• The KillerFrogs

Las Cruces Sun-News: NM Aggies may already have lined up next football coach

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Aggies may already have lined up next football coach​

BY JASON GROVES/LAS CRUCES SUN-NEWS

b01_jd_24nov_kill-768x524.jpg

LAS CRUCES —New Mexico State football may have lined up its next head coach before current coach Doug Martin leads the Aggies into Saturday’s season finale against Massachusetts at Aggie Memorial Stadium in a matchup of 1-10 teams.

Footballscoop.com was the first to report on Tuesday that New Mexico State is expected to target former Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill. Martin is in his final year of his current contract that runs through June 2022, andMartin has said previously that the football program has not been actively recruiting due to his contract situation.

Read more at https://www.abqjournal.com/2449053/report-aggies-may-already-have-lined-up-next-football-coach.html

TCUdirtbag

In the 3 worst FBS job with UMASS and UCONN. Getting a conference affiliation helps a little.

4. Add Idaho.

Edit: wow. Just saw they dropped to FCS in 2017. Honestly a good move. I think a bunch of these southern / southwestern schools moving up to FBS are chasing fools gold. NMSU, ACU, UTEP, UTRGV, UIW, SHSU, SFAXU, Tarleron, Arkansas State, etc. would make a great southwest FCS league.

East Coast

Tier 1
4. Add Idaho.

Edit: wow. Just saw they dropped to FCS in 2017. Honestly a good move. I think a bunch of these southern / southwestern schools moving up to FBS are chasing fools gold. NMSU, ACU, UTEP, UTRGV, UIW, SHSU, SFAXU, Tarleron, Arkansas State, etc. would make a great southwest FCS league.
Umm, UTEP has been the equivalent of FBS since at least the 1960’s, not that they have ever been any good. Too lazy to look up when they joined the WAC and what they were doing before that.

helcap

4. Add Idaho.

With more pressure being put on P5 programs by their Conference and networks beyond just their fans not to schedule FCS teams for "body bag" games, lower level FBS teams will be in demand for nonconference scheduling. NMSU this year for example played two SEC teams, Alabama and Kentucky. TAMU already has Tarleton on their schedule. These games usually pay pretty well, so I don't see this as "fools gold" as you put it.
Note: In 2019 NMSU played in Tuscaloosa and they got paid $1.7 million. This year they got $1.9 million. Price of cupcakes is going up

Last edited:

FrogAbroad

With more pressure being put on P5 programs by their Conference and networks beyond just their fans not to schedule FCS teams for "body bag" games, lower level FBS teams will be in demand for nonconference scheduling. NMSU this year for example played two SEC teams, Alabama and Kentucky. TAMU already has Tarleton on their schedule. These games usually pay pretty well, so I don't see this as "fools gold" as you put it.
Note: In 2019 NMSU played in Tuscaloosa and they got paid $1.7 million. This year they got $1.9 million. Price of cupcakes is going up
So TCU does have a future post-B12...

Limp Lizard

Those are still 'body bag' games. Lots of FCS teams better than NMSU.

Still, I get what you mean.

gofor2

NMSU is a coaches grave yard.
I'll just assume he's doing it as a favor for someone that he knows in the administration.

YA

4. Add Idaho.

Arkansas State is legit. Look at the $ they are pouring into the program in new facilities. asu

They know what they are doing and have had success with the right coach.