• The KillerFrogs

Looks Like Frogs Bucking a Trend

steelfrog

Tier 1
SBJ/SBD Facilities & Franchises: Future Stadiums Likely To Be Smaller

Facility Experts Believe People Will Continue To
Watch Games At Home As Technology Improves

The stadium of the future will be smaller. That was the opinion of a panel of facility experts that spoke yesterday at the SBJ/SBD Facilities & Franchises conference during a session entitled, “Facility Design: A Look Ahead to 2020.” The panel featured Dennis Braham; Delaware North Cos. VP/Food & Beverage Richard Dobransky; AECOM Ellerbe Becket Principal Paul Griesemer; Turner Construction VP & GM Dale Koger; ICON Venue Group President & CEO Tim Romani; and Populous Senior Principal Dennis Wellner. Koger said, “As 3D technology and 3D monitors get better, people will continue to watch at home. Others have argued that the venues will be driven more by broadcast production capabilities than butts in the seats and (all of that means) venues will be smaller.”

Griesemer said that as venues get smaller, owners will look to create longer gameday experiences for fans so that they can still generate sufficient revenue around games. He added, “How do I get them to games sooner? How do I get them to enjoy food and beverage longer?” Griesemer believes that will lead to the development of real estate around stadiums to draw fans.

But Wellner disagreed about the downsizing of venues, saying, “What you will never have at home is that adrenaline rush of sitting beside someone who's really excited about what happened on the field. The good news is technology is for all of us changing. ... Technology will happen easier in these buildings. It's almost a slam dunk. That's the good news because that will tie into younger fans.”

TAKING IT OUTSIDE: The development of Cowboys Stadium and its use for events like the NBA All-Star Game and boxing fights has caused some to wonder if the next trend in stadium development will be a return to multi-purpose facilities. But Wellner said that is unlikely and pointed out that Cowboys Stadium was a football stadium first. He added, “I think that we get back to an extreme if we ever go back to baseball/football. There's a great deal of moving and changing because their only commonality is they're both sports venues.”

An increase in venues like Cowboys Stadium presents a challenge for the industry because they take big events like the NCAA tournament away from other places that hosted those events in the past, said Braham. He added, “They're migrating to those stadiums because they want the revenues.”

That creates problems for other stadiums and municipalities that have relied on those events.

The other trend in multi-purpose development is the creation of multi-use properties near stadiums like AECOM Ellerbe Becket is designing near the Louisiana Superdome. Griesemer said, “This is part of what stadium development will be looking at in the future. Not just the stadium itself but what are the other revenue opportunities for my owner for my municipality that make this more than just a game experience.”

Cougar/Frog

I am sorry, but as nice as a bar or home could be for enjoying a football game, attending the game is a lot better (well, except for all those who hang in the parking lots watching TVs at TCU).... I am pretty sure that schools like Texas and Penn State and Michigan and Tennessee while keep expanding at the maximum possible....

Just like movie theaters are still going strong after everyone has HD big screens with good sound and crystal clear content....

Big Frog II

As the stadium is being built, one side then the other, it will hold a few thousand less after the west side is completed and a few thousand more once the east side is completed. What the new Amon Cater will have are party patios on two levels in the north endzone to handle SRO crowds.

gonzy

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Apr 9 2010, 03:43 PM) [snapback]542661[/snapback]
As the stadium is being built, one side then the other, it will hold a few thousand less after the west side is completed and a few thousand more once the east side is completed. What the new Amon Cater will have are party patios on two levels in the north endzone to handle SRO crowds.

we need at least 50,000 seats. if they don't do that they'll be wishing they had done that later.

ShivasFrog

QUOTE(sapo @ Apr 9 2010, 04:24 PM) [snapback]542679[/snapback]
we need at least 50,000 seats. if they don't do that they'll be wishing they had done that later.

Reportedly, the plans allow for expansion to 50k when/if the need arises.

halfwaytoheaven

QUOTE(ShivasFrog @ Apr 9 2010, 04:29 PM) [snapback]542682[/snapback]

I'm in favor of that plan. It will keep the amount of work they need to do in a couple of off-seasons to a minimum, and we have a better chance of getting a sell-out when its completed. 50,000+ can wait.

Endless Purple

As technology for the home gets better, so will the capabilities of the stadiums. The technology is available now to set up stadium wide wi-fi that can be accessed from each seat with an ipad or other netbook to watch the replay up close (pause, etc) and pull up stats, other scores in a way that keeps you at the game where you still have 30, 50, 100,000 people around you yelling. A complete interactive experience while being in the stadium. That's just for starters.

Portland Frog

QUOTE(halfwaytoheaven @ Apr 9 2010, 07:58 PM) [snapback]542627[/snapback]
How are we bucking the trend? Our new stadium will have fewer seats than the current one.

Exactly. Bucking the trend would mean we put in 60k right off the top. We are pulling an SMU, which is exactly the trend: "We can add later, if needed."

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
QUOTE(Endless Purple @ Apr 9 2010, 10:38 PM) [snapback]542697[/snapback]
As technology for the home gets better, so will the capabilities of the stadiums. The technology is available now to set up stadium wide wi-fi that can be accessed from each seat with an ipad or other netbook to watch the replay up close (pause, etc) and pull up stats, other scores in a way that keeps you at the game where you still have 30, 50, 100,000 people around you yelling. A complete interactive experience while being in the stadium. That's just for starters.

I can sit in my easy chair watching my big screen at home and check my laptop there. Why in the world would I want to do that at the stadium? The stadium experience is completely different. Good grief, I hope we're not headed to a future of plugged-in geeks sitting on their fat patotties, following their fantasy stats. If you want to go to the game, go to the game. If you want to play World of Warcraft, stay home.

PurplePutt

QUOTE(ShivasFrog @ Apr 9 2010, 04:29 PM) [snapback]542682[/snapback]

That is now IMO.