• The KillerFrogs

Lupton Stadium Renovations

LeagueCityFrog

Football donors > Baseball donors and it isn’t close. Again, it’s not that they don’t exist, but just not in any real size and there’s only one “BMD” in the bunch.

$75 million for that stadium... That’d take us probably 10 years to raise, minimum.

And your right Bosch wouldn’t approve of the campaign right now anyways, they want all $$ headed to the campaign.
Is the goal to push TCU's endowment over $2 Billion?

Is the goal to push TCU's endowment over $2 Billion?

Essentially, yes, or at least to $2bn in the near term to help cover some academic expansion Bosch is planning (think: More medical school related stuff, maybe law, other graduate, etc) and increase the financial aid spread to make the university more competitive. They’d love for TCU to be 50-75 nationally academically and much more affordable relative to its peers in 10 years.

ticketfrog123

Essentially, yes, or at least to $2bn in the near term to help cover some academic expansion Bosch is planning (think: More medical school related stuff, maybe law, other graduate, etc) and increase the financial aid spread to make the university more competitive. They’d love for TCU to be 50-75 nationally academically and much more affordable relative to its peers in 10 years.

not sure if that affordability piece is happening. Acceptance rate is hovering around 48% now (implies the scholarships aren’t keeping up to some extent) and was low 40’s a few years back. Hit 38% in 2016

not sure if that affordability piece is happening. Acceptance rate is hovering around 48% now (implies the scholarships aren’t keeping up to some extent) and was low 40’s a few years back. Hit 38% in 2016
Yup--was a change in Admissions administration in 2016 bc of difference in direction thus the decrease in selectivity (School admin does not want to be a Rice--former Admissions did--TCU Admin wants to be more of a Baylor).

Last edited:
Agree with all but the law school is the pref of very, very few. We lost out on Wesleyan (would have been a great grab). No intentions to start our own at this point.

cheese83

The dang stadium isn't even 20 years old. I hate this trend.

I completely agree, the stadium is fine. There are a good amt of die hard college baseball fans on this board but I’d argue that a large portion of TCU fans don’t really care or know much about the team.
Why not bring in the fence a little more for an increase in HRs? I know there’s a lot of purists on here but your average fan just wants to see some runs scored and HRs.

GoFrog Yourself

I completely agree, the stadium is fine. There are a good amt of die hard college baseball fans on this board but I’d argue that a large portion of TCU fans don’t really care or know much about the team.
Why not bring in the fence a little more for an increase in HRs? I know there’s a lot of purists on here but your average fan just wants to see some runs scored and HRs.

The stadium is still very nice but the seat configuration should be redone to add more seats/update the concourse.

Fence was moved in a couple of years ago, not sure it needs to be moved again. Anyone who needs to see more home runs to watch a baseball game can piss off.

Agree with all but the law school is the pref of very, very few. We lost out on Wesleyan (would have been a great grab). No intentions to start our own at this point.

From the chatter I've heard, a partnership along the lines of the UNTHSC has been discussed with another regional partner. Probably won't happen, but maybe...

ticketfrog123

Yup--was a change in Admissions administration in 2016 bc of difference in direction thus the decrease in selectivity (School admin does not want to be a Rice--former Admissions did--TCU Admin wants to be more of a Baylor).

thats interesting and I was unaware of that change. Had always heard good things about Ray. Hope it was his decision, he had an excellent background.

I always thought the strategic plan was to increase academic reputation and selectivity of acceptance to mirror something like Vanderbilt more than Baylor.

can’t find the succinct graphic but all this stuff

https://www.tcu.edu/strategic-plan/index.php

FWTFrog

As you said the stadium is fine. But I'd say fine for a mid-tier program which we haven't been since joining the Big 12. There is obviously a need for more actual seats in the stadium with reserved seats being sold out for years. Another major issue with the Lupton is that there have been no new bathrooms constructed since the stadium was built, and we have to bring in port-a-potties for GA in the outfield. A consistent top 25 team should not have to do that.

It's time to revamp Lupton Stadium to match the expectations of the program.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
As you said the stadium is fine. But I'd say fine for a mid-tier program which we haven't been since joining the Big 12. There is obviously a need for more actual seats in the stadium with reserved seats being sold out for years. Another major issue with the Lupton is that there have been no new bathrooms constructed since the stadium was built, and we have to bring in port-a-potties for GA in the outfield. A consistent top 25 team should not have to do that.

It's time to revamp Lupton Stadium to match the expectations of the program.
Sure, the place is "sold out" but I wonder what the actual turnstile count is vs. the number of tickets sold? Seems like there's an awful lot of people disguised as empty seats most games...

As to the bathroom situation, the very first game it was crowded. Of course, part of that had to do with the fact that it was insanely cold that night, and the bathrooms gave one a respite from the biting wind, but you are correct in that there are far too few holes for the number of seats in the place. This was very apparent during the Regionals and Supers, when there were far more in attendance than designed for. That is no small fix, either.*

When The Lup was designed and built, it was a showcase. There were few facilities that could match it. Now, everybody has gotten into the game and the old girl has been lapped. As noted, the money simply isn't there to hit the Big Reset Button right now, so a few more seasons of good revenue and hopefully a lot of wins will bring some donors to the fore. Winning solves a great many things.

*It might be prudent to get something designed and approved/permitted before His Fraudulence and the Henchmen from Hell designate 238 different sexes, all of whom need their own bathrooms...

thats interesting and I was unaware of that change. Had always heard good things about Ray. Hope it was his decision, he had an excellent background.

I always thought the strategic plan was to increase academic reputation and selectivity of acceptance to mirror something like Vanderbilt more than Baylor.

can’t find the succinct graphic but all this stuff

https://www.tcu.edu/strategic-plan/index.php
Brown was hired by Ferrari from to increase the academic profile of TCU (like he did at Marquette and UofChicago), and he did here, too.) When Ray retired, TCU was the second most selective school in Texas (compared to the eighth when he arrived). I believe it was purely a decision of him wanting to spend more time with his grandkiddos. Great guy.

Isn't our ballpark the reason we almost lost Schloss?
There were a couple of things, that included, and some of which have since been resolved. Do not mistake that for Schloss no longer wanting a upgraded/new facility: He most certainly does.

Other programs have thrown the moon at him. Blessed to still have him.

We need this for bottle service...
200w.gif

I'd eat a mile of...