• The KillerFrogs

Lincoln Riley to USC

Chongo94

Can't get a really good gauge on Riley as a HC

He inherited a program already on top and never really had to face any challenges. It was all there for him to just manage.

Sure, he is a great offensive mind that creates an offense where a QB can really excel(and win heismans)

It will be interesting what he does in Southern Cal where he isn't exactly given the keys to a Ferrari.
Well he certainly out-coached GP every single time.

FrogAbroad

I'm still trying to figure out how a guy from Muleshoe, TX thinks he's an LA kind of guy...

"Hey, rube!"
As long as those erudite, sophisticated, better-than-the-rest Californios are paying a boatload of money for him to coach their young'uns he's doing a pertty good job of looking like "an LA kind of guy..."

Wexahu

I cringed every time an announcer would claim a classic matchup between an offensive savant and the defense guru/genius of Gary Patterson…when I knew we would be falling behind by 21 in the 1st half and giving up 40+
GP's defense was always great against offenses that were one-dimensional, no matter how "good" those offenses were. He could take away the run, or he could take away the pass, but when he had to do both it didn't work near as well. I know that's kind of the case with all defenses because multi-dimensional offenses are always harder to stop, but with GP's it seemed more drastic.

He couldn't stop OU because they were good at both. And I think as offenses have trended toward balance and running the ball more, that accelerated his decline. His calling card was neutralizing the Air Raid type offenses.

LisaLT

Doggy style?
Snoop Dogg GIF by Cameo
GIF by Snipes

westoverhillbilly

He couldn't stop OU because they were good at both. And I think as offenses have trended toward balance and running the ball more, that accelerated his decline. His calling card was neutralizing the Air Raid type offenses.

His teams overpowered or competed well with those that either had talent but weren't well coached (UT) or were less talented (MWC, CUSA, WAC teams). OU was well coached and had talented kids especially in the trenches..

froginmn

LOL at those pretending that GP wasn't a good coach in the Big 12. He shared a conference title in 2014 and was in the CCG in 2017.

No, he didn't beat OU to win the conference. But OU was 4-0 in CCG's since they were reinstated in 2017 and was the champion in 2016 and 2015 as well.

Eight

LOL at those pretending that GP wasn't a good coach in the Big 12. He shared a conference title in 2014 and was in the CCG in 2017.

No, he didn't beat OU to win the conference. But OU was 4-0 in CCG's since they were reinstated in 2017 and was the champion in 2016 and 2015 as well.

think the frogs' time in the big 12 can be split into two very different time periods 2012-2017 when there were competitive most of the time, even when they had a season such as 2013 they held their own, and 2014, 2015, and 2017 were no doubt the high points and very good teams

things changed in 2018, leave the why's to others but i did not see the same level of play nor competitiveness from those teams that i saw from the teams in the first 6 seasons

Last edited:

Sebastian S

It was probably the 2005 OU win that helped solidify Patterson’s position at TCU, especially after that 2004 season. I was really disappointed at how OU owned us in the Big 12
OU owned the big 12 for the most part since since we joined

The Oklahoma schools dominated TCU outside of a few wins and close games