• The KillerFrogs

Let's Add a Little Fuel to the Fire for Tonight!

Big Frog II

In the old days the Texas Tech fans were fine. I didn't have a problem. Now they are like the Arkansas fans of the 60's, 70's and 80's. I think it has a lot to do with who they admit as students these days in order to "grow" their enrollment. Pretty much anyone with a pulse can get in to school there in Lubbock, and way too many of those people are not your best citizens. Heaven help us all if they ever sell beer at their games.

Frog-in-law1995

Older Tech fans are some of my favorites anywhere. Younger Tech fans are probably my least favorite. I think the problem stems from the school’s geographic isolation. It creates a mindset on campus, especially among those who are from the big cities, that they have to be overzealous in their fandom to stay relevant in the I-35 corridor. It slowly fades away after they move back home and get older.

Or they’re just scheissnuts with safety-school mentality.

Probably both.

BABYFACE

From the Beer Bottle QBs, click below.

The Worst Fanbase in America

Go Frogs! Beat Tech.

Don’t know what happened to the fan base over the last two decades, because Techies used to not be that way. Know quite a few people that went to Tech and all but one are solid individuals. The D-bag one graduated in 2003 and went there when Tech was becoming notorious for their student section behavior.

This behavior is not a West Texas trait. My guess a lot of “too cool for school” blowhards end up at Tech. It appears a decent amount of their enrollment is out of the N. Dallas area.

Chongo94

It’s easy for anyone to point to, especially if you went there, but the dividing line between the nice behavior of Tech fans was Mike Leach’s tenure. That’s when most became the agitating fans they are today, particularly in regards to their lack of reality whether with the program or anyone else’s program.

Virginia Frog

In the old days the Texas Tech fans were fine. I didn't have a problem. Now they are like the Arkansas fans of the 60's, 70's and 80's. I think it has a lot to do with who they admit as students these days in order to "grow" their enrollment. Pretty much anyone with a pulse can get in to school there in Lubbock, and way too many of those people are not your best citizens. Heaven help us all if they ever sell beer at their games.
As the State of Texas has grown and college enrollment has too, there just is not enough space at the two "premier" schools UT &A&M for the best/better in-state students seeking/needing in-state tuition.

So I don't believe that TTech, which is likely the #3 coveted place for in-state Texans, admits the low life element (generally speaking,)

I believe what happens that matriculants to TT (save the Leagacys, West Texans and Plains Texans where maybe it is their #1 choice) are a bit edgy since they failed at admission to their wannabe universities. They are frankly big-time-envious of everyone else that in their mind-set got awarded space at UT/A&M and other top-rated TX privates. They feel a deficit and they want the world to view TT as an "equal."

They are simply "acting out." Bad behavior galore. False pride. (No one wants to be second string, I understand, Raider Nation.)

Deep Purple

TTech, which is likely the #3 coveted place for in-state Texans
Tech has about the same enrollment (38,000) as University of North Texas, and both have smaller enrollments than UT-Arlington (42,000), Texas State (39,000),

So I don't believe it's possible that Tech is "likely the #3 coveted place for in-state Texans."

Eight

Tech has about the same enrollment (38,000) as University of North Texas, and both have smaller enrollments than UT-Arlington (42,000), Texas State (39,000),

So I don't believe it's possible that Tech is "likely the #3 coveted place for in-state Texans."

depends, at one time 2/3 of uta's students were in the country on student visa's and a good number of the students at texas state started elsewhere and transferred in after they got wait listed getting into the various colleges at ut and atm

Pharm Frog

It is not nor is it the reluctant destination for those denied entrance into A&M or UT as suggested by some posters.

Pharm Frog

depends, at one time 2/3 of uta's students were in the country on student visa's and a good number of the students at texas state started elsewhere and transferred in after they got wait listed getting into the various colleges at ut and atm

Not sure I understood this correctly but I’m not buying that 67% of UTA’s students were from foreign countries.

Eight

Not sure I understood this correctly but I’m not buying that 67% of UTA’s students were from foreign countries.

numbers are wrong, but when i grew up in dallas and later when i went to tcu uta was know as university of texas of arabia due to all the foreign students. i know all the students weren't foreign.

don't know the number and i know uta at that time had a very high number of students who were actually adults finishing degrees or going to school while working a full time job

Virginia Frog

#1 UT
#2 A&M

#3 Yes there could be a debate...but for those freshmen who don't want to commute from Mama's & Dadda's house, I suspect that TTech is #3 for most of the Texan High Schoolers after the big two. I could see Texas State as #3 but definitely largely "commuter schools" like University of North Texas, UT-Arl, UT-SA, and Houston are not. (UTEP is really in another world. Texans east of the 38th parallel would not, in the vast majority of cases, be desirous of an ElPaso college experience.)

(Here in old Virginia, HS students covet admission to #1 UVA, #2William and Mary, #3 Va Tech. Then there's a big drop-off. George Mason, Fairfax/Northern VA where VA's largest population resides is the LARGEST Va University. But they would not be #4,. For non-commuter types it's James Madison U. So let's not get caught up in statistics - Bigger doesn't equal demand or desirability.)

BABYFACE

UH is 46k and I didn’t know that. Also didn’t know that they achieved Tier 1 status as a research university within the last 5 years.

UTSA is growing fast and San Antonio is a cool city too. How many total kids apply to colleges in Texas just Texans? How many get accepted? The ones who don’t do they go to lady of the lake or community college? Just curious.

MCFROG III

UH is 46k and I didn’t know that. Also didn’t know that they achieved Tier 1 status as aial research university within the last 5 years.

And UH just got state approval for its medical school this week. Ironically, though a great many of its students do "commute" to campus, it is actually the 2nd largest public residential school in Texas and is constantly (and currently) adding and expanding living space for students.

BABYFACE

And UH just got state approval for its medical school this week. Ironically, though a great many of its students do "commute" to campus, it is actually the 2nd largest public residential school in Texas and is constantly (and currently) adding and expanding living space for students.

We visited over a month ago with my oldest daughter. Stayed on campus at the Hilton. Liked the whole village concept. The plan is the older daughter lives on campus for 4 years. Start in a dorm and move to campus apartment. Almost anything she will need will be on campus and she can walk or ride shuttle to. Easy visiting for me to just stay at the Hilton on campus.

My younger one, a HS junior, wants to attend TCU. Seeing how much I can get for one kidney on the black market.