• The KillerFrogs

Lincoln Riley to USC

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
OU target list speculation from OK sportswriter (aka Santa Wish List):

Dave Aranda: The architect of a Baylor and LSU defense that slowed Lincoln Riley, Aranda has the Bears (10-2) playing in the Big 12 championship game this weekend.

Shane Beamer: A former OU assistant (2018-20), Beamer has turned South Carolina from a 2-8 team to 6-6 bowl-eligible team this season.

Joe Brady: The Carolina Panthers’ offensive coordinator, he guided LSU’s offense during the 2019 national championship season.

Matt Campbell: The Iowa State coach has built his program into one of the Big 12’s best. He’s a two-time Big 12 coach of the year. How could he do at OU?

Mario Cristobal: The Oregon coach helped the Ducks go on a CFP run this season before a late-season loss to Utah. Oregon has won back-to-back Pac-12 titles.

Luke Fickell: Fickell has Cincinnati in position to become the first non-Power 5 school to make the College Football Playoff. With Cincy headed to the Big 12, would he consider moving to OU and the SEC?

Alex Grinch: OU’s defensive coordinator has never been a head coach but has a grasp of the program after spending the past three seasons on campus.

Josh Heupel: The quarterback of OU’s last national championship team, he’s turning Tennessee around after going 28-8 as UCF’s head coach.

Lane Kiffin: Ole Miss is headed to a New Year’s 6 Bowl this season. He’s also coached at Tennessee, USC and Florida Atlantic.

Bob Stoops: The man with a statue outside Memorial Stadium would be a home-run hire. But does Stoops want to get back into coaching?

Mark Stoops: The younger brother of Bob Stoops, has brought success as Kentucky’s head coach. The Wildcats are 9-3 this season. He’s only two victories behind Paul “Bear” Bryant’s 60-win school record.

Brent Venables: An OU assistant coach between 1999-2011, he’s guided some of Clemson’s top defenses as coordinator. He’s a name OU fans are familiar with.

geefrogs

OU target list speculation from OK sportswriter (aka Santa Wish List):

Dave Aranda: The architect of a Baylor and LSU defense that slowed Lincoln Riley, Aranda has the Bears (10-2) playing in the Big 12 championship game this weekend.

Shane Beamer: A former OU assistant (2018-20), Beamer has turned South Carolina from a 2-8 team to 6-6 bowl-eligible team this season.

Joe Brady: The Carolina Panthers’ offensive coordinator, he guided LSU’s offense during the 2019 national championship season.

Matt Campbell: The Iowa State coach has built his program into one of the Big 12’s best. He’s a two-time Big 12 coach of the year. How could he do at OU?

Mario Cristobal: The Oregon coach helped the Ducks go on a CFP run this season before a late-season loss to Utah. Oregon has won back-to-back Pac-12 titles.

Luke Fickell: Fickell has Cincinnati in position to become the first non-Power 5 school to make the College Football Playoff. With Cincy headed to the Big 12, would he consider moving to OU and the SEC?

Alex Grinch: OU’s defensive coordinator has never been a head coach but has a grasp of the program after spending the past three seasons on campus.

Josh Heupel: The quarterback of OU’s last national championship team, he’s turning Tennessee around after going 28-8 as UCF’s head coach.

Lane Kiffin: Ole Miss is headed to a New Year’s 6 Bowl this season. He’s also coached at Tennessee, USC and Florida Atlantic.

Bob Stoops: The man with a statue outside Memorial Stadium would be a home-run hire. But does Stoops want to get back into coaching?

Mark Stoops: The younger brother of Bob Stoops, has brought success as Kentucky’s head coach. The Wildcats are 9-3 this season. He’s only two victories behind Paul “Bear” Bryant’s 60-win school record.

Brent Venables: An OU assistant coach between 1999-2011, he’s guided some of Clemson’s top defenses as coordinator. He’s a name OU fans are familiar with.

I'm gonna go with Beamer or Mark Stoops. Already decent SEC success. Could help usher in the transition for OU into the vortex that is swallowing up college football programs.

Rabidfrog

That's kind of like saying we should all be antifa, too...Yes, we should all be warriors of justice and anti-fascist. However, the labels (thanks to the actions of those that adopt said labels) "social justice warrior" and "antifa" have taken completely different meanings in today's parlance from the definitions of the words themselves.
At Stalingrad I'd root for the Antifas any day.

Hearing Fickell, Aranda, with a smattering about Venables. The noise is they want to build for the SEC and think a defense-orientation would work better anyway. One person says that LR knew he was about to become irrelevant in the SEC and is bailing for significantly easier pastures. Hearing no crying about losing Riley. Oddly enough a few folks I just spoke with think he’s soft and wants to make a name for himself as a social justice warrior ala Kerr and Carroll
His response to Covid early on was very interesting. A 180 degree turn from Gundy’s response. It doesn’t shock me that it didn’t play well in Oklahoma.

Limey Frog

I'm gonna go with Beamer or Mark Stoops. Already decent SEC success. Could help usher in the transition for OU into the vortex that is swallowing up college
football programs.

I'm going to say Mark Stoops or Venables. I think Aranda goes to LSU.

I have no sources.

Don't feed the troll, Matt.

As for this 'afraid to compete' thing, obviously no one in the SEC echo chamber can execute either basic arithmetic or logical reasoning. With OU and Texas joining, a 16-member league will have eight members whose fanbases hold at least somewhat historically justifiable expectations of competing for a league championship every year and winning one regularly. Two more have reasonable expectations of doing so every decade or so. Each of these programs pays their coaching staff salaries that are only justifiable by those expectations being met. It isn't possible for them all to meet those expectations. The result is insanity. Why wouldn't a sane person rather go to USC, where you can get paid roughly as much and you actually can win every year?

Last edited:

WIN

I'm going to say Mark Stoops or Venables. I think Aranda goes to LSU.

I have no sources.

Don't feed the troll, Matt.

As for this 'afraid to compete' thing, obviously no one in the SEC echo chamber can execute either basically arithmetic or logical reasoning. With OU and Texas joining, a 16-member league will have eight members whose fanbases hold at least somewhat historically justifiable expectations of competing for a league championship every year and winning one regularly. Two more have reasonable expectations of doing so every decade or so. Each of these programs pays their coaching staff salaries that are only justifiable by those expectations being met. It isn't possible for them all to meet those expectations. The result is insanity. Why wouldn't a sane person rather go to USC, where you can get paid roughly as much and you actually can win every year?
Same thing I said when the big 12 was formed, now they will be beating each other. Someone has to lose.

Wexahu

I'm gonna go with Beamer or Mark Stoops. Already decent SEC success. Could help usher in the transition for OU into the vortex that is swallowing up college football programs.
Mark Stoops is barely over .500 overall at UK and 29-45 in league games. Why would a school like OU consider a coach that has proven to be nothing but mediocre?

/s

FBallFan123

There are very few, if any metro areas where you can’t go from extreme wealth to extreme poverty in a short time.

And I think most people who’ve seen to those metro areas would say it’s different in CA, in part because CA has:

-the largest homeless population of any state in the country

-the largest homeless population unsheltered/living on the street

geefrogs

Mark Stoops is barely over .500 overall at UK and 29-45 in league games. Why would a school like OU consider a coach that has proven to be nothing but mediocre?

/s
we can nit-pick numbers all day.

Look at the last 4 seasons. 10 wins. 8 wins. 5 wins. 9 wins, maybe 10 again. AT A BASKETBALL SCHOOL!!!!!

Did you also look at his last name? Big brother still has a hand in the program.

Wexahu

we can nit-pick numbers all day.

Look at the last 4 seasons. 10 wins. 8 wins. 5 wins. 9 wins, maybe 10 again. AT A BASKETBALL SCHOOL!!!!!

Did you also look at his last name? Big brother still has a hand in the program.
I know. People nitpick according to their bias about a guy going in. That's my point. I think Mark Stoops has proven to be a good coach, despite the overall record. It's very hard to win at Kentucky.

Sound familiar?

geefrogs

I know. People nitpick according to their bias about a guy going in. That's my point. I think Mark Stoops has proven to be a good coach, despite the overall record. It's very hard to win at Kentucky.

Sound familiar?

You're comparing the American Conference with the SEC?

oh god.