• The KillerFrogs

Let’s Talk 2018 OL...Our Presumed Weak Spot

FrogLifeYo

Any insight into why we never do a two-back set (Sewo and Anderson) ever? Oklahoma did that with Mixon/Perrine with great success. You could hand off to either or 1 could run a quick route while the other blocks.

I think it’s mainly due to our offense being a quick read system and having the field stretched sideline to sideline keeps the defense from loading the box. We essentially just take what the defense gives us. Outside of short yardage situations, I don’t see us putting the two of them on the field at the same time.

Also having one of them fresh all the time helps with the fast break aspect of Cumbie’s system

Last edited:

IdiotsAlert

I think your question really centers around is ct the type of o-line coach who believes the positions are fairly interchangeable and you put the five best lineman on the field or you train set certain players for certain positions

based on last year's flipping niang and Pryor inside at times I would guess the first

now who are those 5 won't be decided until pads because line play is fake in shorts

NO

4th. down

Today's Startlegram:

As far as his team is concerned, Patterson is excited about the possibilities for this year’s Horned Frogs. He acknowledged that Shawn Robinson is the leader to be the team’s starting quarterback, and believes his team has the right mindset.

TCU faces a difficult stretch to start the year, particularly with back-to-back games against Ohio State on Sept. 15 and at Texas on Sept. 22.

"There’s a standard. Our kids know what they have to do," Patterson said. "The air conditioner was on the other day at the indoor and a couple came in and asked me to turn it off. They understand for us to get better — the new rules when they cut back on practices, you’re not going to get as many, so you really have to bunch everything in — this group here understands what you have to do.

"We have some big games early in the schedule. I’m actually really excited about the possibilities as long as we can stay healthy going into camp, which we are right now.

"But I’m never going to be too positive about anything this time of year."

curious why you think cumbie will air it out when last year with a senior quarterback and some experienced receivers frogs ran it 530 times and threw it 430 times.
I would be surprised if we weren't pretty balanced in the run/pass with maybe lean toward the run again. If "airing it out" includes throwing downfield more than just the run/pass ratio, I would also be surprised if we don't "air it out" quite a bit more this season.

No need to beat a dead horse but I think everyone knows why some aspects of the offense were not frequently employed last season.

Wexahu

I would be surprised if we weren't pretty balanced in the run/pass with maybe lean toward the run again. If "airing it out" includes throwing downfield more than just the run/pass ratio, I would also be surprised if we don't "air it out" quite a bit more this season.

No need to beat a dead horse but I think everyone knows why some aspects of the offense were not frequently employed last season.

I would guess our offense will be a lot like last years, run-heavy and conservative, but with more deep passes (and less intermediate throws) when we do throw the ball. Especially early in the season until SR proves he can make good decisions and take care of the ball.

yurintroubl

I’d bet you’ll see that this year especially with SR under center. Might be a very different offense this year.

I don't see it being so much as different...but maybe a throwback to one we've used earlier. Like the one where we had a diamond formation in the background. Gave a couple opponents absolute fits.

Pharm Frog

With all the question marks around our OL you either think it’s going to be good or the rest of the offense will stink

I did not interpret the OP as being a relative assertion. Barring injury or other reasons that may deplete our OL, I think we will look back on 2018 and be able to say that the OL did really well....by scheme, technique, and execution. I also think that it's mistakes may be mitigated by an extremely athletic corp of skill position players. It may take a few games to gel but this is what I think. I am not worried at all (but I generally don't worry about things like this so maybe that's not a decent argument).

jake102

I would guess our offense will be a lot like last years, run-heavy and conservative, but with more deep passes (and less intermediate throws) when we do throw the ball. Especially early in the season until SR proves he can make good decisions and take care of the ball.

Yep, basically what I see also. Be a lot of Reagor going deep combined with short stuff to Turpin and Barber.

Wexahu

You know GP will want to continue to emphasize the run. I sure he and Cumbie has many conversations about it last off season. Remember 2016 was a Nightmare if 3 and outs that left the defense gassed all the time.

I'm not sure emphasizing the run will necessarily limit the 3 and outs if we aren't running the ball successfully. 2016 was a disaster because of the combination of the offense not being good and them for some reason wanting to always go super fast.

Last year we didn't act like it was a contest between every play to see how fast we could get it snapped, that was the biggest difference I saw. If you notice almost every time its a running play (or passing play for that matter) out of the warp speed offense its about the most basic play call imaginable. No creative blocking schemes, no counters, traps, etc. Slow the heck down, get the guys in position, set something up based on what the defense has been showing you, and run a play that has a chance of working. You don't have to eat up all 40 seconds of the play clock to do that, but you don't have to snap it in 8 seconds either.

jake102

If you notice almost every time its a running play (or passing play for that matter) out of the warp speed offense its about the most basic play call imaginable

Preach. You could usually guess the play before the snap.

Also, in the list of stats you probably won't believe, we averaged 0.6 yards per play LESS running the ball in 2017 than in 2016. The big difference was that we averaged 1.1 yard per passing play more in 2017 than in 2016... so did running the ball more in 2017 (55% against 49%) open up the passing game? Or did we (Hill, WRs, OL) just improve from 2016 to 2017? And did our running game get worse?

Eight

agree completely wexahu on the frogs offense in 2016 rushing to the line only to run two consecutive dive plays and then a forced throw.

i understood what baylor was trying to do under briles when they would run multiple deep pass plays in an attempt to wear out the secondary, but the frogs were struggling to get a push in the run game as the line barely got into a set position before they ran their second consecutive dive play in 2016.

going fast seemed to be meachum's offensive scheme instead of a tactic and i definitely agree with you i liked watching tcu take a bit longer but setting up something than rushing the snap of the ball to get nothing.

FrogLifeYo

I'm not sure emphasizing the run will necessarily limit the 3 and outs if we aren't running the ball successfully. 2016 was a disaster because of the combination of the offense not being good and them for some reason wanting to always go super fast.

Last year we didn't act like it was a contest between every play to see how fast we could get it snapped, that was the biggest difference I saw. If you notice almost every time its a running play (or passing play for that matter) out of the warp speed offense its about the most basic play call imaginable. No creative blocking schemes, no counters, traps, etc. Slow the heck down, get the guys in position, set something up based on what the defense has been showing you, and run a play that has a chance of working. You don't have to eat up all 40 seconds of the play clock to do that, but you don't have to snap it in 8 seconds either.

We definitely slowed down a bit and endeavored to get the right play called. It made a huge difference. I think going "fast" has value when utilized as a weapon but attempting build the offense around it never really worked for us. Even in '14 we wasted a ton of plays.

MTfrog5

We definitely slowed down a bit and endeavored to get the right play called. It made a huge difference. I think going "fast" has value when utilized as a weapon but attempting build the offense around it never really worked for us. Even in '14 we wasted a ton of plays.
The one thing Baylor did really well under a Briles was mix up the tempo

Eight

The one thing Baylor did really well under a Briles was mix up the tempo

their offense really got tough to defend when they added the inside run game with the deep vertical routes. fairly simple in some aspects, but really tough to stop.

i also like how they didn't let down and distance dictate play calling as they always had one route attacking down the field.

Last edited:

jake102

their offense really got tough to defend when they adding the inside run game with the deep vertical routes. fairly simple in some aspects, but really tough to stop.

i also like how they didn't let down and distance dictate play calling as they always had one route attacking down the field.

Yeah, it was a really simple, awesome concept. Strong OL with inside power runs mixed with WRs running two routes (deep vertical or comeback).