• The KillerFrogs

Lessons on fan arrogance

Purple Heart

Lessons on fan arrogance

What I’m getting ready to say - does not seem all that long ago that I was saying the same things about TCU on the Baylor message board (but looking back, it was at least 10 years ago, if not longer). Give TCU more respect, I said, because we deserve it. They did not want to hear the truth about (and they would argue with you all day long) TCU’s athletic successes and how many more “this or that” we had than they had. Discussion of sports other than football did not matter to them, either. All they wanted to talk about was how horrible our football team was. That was an undeserved reputation, I would say, and based on the horrendous decade of the 70’s (give or take some years in both directions). We were better than that, I would say – look, we just beat this team and that team, and besides, look at the program’s overall history, bowl games, All-Americans, etc. Did not matter to them (nor did it matter to most fans of other schools). The only thing that mattered was our reputation, which had not changed yet. Now it has. Turns out, the insult and hurt of being left out of the Big 12 was probably the fire that lit the momentum which has only grown and we are still enjoying.

Funny how things have changed. I was disappointed in some Baylor fans back then, and when I read some posts about Baylor on this board now, I am disappointed in some TCU fans today. I am telling you (especially this new breed of some TCU fans – young Turks who think they know everything) that you should give Baylor more respect - because they deserve it. In case you haven’t noticed, virtually the ONLY sport Baylor is not very competitive and successful in on a national level is football (and even with football, they have had a few respectable wins – CGP would be the first to tell you that overlooking them this fall would be a huge mistake). They just made it to the national Elite 8 in basketball, and were winning for most of the game and darn near beat the eventual national champion, Duke. They have won more overall Big 12 conference championships (including all sports) and yes, national championships, than most of the other Big 12 schools since the inception of the conference. Look it up. Golf, track, tennis, baseball, women’s basketball, you name it – deserves respect, respect, respect. Okay, make fun of their reputation now because of the debacles of the football team over the past decade plus. Fine - laugh about them being potentially left out of the new super conference alignment or whatever. Fine – but arrogance doesn’t suit you well, and Baylor is not going away I can assure you. Sometimes, being left out can lead to good things. And things do change, in case you haven’t noticed.

Truth is, both TCU and Baylor have two of the finest overall sports programs in the nation, and certainly the Southwest. They are both fine institutions, too. And they have played one another in sports for longer than just about any two schools anywhere. Literally, look it up. How many football games have there been between the two schools? I think the number is well over 100 and in the top 5 in the nation.

Leave the arrogance to the Longhorn fans. They are the experts at that, and its fun to watch them lose. The bigger they are, the harder they fall (and by the way, Baylor owns a five game win streak over the men’s basketball Longhorns, and I love it).

Go Frogs! Omaha Bound! (But no matter what happens, baseball fans, Baylor did “run rule” us in Waco this year, and give us a pretty good run for our money in Fort Worth, winning for much of that game).

Finally, just so there’s no mistaking where my allegiance lies if push comes to shove, I will be wearing purple and cheering only for the Frogs if we play them Saturday night – and odds are, we will. But I will show a lot of deserved respect for the Bears, and I’ll be cheering for them and wearing green and gold tomorrow afternoon versus Arizona.

gdu

Football is all that matters. Baylor has sucked at that for as long as I've been old enough to know what is going on. Even when they were good, they weren't as good as TCU when TCU was good. Their fans are just about the worst I have ever seen (especially at home basketball games) and have done nothing to earn any kind of respect.

I have a degree from TCU and Baylor. Had nothing against Baylor before going there.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(tcugdu @ Jun 3 2010, 07:58 PM) [snapback]568050[/snapback]
Football is all that matters. Baylor has sucked at that for as long as I've been old enough to know what is going on. Even when they were good, they weren't as good as TCU when TCU was good. Their fans are just about the worst I have ever seen (especially at home basketball games) and have done nothing to earn any kind of respect.

I have a degree from TCU and Baylor. Had nothing against Baylor before going there.

OMG, a post from gdu I agree with :eek:hmy:

ectofrog

Why would I give Baylor respect when they have one of the five worst football programs in America when Baylor fans won't give TCU respect for having one of the five best football programs in America?

Because YOU either went there or like to support them for other reasons is not good enough for me.

When the typical Baylor fan gives credit to us for what we've done, doesn't denigrate our achievements by pretending that they'd win 11 games a year too in the MWC, and doesn't try to act superior to us simply because they play in a conference with two schools that have done more, maybe I'll think about taking a look at what their B-list sports teams have done and consider not chuckling when Baylor athletics is brought up in conversation.

Until then, they can kiss my butt. I don't care what their women's basketball team has done.

Purple Heart

QUOTE(ectofrog @ Jun 4 2010, 01:17 AM) [snapback]568065[/snapback]
Why would I give Baylor respect when they have one of the five worst football programs in America when Baylor fans won't give TCU respect for having one of the five best football programs in America?

Because YOU either went there or like to support them for other reasons is not good enough for me.

When the typical Baylor fan gives credit to us for what we've done, doesn't denigrate our achievements by pretending that they'd win 11 games a year too in the MWC, and doesn't try to act superior to us simply because they play in a conference with two schools that have done more, maybe I'll think about taking a look at what their B-list sports teams have done and consider not chuckling when Baylor athletics is brought up in conversation.

Until then, they can kiss my butt. I don't care what their women's basketball team has done.

I think I made a pretty good case for respecting them, and its your problem as a fan if you don't know enough to make an intelligent rebuttal. That football program you call worst 5 in nation has beaten the Aggies more than Aggies have beaten them in recent years, led Tech for the entire game until the 4th quarter each of the last 2 years, and beaten KSU, Missouri (last year), Iowa State and Colorado during the past 4 years. You can disrespect them all you want, but like I said, as soon as our team does, we are in trouble. And you might be kissing their butt. I remember when Baylor took OU to double overtime in Norman the same year we won in Norman. (This is all football, by the way.) Are you calling men's basketball or baseball B-list sports? I think their fans are great. I would take their fans over Tech fans any day of the week. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you or anyone else on this. I've said my peace.

R

RJ Fletcher

I give Baylor all the credit they're due for having a great basketball program and a quality baseball program. But arrogance is exactly why I don't like Baylor. Their fans act as if they are above TCU simply because of their conference affiliation.

We were all in high school once, and remember the one whipping boy in the clique of alpha-male jocks. No one respected that guy, but he still acted as if he were cool just because of those that he associated with. That guy...is Baylor football.

BABYFACE

QUOTE(RJ Fletcher @ Jun 3 2010, 08:49 PM) [snapback]568082[/snapback]
We were all in high school once, and remember the one whipping boy in the clique of alpha-male jocks. No one respected that guy, but he still acted as if he were cool just because of those that he associated with. That guy...is Baylor football.

OMG, LOL, I saw that dude from my old HS today at Railhead eating by himself. Your post timing is a bit uncanny.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Purple Heart @ Jun 3 2010, 08:40 PM) [snapback]568077[/snapback]
I think I made a pretty good case for respecting them, and its your problem as a fan if you don't know enough to make an intelligent rebuttal. That football program you call worst 5 in nation has beaten the Aggies more than Aggies have beaten them in recent years, led Tech for the entire game until the 4th quarter each of the last 2 years, and beaten KSU, Missouri (last year), Iowa State and Colorado during the past 4 years. You can disrespect them all you want, but like I said, as soon as our team does, we are in trouble. And you might be kissing their butt. I remember when Baylor took OU to double overtime in Norman the same year we won in Norman. (This is all football, by the way.) Are you calling men's basketball or baseball B-list sports? I think their fans are great. I would take their fans over Tech fans any day of the week. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you or anyone else on this. I've said my peace.

That's not true. A&M beat Baylor in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2009.

In fact, Baylor has only beaten A&M twice since 1990 (2005 and 2008)

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Purple Heart @ Jun 3 2010, 08:40 PM) [snapback]568077[/snapback]
I think I made a pretty good case for respecting them, and its your problem as a fan if you don't know enough to make an intelligent rebuttal.

They receive as much respect as they give. Seems more than fair.

Young and Horned

Why would I respect a University that does all it can to hate on us? I could care less what they have accomplished in Tennis or Track or Women's basketball or basketball in general. They hate on us every chance they get. For that, I am always happy to see them go down in flames.

gdu

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jun 4 2010, 02:12 AM) [snapback]568107[/snapback]

Don't stop him. The bear's on a roll.

Purple Heart

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jun 4 2010, 02:12 AM) [snapback]568107[/snapback]

hmm, guess I was stuck in my thinking as recent as the season before last when considering the very most recent years (not going all the way back to 1990) - taking your word for it - thanks for correction - guess the rest of it checked out okay. Most people dont even realize what happened in 05 and 08. Seems like one of the Aggie wins (06?) required overtime and Baylor could have easily won. Am I right

the dutchman

I too refuse to respect a university that looks down upon us and always has. It got worse when Ann Richards bought their way into the big 12. And just what did that get them. Nothing. Their football team is a joke. I have two degrees from TCU and have been a Frog fan a very long time. I think most of us can not respect a university who doesnt respect us and thinks because of their conference affiliation that they are better than us. I can stand BayWhore and I dont respect them. Never have never will. They and their fans have no class whatsoever.

West Texas Frog

Not many on this board have this tie to both TCU and baylor. Dad graduated from baylor and Mom graduated from TCU. By virtue of graduating from TCU...I can easily say..."the Hell with baylor!" However, in the long pecking order of what it's worth category... I do like baylor better than ut and atm. :sleep:

Purple Heart

QUOTE(Young and Horned @ Jun 4 2010, 02:17 AM) [snapback]568121[/snapback]
Why would I respect a University that does all it can to hate on us? I could care less what they have accomplished in Tennis or Track or Women's basketball or basketball in general. They hate on us every chance they get. For that, I am always happy to see them go down in flames.

I dont get that impression (that most of their fans hate us) - if anything, they are jealous like just about everybody when it comes to football, but have I strongly believe they have immense respect for what TCU has accomplished. That was one of my main points - my impression is that things have changed greatly - I did not believe this was the case back when I used to defend TCU on the Baylor board and talk about how TCU football made made it to bowl games or beat USC or had more championships, or how TCU track team set the all time best NCAA 4x100 relay time (still stands, by the way), had one of the longest basketball home win streaks in the nation, or our intramural tennis teams could have easily whipped their varsity tennis teams, etc.

Houston Frog

If I were to base my opinion of Baylor's fans solely on their message board posters (which I think we all do a little too much with all schools), I would think Baylor has the douchiest and most clueless fan base ever. But when I think about my friends that are Baylor fans, they're all pretty cool guys and have a good sense of their place in the college sports hierarchy.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Respect can be earned, but also lost if the respect is not reciprocal. Most of the Baylor fans I've heard from here and elsewhere do not respect TCU. They look down on it as a second-rate institution (despite many similarities to theirs). Thus a general lack of respect.

But for full disclosure - my own personal real loss of respect for Baylor University came a long time ago when a disabled person I know trying to get her education was belittled there, even by a professor. Come to find out (big surprise) that the entire time she was there the student body turned out to be a bunch of arrogant d-heads. You know all those negative stereotypes about the student body at our institution? They all came alive down there in Waco.

Call me a Young Turk if you will but I'm a Seasoned Ottoman - practically Sultan Ahmed himself - compared to most my age, as I've been watching TCU sports for about 30 of my 32 years. I give credit where credit is due - for example, in that Texas football has more skins on the wall, or about when the Techsters treated me very nicely before and after the 70-35 stomping in Lubbock. But when it comes to the Bears I don't care what you've got to say about your "history" lesson, Baylor can always suck it as far as I'm concerned.

It's not always arrogance. Sometimes it's pure ol' fashioned hate.

gdu

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jun 4 2010, 02:37 AM) [snapback]568154[/snapback]
If I were to base my opinion of Baylor's fans solely on their message board posters (which I think we all do a little too much with all schools), I would think Baylor has the douchiest and most clueless fan base ever. But when I think about my friends that are Baylor fans, they're all pretty cool guys and have a good sense of their place in the college sports hierarchy.

been to a game at the ferrell center in the last 5 years?

Young and Horned

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jun 3 2010, 09:37 PM) [snapback]568154[/snapback]

Agreed. Have a few friends from Baylor and they are cool. Most classless, without a doubt, is Texas Tech though. No competition there.