, S-T writers are encouraged to write provocative headlines these days, because it attracts clicks...and, well, spurs conversations in fan forums. (sigh)

Last edited:

Froglaw

Unless it's changed from when I walked out the door in summer of 2017, S-T writers DO write their own headlines. I think they also pick their own online photos and edit their own content. They used to have a great team of copy editors -- solid newspaper guys -- but they let them all go.
In fact, S-T writers are encouraged to write provocative headlines these days, because it attracts clicks...and, well, spurs conversations in fan forums. (sigh)

I miss the physical feel of reading a newspaper on Sunday morning.

Other than the Press Box, I rarely read past the second paragraphs.

Thoughts, arguments, insight, facts, etc all get lost in the headlines designed for clicks and not for a good story.

Sad!

Edit: My first job was throwing papers for the DMN full time and the Times Herald during the summers. It was the greatest job a teenager could have.

Pharm Frog

I guess most if not all of what I learned about print journalism is dead now. Did UIL do away with Headline Writing in the academic competition?