• The KillerFrogs

Last Frog Club Lunch Report

Moose Stuff

Whew! I thought the other might be Bowen. Keeping fingers crossed that he will be 100% for next season and ready for a breakthrough year.

I don’t think incoming freshman Colt Ellison will be ready for next Fall after shredding his knee about a month ago. It is a shame because I think he could have had an impact as a Freshman before his injury.

I’m pretty sure Overshown and Collins are both already gone. And agree on Ellison, 2019 is gonna be a redshirt/rehab year for him. Just hope he’s 100% by 2020.

Planks

Has there ever been a position we’ve been so thin at scholarship wise as the 2019 DE position? Two returning scholarship players, one of whom has pretty much never played due to being injured every year on campus.

And our highest rated recruit at the position in Ellison is already is out for the year.

Frog-in-law1995

The current (uncommitted) recruit being promised a different position (LB) is the Mathis kid. He tweeted about it yesterday. Illinois wants him an an LB

GP is right...no way Lovie’s there 4 more years. He’s won 3, 2 and 4 games in his three seasons as head coach, dead ass last in the weak B10 West. They did just announce a 2-year extension through 2023 this week, but anybody with a brain knows that’s just trying to help recruiting this offseason.

Moose Stuff

Has there ever been a position we’ve been so thin at scholarship wise as the 2019 DE position? Two returning scholarship players, one of whom has pretty much never played due to being injured every year on campus.

And our highest rated recruit at the position in Ellison is already is out for the year.

Safety in 2015. We had a walkon starting. People said mean things.

LB that same year wasn’t much better. Thank god for Travin Howard handling the position switch.

Wexahu

Probably not, and it's puzzling as heck, but thankfully we appear fairly deep at the DT (at least on paper) so what we might see is more 3-man fronts or just using three 280+ lbers along the four-man front if we don't have two good DEs. Just generally a bigger line as we might not have the two 245-lb bookends like we're used to seeing. Put it this way, I'd be much more concerned if we were deep at end but razor thin at DT just because I think it's easier to work around a deficiency at DE.

Wexahu

Safety in 2015. We had a walkon starting. People said mean things.

LB that same year wasn’t much better. Thank god for Travin Howard handling the position switch.

Yep, I remember the Mike Freeze game up at Minnesota. True freshman who basically was barely on the team and on his way out the door was starting and when another player got hurt freshman Ty Summers had to play major minutes. That was a patchwork unit if there ever was one. I can't recall who the other starting LB was.

Moose Stuff

Yep, I remember the Mike Freeze game up at Minnesota. True freshman who basically was barely on the team and on his way out the door was starting and when another player got hurt freshman Ty Summers had to play major minutes. That was a patchwork unit if there ever was one. I can't recall who the other starting LB was.

M Wilson?

Purp

Nt too long ago were looking at 2 scholarship LBs returning and only one with a good amount of experience. Pretty sure that was 2015 after the Peach bowl. We all were worried about that unit the next season and it ended up being a strength if memory serves. We also had a similar story at DE a couple years ago and we ended up with a strong unit there.

I'm not sure how this will play out, but I have a feeling we won't be worried about the DE depth and quality by the middle of next season. GP seems to find a way to make it happen.

Moose Stuff

Nt too long ago were looking at 2 scholarship LBs returning and only one with a good amount of experience. Pretty sure that was 2015 after the Peach bowl. We all were worried about that unit the next season and it ended up being a strength if memory serves. We also had a similar story at DE a couple years ago and we ended up with a strong unit there.

I'm not sure how this will play out, but I have a feeling we won't be worried about the DE depth and quality by the middle of next season. GP seems to find a way to make it happen.

That year everyone was worried about DE we had Banogu and Boesen on campus. I never really understood the concern TBH.

Wexahu

That year everyone was worried about DE we had Banogu and Boesen on campus. I never really understood the concern TBH.

I think it's more about what happens if a player or two get hurt. Thankfully those two stayed healthy. Let's say Mathis suffers a Blacklock type deal in August and Bowen continues to have trouble with his shoulder. That's the scary part, and I know you could make a similar hypothetical about other positions and it wouldn't be a pretty scenario, but there is no doubt we are razor thin at DE. Just have to work around it and find a way.

TX_Krötenechse

Which year was it that walk-on Hasley played significant minutes at LB? That was a thin damn year

Also 2012 on the OL when we converted a TE to tackle due to lack of bodies

Also this season with RBs

Salfrog

Tier 1

Also a great job by Cross of coaching those players. That's why I hope he returns as the LB coach. He was able to to take their strengths and got the most out of them. Wasn't always pretty, but they played tough.