• The KillerFrogs

Lonta Hobbs

frogbyproxy

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2010/a...ers_brief_4-04/

Quarterback David Short threw for 208 yards and three touchdowns Saturday afternoon, leading the No. 8 Wichita Falls Vipers to a 36-13 win over the No. 10 Waco Thunder in a battle of Minor Professional Football League North Division rivals.

Short connected with wide receiver Denis Short on passes of 15 and 8 yards, and a 16-yard strike to wideout Heath Jones.

Lonta Hobbs, a former TCU product, rushed for 70 yards and pounded in a 9-yard score, while teammate Steven Harper rumbled for 98 yards and a 22-yard rushing TD. As a team the Vipers racked up 220 yards on the ground in a well-rounded offensive attack.

"We're very balanced offensively and consistently moving the ball," Vipers coach Rick Taylor said. "Our defense put a lot of pressure on them, and the secondary got us some coverage sacks."

The Vipers held the Thunder to just 177 offensive yards — 99 rushing, 78 passing — racked up five sacks and picked off the QB three times.

Former Midwestern State player Brandon Minniefield led the team with seven-and-a-half tackles and one INT, Trent Branch had six tackles and an interception, Roderick Davis had six-and-a-half tackles and a sack, John Brown had an INT and Chasley Walker and Omar Jones both recorded a pair of sacks.

The Vipers (4-0) will next travel to take on the Sun City Noels in El Paso, Texas.

For more information, visit the team's Web site at www.wichitafallsvipers.com

Ohiofrog

hopefully he is getting his life back on track. could be wrong, but dont think he got his degree, which puts you right back where you started. Seemed like a great kid, hope he has learned and is moving on.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(dannyfrog @ Apr 4 2010, 08:23 AM) [snapback]540438[/snapback]
I thought Lonta was arrested here a few years back for dealing cocaine at the local high school?

Arrested, convicted and sent to prison. He was released shortly thereafter for reasons I don't know.

ross

KMA
released because he was a first time offender with no prior issues and because he was not considered a threat to be a repeat offender. Talked to Lonta a few months ago he was trying to find work, wanted to finish school and get his life back in order. A good kid who made a bad choice after being influenced by a family member. IMO a kid who deserves a second chance.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(ross @ Apr 4 2010, 09:35 AM) [snapback]540448[/snapback]
released because he was a first time offender with no prior issues and because he was not considered a threat to be a repeat offender. Talked to Lonta a few months ago he was trying to find work, wanted to finish school and get his life back in order. A good kid who made a bad choice after being influenced by a family member. IMO a kid who deserves a second chance.

Good to hear Ross. Let's hope he gets it back together.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(ross @ Apr 4 2010, 09:35 AM) [snapback]540448[/snapback]

Very lucky....federal sentencing guidelines leave very little wiggle room. Glad to hear he's headed in the right direction....I enjoyed my time around him.

Frog_Fan71

I can't help but think that being a player at TCU and being coached by GP and staff had some basis for their judgement in believing that Lonta would not be in trouble again. This is a character issue, but they truly believe that he has learned his lesson. Much in the same manner that GP and staff teaches them to be accountable.

That truly is a win in life.

bullfrog69

QUOTE(Frog_Fan71 @ Apr 4 2010, 11:51 AM) [snapback]540486[/snapback]
I can't help but think that being a player at TCU and being coached by GP and staff had some basis for their judgement in believing that Lonta would not be in trouble again. This is a character issue, but they truly believe that he has learned his lesson. Much in the same manner that GP and staff teaches them to be accountable.

who pulled the strings for hobbs? no other way to get out of something that serious (school premises)

Young and Horned

I highly doubt it had anything to do with him playing football at TCU. If that was the case, LaMarcus McDonald wouldnt have had a different outcome.

I think they could just tell that Lonta is a good person who made a bad decision. It happens. Had a few classes with him. He was a great person and engaged people who had nothing to do with football. He was just a nice guy and still is. Best of luck to him and his future.

steelfrog

Tier 1
A friend of mine had lunch with James Vess a couple weeks ago out in Midland; I guess he is playing, maybe in this league, for a team called the Rattlers or something. He said that this is a total dog's life. The pay is like $200 a week, unless you win, and then it's $250; they put them up in really crappy hotels and if you don't get to the buffet line early, they run out of food. He was not a particularly happy camper, I gathered.

Also, interestingly, Vess said he had very little day to day contact with HCGP during his career. Just the assistants. This does not mirror my fairly limited (as a walk on) experience with The Great Jim Wacker, who seemed to go out of his way to make me feel special. I'm sure everyone felt this way. I remember one time, he's like "Looking pale this morning Mr. Steel." I said yes sir. And he put his arm around me and told me that the effects of drinking effect your motor system for two weeks. That scared the living crud out of me, true or not.

You see, I was a dumbass then--and things don't change a whole lot, do they?

Borat Sagdiyev

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Apr 4 2010, 11:31 PM) [snapback]540538[/snapback]
A friend of mine had lunch with James Vess a couple weeks ago out in Midland; I guess he is playing, maybe in this league, for a team called the Rattlers or something. He said that this is a total dog's life. The pay is like $200 a week, unless you win, and then it's $250; they put them up in really crappy hotels and if you don't get to the buffet line early, they run out of food. He was not a particularly happy camper, I gathered.

Also, interestingly, Vess said he had very little day to day contact with HCGP during his career. Just the assistants. This does not mirror my fairly limited (as a walk on) experience with The Great Jim Wacker, who seemed to go out of his way to make me feel special. I'm sure everyone felt this way. I remember one time, he's like "Looking pale this morning Mr. Steel." I said yes sir. And he put his arm around me and told me that the effects of drinking effect your motor system for two weeks. That scared the living crud out of me, true or not.

You see, I was a dumbass then--and things don't change a whole lot, do they?

Vess is spot on about contact with GP. I had zero relationship with him, and the same could be said about most players who kept out of trouble. GP really only talked to the bad kids because he felt he needed to try to keep them out of trouble.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(Young and Horned @ Apr 4 2010, 01:43 PM) [snapback]540504[/snapback]
I highly doubt it had anything to do with him playing football at TCU. If that was the case, LaMarcus McDonald wouldnt have had a different outcome.

Lamarcus' sentencing probably had more to do with the fact that he was carrying a .357 and had his infant child in the backseat when he was arrested. Just sayin'.

gdu

QUOTE(Frog_Fan71 @ Apr 4 2010, 04:51 PM) [snapback]540486[/snapback]

Gimme a break. I love CGP, but that is just ridiculous.

Tucson Frog

QUOTE(ross @ Apr 4 2010, 02:35 PM) [snapback]540448[/snapback]

It would be nice if he can finish his education. He could do worse than Midwestern State. I collected a few hours in education there back in the dark ages.

I wish him the best.

Frog_Fan71

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 4 2010, 09:35 PM) [snapback]540578[/snapback]
Gimme a break. I love CGP, but that is just ridiculous.

It is a well known fact that GP recruits not only athletes, but also those that are of good character. In fact, character, is the first of the qualifications that a player "MUST" possess before any offer is extended. GP himself stated that even if he could recruit a 5* player, he would forego that player solely based on talent alone. The player must be of good character above all else. Then, and only then, is athletic prowess evaluated.

Though, Hobbs may have been the mark of good happenstance, where prison overcrowding was a primary determining factor. The moral character is the first variable that is considered by any court of law in this country. Yes, this is truly where CGP excels above his constituents in this matter. This is really the common denominator, as to why TCU has ascended to the heights that it has in the past 12 years.

Life in and of its self is but a game of chance. Make the wrong choice and the penalty could be disastrous. Make the right choice, and you will succeed. Even if that choice initially leads to failure. For it is from failure, which all success is born.

Frog_Fan71

BTW, the spell check for this forum is exceedingly lacking when it comes to contractions or other words of advanced vocabulary.