• The KillerFrogs

Let’s Talk 2018 OL...Our Presumed Weak Spot

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
their offense really got tough to defend when they adding the inside run game with the deep vertical routes. fairly simple in some aspects, but really tough to stop.

i also like how they didn't let down and distance dictate play calling as they always had one route attacking down the field.
They also cheated on every single play and it wasn’t until they finally started getting penalized that they weren’t scoring every minute.

Wexahu

Yeah, it was a really simple, awesome concept. Strong OL with inside power runs mixed with WRs running two routes (deep vertical or comeback).

I've said this before but a MAJOR part of that offense being able to work like it did was the extremely liberal illegal man downfield rule. Not going to fault them, good on them for taking advanatge of it, just pointing out that schematically it almost requires the official to swallow his whistle and let lineman block a little bit downfield for it to work effectively.

4th. down

Yeah, it was a really simple, awesome concept. Strong OL with inside power runs mixed with WRs running two routes (deep vertical or comeback).

Believe this is where we are going and with the RB's we have will be hard to stop. You must cover Reagor deep and at the same time Turp and Barber and throw in Austin and Stewart as possession receivers, it gets tough to defend.

Eight

They also cheated on every single play and it wasn’t until they finally started getting penalized that they weren’t scoring every minute.

they took advantage of the officiating leeway given to them with the downfield blocking and the receiver on the far side of the field running off on the opposite sideline and going around the field instead of across when rotating out.

no different than the way sec officials allow defensive backs to damn near tackle receivers when they release from the line of scrimmage or with the way some offensive lines will line up with the tackles 2-3 yards off the line of scrimmage

i don't know how many times i heard my high school basketball coach tell us that the officials weren't going to adjust to us, we had to adjust to them.

jake102

Just my opinion, but that offense was going to work whether the OL blocked downfield or not. Obviously it helped them out, but that was a hard offense to stop. Corey Coleman either runs by you or if you play deep he turns around for a gimme 10 yard gain. And that's if they weren't running it down the middle for 4-6 yards.

And I agree that we are moving in that direction, I think we saw it last year

Wexahu

Just my opinion, but that offense was going to work whether the OL blocked downfield or not. Obviously it helped them out, but that was a hard offense to stop. Corey Coleman either runs by you or if you play deep he turns around for a gimme 10 yard gain. And that's if they weren't running it down the middle for 4-6 yards.

Maybe so, but if the safeties and linebackers can't recognize whether it's a run or pass play for an extra second or two on virtually every play, it makes it so much harder to defend. It's when you bring your safeties up to stop the run and they hit the long passes when there are lineman run blocking downfield......that's what makes it really, really hard to stop.

Their offense was VERY ordinary when it was a situation where you knew they were going to pass, like 3rd and 12 type stuff. That was pretty much a throwaway down for them because nothing worked without being able to bring defenders up with the run block look.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Maybe so, but if the safeties and linebackers can't recognize whether it's a run or pass play for an extra second or two on virtually every play, it makes it so much harder to defend. It's when you bring your safeties up to stop the run and they hit the long passes when there are lineman run blocking downfield......that's what makes it really, really hard to stop.

Their offense was VERY ordinary when it was a situation where you knew they were going to pass, like 3rd and 12 type stuff. That was pretty much a throwaway down for them because nothing worked without being able to bring defenders up with the run block look.
So basically, in typical Baylor fashion, they can’t succeed without cheating.

The Baylor Way.

Purp

But the downfield blocking was a tool to get defenders out of position. When a safety sees the OL 2 yards down field immediately after the snap he steps up b/c he doesn't need to cover the deep pass. Then the CB is left 1 on 1 when he may have anticipated safety help and you wind up with a ton of 30 second drives going for 70+ yards each game.

As RT said, it was a cheat and it still works to a certain extent b/c refs just don't want to drop a flag on every play.

Wexahu

But the downfield blocking was a tool to get defenders out of position. When a safety sees the OL 2 yards down field immediately after the snap he steps up b/c he doesn't need to cover the deep pass. Then the CB is left 1 on 1 when he may have anticipated safety help and you wind up with a ton of 30 second drives going for 70+ yards each game.

As RT said, it was a cheat and it still works to a certain extent b/c refs just don't want to drop a flag on every play.

btw, Kansas State gets away with it a ton too. That little fake QB draw play they run that is so effective.....lineman downfield almost every single time they run it. A lineman was 6 yards downfield on one particular play in a K-State game I saw...no whistle. Even the announcers were amazed.

jake102

btw, Kansas State gets away with it a ton too. That little fake QB draw play they run that is so effective.....lineman downfield almost every single time they run it. A lineman was 6 yards downfield on one particular play in a K-State game I saw...no whistle. Even the announcers were amazed.

The year they got up to #1 with that Klein guy was ridiculous. They ran that fake run to pass thing that was illegal every single time.

Double V

There's zero chance we are "run heavy" with our RBs. Include QB runs/scrambles and we may eclipse 50%, but not by a significant margin. Remember, this O scheme considers bubble screens and the like as "an extension of the run game."

jake102

There's zero chance we are "run heavy" with our RBs. Include QB runs/scrambles and we may eclipse 50%, but not by a significant margin. Remember, this O scheme considers bubble screens and the like as "an extension of the run game."

Another totally random incorrect statement