• The KillerFrogs

Latest CFP Expansion talks Stall!

Nick Danger

Bowlsby walks out!

The last paragraph of the article was noteworthy.
There’s also a level of irritation at the presidential level that the commissioners haven’t been able to find compromise. The Board of Managers, made up of 11 presidents, left the group with instructions to solve the issues in the next month or so. If not, the presidents will solve the issues for them. “We have no choice but to get it done,” said a high-ranking official.

Last edited:

geefrogs

I wonder why nobody can agree and nothing gets done except for 10 more bowl games added to the schedule each year.

strange.

wall street top 100 movie quotes GIF

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
We are looking at the what they want us to see, not at what is actually going on. ESPN likes things the way they are, therefore, they will stay the way they are. Nobody wants to cross them, and face their wrath (Network indifference), so no one will.

Bowlsby blew it when he didn't file suit for tampering. He had them dead to rights, and could have ripped the scab off of a nasty boil that is infecting the body of College Football. It would have been sloppy, smelly, and grotesque, but sunlight is a mighty disinfectant. Much good could have been done, but, alas...

Wexahu

I've seen nothing proposed that would bring more parity to college football, which I think what most everyone wants.

And I don't think playoff expansion solves a thing.

Dogfrog

I've seen nothing proposed that would bring more parity to college football, which I think what most everyone wants.

I think parity would be great, but under the old rules I think increased access to the playoff would have been important. A slight increase in access to the playoff would allow more widespread “we have a chance” excitement deeper into the season and help reduce the feeling that a network, a couple of conferences, and a room full of hand picked cigar$ are ga$lighting us. At this point, however, not sure any of this matters.

hiphopfroggy

Bring back the Big East and SWC and there are 7 conference champions and the highest ranked independent for an 8 team playoff with equal representation throughout the country. This is what College Football was supposed to be.

That, and then have the Universities pay the players directly and put a salary cap on it and we are good to go.

Wexahu

Bring back the Big East and SWC and there are 7 conference champions and the highest ranked independent for an 8 team playoff with equal representation throughout the country. This is what College Football was supposed to be.

That, and then have the Universities pay the players directly and put a salary cap on it and we are good to go.
Schools paying the players would be great, but unless you make NIL money illegal again, it will accomplish nothing except make school athletic departments go broke.

The only way for any kind of true parity to exist in college football is to regulate player movement, via a draft or something somewhat similar, maybe assign recruiting regions to each conference, something like that. And for sure not allow players to freely transfer. That is literally the only way. Until that happens, the very best talent is going to continue to collect at a select few schools.

hiphopfroggy

Schools paying the players would be great, but unless you make NIL money illegal again, it will accomplish nothing except make school athletic departments go broke.

The only way for any kind of true parity to exist in college football is to regulate player movement, via a draft or something somewhat similar, maybe assign recruiting regions to each conference, something like that. And for sure not allow players to freely transfer. That is literally the only way. Until that happens, the very best talent is going to continue to collect at a select few schools.
I agree that player movement also needs regulation, and prefer two year commitments without having to sit a year to transfer. Problem then is not sure how to regulate coaching movement.

Wexahu

I agree that player movement also needs regulation, and prefer two year commitments without having to sit a year to transfer. Problem then is not sure how to regulate coaching movement.
There is no need to regulate coach movement, ever. But especially when players are paid.

NFL players can't choose their coaches, why should college players be able to freely move around because coaches do?

hiphopfroggy

There is no need to regulate coach movement, ever. But especially when players are paid.

NFL players can't choose their coaches, why should college players be able to freely move around because coaches do?
I think the problem is coaches not ending the season with competitive games still to be played like Brian Kelly, or potentially a situation that may be occurring at Ole Miss if Lane Kiffin leaves for the Vikings after having just signed a bunch of guys a few weeks ago.

FrogAbroad

I think parity would be great, but under the old rules I think increased access to the playoff would have been important. A slight increase in access to the playoff would allow more widespread “we have a chance” excitement deeper into the season and help reduce the feeling that a network, a couple of conferences, and a room full of hand picked cigar$ are ga$lighting us. At this point, however, not sure any of this matters.
The current setup is sort of like the old shell game: the marks come close, close, c-l-o-s-e to winning so they'll keep playing and not move on to another game. And, every rare so-often, one will get a sniff of winning, but mainly so the mass of players--other than The Mouse and its cohorts--will continue to serve as a paying audience.

Wexahu

The current setup is sort of like the old shell game: the marks come close, close, c-l-o-s-e to winning so they'll keep playing and not move on to another game. And, every rare so-often, one will get a sniff of winning, but mainly so the mass of players--other than The Mouse and its cohorts--will continue to serve as a paying audience.
I don't think the lack of parity and the same teams being at the top every year benefits ESPN, so I don't really understand that POV.

Do you think the NFL would be more popular if the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders and Giants played in the AFC and NFC championship game every year? Because I don't.

BrewingFrog

I don't think the lack of parity and the same teams being at the top every year benefits ESPN, so I don't really understand that POV.
ESPN/Disney is on the brink of making a SuperConference, with the SEC as it's core. It is they who are deciding who will, and will not, be in their new "upper tier" of "College" Football, and they will control all broadcast and Media rights to it.

That is their game.

Endless Purple

I think the problem is coaches not ending the season with competitive games still to be played like Brian Kelly, or potentially a situation that may be occurring at Ole Miss if Lane Kiffin leaves for the Vikings after having just signed a bunch of guys a few weeks ago.
A big part of that has to do with recruiting now. The early signing period makes it so the coaches need to leave earlier. Readjust the signing periods so there is a dead time for coaches to move schools before it impacts recruiting and they could stay longer through the bowls. Some used to do it in the past.

Paint It Purple

Pardon my laughter at this notion of parity. It's a myth. We've all heard about NIL and the Portal with immediate eligibility.....Right?

HG73

ESPN/Disney is on the brink of making a SuperConference, with the SEC as it's core. It is they who are deciding who will, and will not, be in their new "upper tier" of "College" Football, and they will control all broadcast and Media rights to it.

That is their game.
Yep, the Confederate Football Conference. It already has 16 teams, only need a couple more (Clem and FSU cough cough) for 18 and two divisions of 9 teams each. Two leagues really, complete with league champions, a CCG and inter conference OOC games. No need to play anyone else. Or go to 20 teams with 4 divisions of 5 teams each and have a four game division schedule and schedule 8 inter division games. Stay in the south and avoid most of the NFL competition. No rules. No college entrance requirements or attendance requirements. Like college basketball. Sounds like a great business model to me.

Last edited:

ECM

Yep, the Confederate Football Conference. It already has 16 teams, only need a couple more (Clem and FSU cough cough) for 18 and two divisions of 9 teams each. Two leagues really, complete with league champions, a CCG and inter conference OOC games. No need to play anyone else. Or go to 20 teams with 4 divisions of 5 teams each and have a four game division schedule and schedule 8 inter division games. Stay in the south and avoid most of the NFL competition. No rules. No college attendance requirements. Like college basketball. Sounds like a great business model to me.
I think it will be more of a “Super League” with programs like Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska USC and Oregon also added in the mix. Like European Soccer, you could have a “Super League” champion and a “National Champion” much like the Europeans have league championships and the UEFA championship. I dont like it but it’d make a crap load of $$$

BrewingFrog

Yep, the Confederate Football Conference. It already has 16 teams, only need a couple more (Clem and FSU cough cough) for 18 and two divisions of 9 teams each. Two leagues really, complete with league champions, a CCG and inter conference OOC games. No need to play anyone else. Or go to 20 teams with 4 divisions of 5 teams each and have a four game division schedule and schedule 8 inter division games. Stay in the south and avoid most of the NFL competition. No rules. No college attendance requirements. Like college basketball. Sounds like a great business model to me.
Continental Conference. Yeah! That's the ticket!

Austintxfrog94

Just give the inbreds their own national championship, and let everyone else have theirs. They’ve shown they’re far more willing to play by their own rules.