• The KillerFrogs

Legendary and HOF Vikings coach Bud Grant passes away

Virginia Frog

Last edited:

froginmn

Tommy Kramer, Rice '77 played at ACS in Oct '76, the "lowest of the low" 0-11 season.

Led the SWC in Passing and #2 in the Nation that year (#1 in pass completions.) https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tommy-kramer-1.html

Rice hasn't had that level of a QB since that time. It's ashame how far their fb program has fallen since the SWC days.

I remember Bud Grant with the Vikings but never followed them.
During my freshman year at Milton Daniel I lived down the hall from a guy who was Tommy's nephew.

Last edited:
A great article that the Tribune probably had canned, ready to go. If you’re at all interested in Harry “Bud” Grant. He had an annual garage sale to dispense memorabilia. Bud pretty much had the perfect life, though beginning with polio during the depression, but at that age you don’t really know any better.

6B7B5FBD-9076-4E1D-B6E6-10CE4F7D1C82.jpeg4899BD29-927D-4323-B02D-DAFF5DFA9470.jpeg1EE505F4-D472-4FD2-911F-DA5C28998660.jpeg73F2F1D9-0B4F-4C04-98CE-25A474ED30E8.jpeg

Last edited:

froginaustin

Bud Grant.
I remember the game against the Cowpersons that Bud’s Vikings lost on the last play, a loooong pass. The first Hail Mary Pass that I ever saw.

TV had a shot of Bud immediately after the play. Veins sticking out of his neck. Teeth clinched. Archetype “I’ve been screwed” face. Loved it.

froginmn

Just your average guy who played in the NFL and then coached in the league.

Oh, and he also played in the NBA!!! And won a title with the Minneapolis Lakers (the mascot made a lot of sense when they played in the "land of 10,000 lakes", less when they moved to LA).

ShreveFrog

For Cowboy fans especially, it's worth a trip over to YouTube and search for Cowboys Vikings Hail Mary. (Since they contain video that the NFL has rights to, or something, it would not let me link any here.) There's one where Drew Pearson tells some great stories about the play, etc.