• The KillerFrogs

Longmont Times-Call: Broncos’ OL Austin Schlottmann rising on depth chart with position flexibility

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TDP-L-BRONCOS-072219-FJA-_FJA1939a-1.jpg

Longmont Times-Call: Broncos’ OL Austin Schlottmann rising on depth chart with position flexibility

By Kyle Fredrickson |

Austin Schlottmann signed with the Broncos last year as an undrafted offensive lineman and quickly contacted a close friend since childhood predictably thrilled by the news.

Here’s the twist: That friend, wide receiver Courtland Sutton, joined Schlottmann in the Broncos’ 2018 rookie class.

“I texted (Sutton) a picture of us together in high school after one of his touchdowns celebrating,” Schlottmann said. “I was like, ‘Looks like we might be able to do this a little bit more.’”

Read more at https://www.timescall.com/2019/08/23/broncos-austin-schlottmann-nfl-preseason/

4 Oaks Frog

TDP-L-BRONCOS-072219-FJA-_FJA1939a-1.jpg

By Kyle Fredrickson |

Austin Schlottmann signed with the Broncos last year as an undrafted offensive lineman and quickly contacted a close friend since childhood predictably thrilled by the news.

Here’s the twist: That friend, wide receiver Courtland Sutton, joined Schlottmann in the Broncos’ 2018 rookie class.

“I texted (Sutton) a picture of us together in high school after one of his touchdowns celebrating,” Schlottmann said. “I was like, ‘Looks like we might be able to do this a little bit more.’”

Read more at https://www.timescall.com/2019/08/23/broncos-austin-schlottmann-nfl-preseason/

...Sutton added: “It was so dope, man. Me and Austin have been boys since middle school. We played little league football, baseball and all these different things together.”

WHUT?...

GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Billy Clyde

I believe we knew about him but didn't offer. His only P5 offer was Colorado. He wasn't fast and he was considered more of a defensive prospect coming out of high school.

If I'm understanding the article he was a TE in HS? Not trying to be a smartass, but did he grow a bunch and/or get faster in college? Maybe we need a Kreskin evaluator for Offensive players who can project them at the next level the way Gary does for Defensive guys.

Planks

I think Sutton was another
I believe we knew about him but didn't offer. His only P5 offer was Colorado. He wasn't fast and he was considered more of a defensive prospect coming out of high school.

I believe this is correct. He didn’t run well so we didn’t offer. TCU places a premium on speed and sometimes that leads to misses in recruiting, just the way it is. It was the same reason we didn’t offer Josh Doctson.

Eight

first, brenham was not exactly a wide open offense so no one in that offense was catching the number of balls you see from some kids coming out of high school today.

second, the summer passing leagues were not what they have become today so you don't have kids working on throwing and catching the football all year round.

third, if i recall correctly sutton was a 3-sport athlete so he very much had cross over physical skills such as hand and eye co-ordination from playing basketball and baseball, but he wasn't in a lifting and running program year round.

finally, the big, physical receiver was just starting to get in vogue in college. he wasn't then going to run away from anyone, but he was a legit 6'3" and 200 lbs so he was tough to cover for smaller corners and if you have a fairly accurate quarterback he was going to win those battles.

now most schools have one of those bigger receivers (frogs have a number on the sideline the past few years never playing) and a guy like sutton would have gotten much more notice today than then.

NavyFrog

If I'm understanding the article he was a TE in HS? Not trying to be a smartass, but did he grow a bunch and/or get faster in college? Maybe we need a Kreskin evaluator for Offensive players who can project them at the next level the way Gary does for Defensive guys.
Sutton was a WR at Brenham HS not a TE. He wasn't Reagor fast but he wasn't slow either. He had great hands. All we had to do was offer and he would have been Frog

ECM

Sutton was committed to BYU and flipped to SMU on signing day. I remember June Jones saying he thought he’d either be a safety or a 3-4 pass rushing OLB. Chad Morris was the best thing that ever happened to Courtland — he’s not the fastest but an absolute freak athlete otherwise.