• The KillerFrogs

Lonta Hobbs

Frog_Fan71

Just for the sake of noting the relevance of a topic vs. those that care about the subject or the subject material. This thread has over 1,000 views. It is nice to know that Lonta has the interest of so many.

It would be good, indeed, if he somehow found a way to complete his degree, to move on to a better life.

PurplePutt

Vess didn't graduate? Can't imagine going to TCU for 4 years (at least) and not getting a degree in something that would pay more than 200 a week. Sad. Surely these guys could teach Health and coach football in a high school somewhere?

Stiff Arm Frog

QUOTE(PurplePutt @ Apr 5 2010, 02:46 AM) [snapback]540616[/snapback]
Vess didn't graduate? Can't imagine going to TCU for 4 years (at least) and not getting a degree in something that would pay more than 200 a week. Sad. Surely these guys could teach Health and coach football in a high school somewhere?

Not exactly. Most publics schools require their coaches to teach a subject, too. And guess what? If you weren't qualified to graduate from college, you're not qualified to teach in a public school. In fact, you're forbidden by law.

If he doesn't have a college degree, I'm not sure what he can do. I'd suggest he get a real estate license, maybe sell cars or something.

PurplePutt

QUOTE(Stiff Arm Frog @ Apr 5 2010, 03:09 AM) [snapback]540617[/snapback]
Not exactly. Most publics schools require their coaches to teach a subject, too. And guess what? If you weren't qualified to graduate from college, you're not qualified to teach in a public school. In fact, you're forbidden by law.

If he doesn't have a college degree, I'm not sure what he can do. I'd suggest he get a real estate license, maybe sell cars or something.

Understand that. Just saying that attending college and playing ball for four years without getting a degree in at least something that you can get a teachers certificate for seems insane. PE, Health, something. Go finish up at UTA or Tarleton State, anywhere and at least take all that knowledge from the football program and translate it into a way to at least make a living.

gdu

QUOTE(Frog_Fan71 @ Apr 5 2010, 05:01 AM) [snapback]540606[/snapback]
It is a well known fact that GP recruits not only athletes, but also those that are of good character. In fact, character, is the first of the qualifications that a player "MUST" possess before any offer is extended. GP himself stated that even if he could recruit a 5* player, he would forego that player solely based on talent alone. The player must be of good character above all else. Then, and only then, is athletic prowess evaluated.

Though, Hobbs may have been the mark of good happenstance, where prison overcrowding was a primary determining factor. The moral character is the first variable that is considered by any court of law in this country. Yes, this is truly where CGP excels above his constituents in this matter. This is really the common denominator, as to why TCU has ascended to the heights that it has in the past 12 years.

Life in and of its self is but a game of chance. Make the wrong choice and the penalty could be disastrous. Make the right choice, and you will succeed. Even if that choice initially leads to failure. For it is from failure, which all success is born.

And that may be well and good, but that doesn't mean that the judge give a ( I'm an uneducated idiot that uses profanity) that he went to TCU. The judge would have looked at his character, not the average character of guys TCU recruits like you said.

CGP's constituents? How old are you? I think you mean peers.

And when you recruit as many kids as CGP has in his time at TCU, some are not going to be of good character no matter how hard you try to limit yourself to those. Just the way it is.

bullfrog69

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 5 2010, 08:38 AM) [snapback]540653[/snapback]
And that may be well and good, but that doesn't mean that the judge give a ( I'm an uneducated idiot that uses profanity) that he went to TCU. The judge would have looked at his character, not the average character of guys TCU recruits like you said.

CGP's constituents? How old are you? I think you mean peers.

And when you recruit as many kids as CGP has in his time at TCU, some are not going to be of good character no matter how hard you try to limit yourself to those. Just the way it is.

i'm pretty sure the reason hobbs got off lightly there is because he was sort of a hometown hero. i remember the the da or sheriff or whoever commented in an article on him a while backsaying that it was difficult to have to charge him because everyone knew him in the town.

Frogo

QUOTE(bullfrog69 @ Apr 5 2010, 04:31 PM) [snapback]540736[/snapback]
i'm pretty sure the reason hobbs got off lightly there is because he was sort of a hometown hero. i remember the the da or sheriff or whoever commented in an article on him a while backsaying that it was difficult to have to charge him because everyone knew him in the town.

The sad reality is that a criminal conviction makes a person almost unemployable. It's there on every background search and employers don't want to take risks with anyone with a felony conviction. I wish it were different.

jack the frog

QUOTE(Frogo @ Apr 5 2010, 10:49 AM) [snapback]540751[/snapback]
The sad reality is that a criminal conviction makes a person almost unemployable. It's there on every background search and employers don't want to take risks with anyone with a felony conviction. I wish it were different.

With a felony conviction you can come out here to Midland and roughneck, but not much else, even in the oil patch.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(3RD DOWN 33 @ Apr 5 2010, 06:17 PM) [snapback]540876[/snapback]
James did Graduate with a degree in geology.

Ya--my buddy confirms that Vess does have his degree. He just loves football.

JugbandFrog

I knew Hobbs in college. He dated a friend of mine and was a good guy. Heck, the helmet I have is actually his old game helmet.

I will say this about Hobbs, he suffered from a variety of things a young man can find tough to overcome.

1) Being a big shiznit. He was a stud in HS, then he comes to TCU and explodes on the scene. He was a star and didnt have to act any different from that. Some of us will never know what it is like to be in that situation and I can tell you that its hard NOT to think your shiznit dont stink. You can almost do no wrong.

2) Life setbacks. His injuries really derailed his career. He could have really left a huge mark. For someone with that sort of life, its hard to think that you are not as good as you were once told you were. Then it is even harder to try to find some way to live the life you once had and sort of take a backseat in a life.

I will say this about Hobbs, his senior year, he did whatever it took for him to get on the field. In the spring game of that year, I saw him at FB, on all the kick cover units, etc...He played some quality minutes his senior year and it showed a lot for him to keep pushing at it.

As for his degree and other life choices, well, its hard man. I know, I know, stop making excuses for him, but hey, some of us can't even come close to understand how hard it is to transition from being a big shiznit to an average joe.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(jugbandxmas @ Apr 5 2010, 09:42 PM) [snapback]541058[/snapback]
I knew Hobbs in college. He dated a friend of mine and was a good guy. Heck, the helmet I have is actually his old game helmet.

I will say this about Hobbs, he suffered from a variety of things a young man can find tough to overcome.

1) Being a big shiznit. He was a stud in HS, then he comes to TCU and explodes on the scene. He was a star and didnt have to act any different from that. Some of us will never know what it is like to be in that situation and I can tell you that its hard NOT to think your shiznit dont stink. You can almost do no wrong.

Hell he wasn't really a stud in high school. Maybe in basketball, but not really in football. Clarksville didn't win a game that year either (or that could have been our junior year).

hornfrogdad55

QUOTE(PurplePutt @ Apr 5 2010, 07:46 AM) [snapback]540616[/snapback]

James Vess did graduate with a degree in Geology

BABYFACE

While I am not in education, some of ya'll would be surprised that even school ISD's are laying off due to cutbacks. It is a tough economy for most.