• The KillerFrogs

Luken Baker Injury Video

Based on how his arm whipped backwards, my best guess...

- Dislocated elbow
- Torn ligament
- Fracture or break in the epicondyle bone, maybe a break in the radius or ulna near the elbow
- Severe strain (but that seems unlikely given the tweets today)

All of these would likely, 99%, rule Baker out for the season. A minor fracture MIGHT have him back but I doubt it.

tcuseagull

That's a tough play for Wymer at home or at first. I don't blame him. And it's really tough to tell if that was intentionally dirty. Just rotten luck for Baker. Sucks.

Pharm Frog

That's a tough play for Wymer at home or at first. I don't blame him. And it's really tough to tell if that was intentionally dirty. Just rotten luck for Baker. Sucks.

It was not intentionally dirty. The baserunner did what any baserunner in that situation would do. He ran as close to the line as he could as he closed in on the bag and maybe a tad bit inside of it. I would have done the same thing and it would have had nothing to do with an "intent to injure"...just an intent to give myself the best chance of being safe.

I do wish I could find a brief discussion we had on this board regarding a safety base. I argue in favor of that all the while knowing that it will likely never happen because of the "architecture of the field". Its one of the very very few things that I am not a traditionalist about. Just seen too many collisions at first base with pitchers, first basemen, and runners getting hurt. That's a very small piece of real estate for two men to occupy made even worse by the range of reach and constraint of path.

Opintel

Moderators
That OU [ Finebaum ] was not in the running lane - he was definitely too far to the left. [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ].

Make 'em pay.

Tumbleweed

I want Baker to be okay!! I'm sure he will be but it may take time to heal. I'm sure Wymer feels like a dog but does this team have what he takes to respond to this kind of adversity! This is a big one no doubt.

Now is the time for some of those guys who have been around to take charge of this team's emotions.

Punter1

It was not intentionally dirty. The baserunner did what any baserunner in that situation would do. He ran as close to the line as he could as he closed in on the bag and maybe a tad bit inside of it. I would have done the same thing and it would have had nothing to do with an "intent to injure"...just an intent to give myself the best chance of being safe.

I do wish I could find a brief discussion we had on this board regarding a safety base. I argue in favor of that all the while knowing that it will likely never happen because of the "architecture of the field". Its one of the very very few things that I am not a traditionalist about. Just seen too many collisions at first base with pitchers, first basemen, and runners getting hurt. That's a very small piece of real estate for two men to occupy made even worse by the range of reach and constraint of path.

I've always been a fan of the safety base. I hate those collisions and I hate even more seeing runners get tagged out when over sliding or get pushed off 2nd and 3rd base.

They've made all kinds of adjustments to make home plate safer. Obviously 1st base gets tons more traffic.

Pharm Frog

Suggesting the OU kid did something intentionally dirty is silly. Who the hell TRIES to run into Luken Baken with the expectation of Luken being the one that gets hurt?

Now....that said (and I 100% agree). There is a kid on the Wichita State team that most definitely would have done something like that with an intention to harm. He fancies himself as a hard nosed ball player but he hasn't realized that he's simply a jackass that needs to be thrashed within an inch of his career. I hope that someone up there has beaten that crap out of him by now.

HToady

Went to Land Thieves to see there take. Barely a mention. Seemed to be more pre occupied with beer sales and breaking wind.

The State of Oklahoma doesn't seem to care about college baseball. Not sure why talent would want to play there....

Pharm Frog

Went to Land Thieves to see there take. Barely a mention. Seemed to be more pre occupied with beer sales and breaking wind.

The State of Oklahoma doesn't seem to care about college baseball. Not sure why talent would want to play there....

OU doesn't give a rip about baseball. The rest of the state is pretty passionate about it. Of this I am certain.