• The KillerFrogs

Lack of ESPN coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlendarrochFrog

I know the Frogs don't have a contract with ESPN anymore, but you would think that ESPN would still be interested in showing the general public what happened when a ranked opponent plays a Big 12 opponent. I just re-watched college football gameday final on my DVR and saw that EVERY SINGLE top 25 team that played had their highlights shown except for TCU.

They didn't even mention TCU once. We get so screwed with national media coverage. I assure you, if we had lost to Baylor, we would have been all over Gameday. They probably would have done a 5 minute segment about how overrated we are and didn't deserve to be ranked in the first place.

I wonder if (I realize this is a big if) we beat Texas if they'll show highlights...maybe ESPN will sweep it under the rug and just show the score in the ticker at the bottom of the screen.

Hell's Half Acre

QUOTE(GlendarrochFrog @ Sep 3 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]34272[/snapback]
I wonder if (I realize this is a big if) we beat Texas if they'll show highlights...maybe ESPN will sweep it under the rug and just show the score in the ticker at the bottom of the screen.

Or we might have the honor of moving from being "this year's Boise State" to "this week's Arkie State."

hooray :rolleyes:

FROGDADDY

ESPN ignores us (and every other non-BCS team) as much as they can. I didn't see any Boise St highlights after their game the other ay either. If we beat Texas, it's the lead story on Gameday IMO.

general125

Sounds like last year. ESPN only shows highlights from games they televise. They are a marketing organization, not a news organization.

TexasFan

QUOTE(general125 @ Sep 3 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]34286[/snapback]
Sounds like last year. ESPN only shows highlights from games they televise. They are a marketing organization, not a news organization.

If you beat us in Austin this Saturday your team will be on ESPN.

neo926

Who cares? It's week one. What other teams 20-25 got any coverage this week? It was all about Michigan/App. St. I know people love to find reasons to complain about lack of ESPN coverage, but considering one of the biggest upsets ever happened over the weekend, I'm not surprised that TCU's easy win over a crappy team wasn't covered. Hell, the only reason Hawaii was mentioned was because Brennan threw for 400+ yards and 6 TDs in a half.

general125

QUOTE(Mike M. @ Sep 3 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]34443[/snapback]
Who cares? It's week one. What other teams 20-25 got any coverage this week? It was all about Michigan/App. St. I know people love to find reasons to complain about lack of ESPN coverage, but considering one of the biggest upsets ever happened over the weekend, I'm not surprised that TCU's easy win over a crappy team wasn't covered. Hell, the only reason Hawaii was mentioned was because Brennan threw for 400+ yards and 6 TDs in a half.

If this were an isolated incident, I'd agree with you. The college football highlight show on ESPN ignored TCU and BYU last year and the year before.

shenanigans

I think this is where the CSTV affiliation hurts us. It's just like last year. Not that Boise St. received any coverage, but they were at least mentioned on Thursday night.

Also, I'll admit to being a little jealous of SMU right now - the stadium is packed, loud, and the only game on TV right now.

shockthenation

Boys, the fact that we are not on ESPN highlights any more is just another great by-product of our wonderful TV deal. ESPN showed TCU all the time when we had a contract with them. You see now we have our own network. We don't need ESPN. All our alumni can watch the game anytime they want from all over the country. Get on the band wagon. The MTn. network is great. It has done so much for the confrence. I hope we keep this deal. What a great idea.

QUOTE(shockthenation @ Sep 3 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]34500[/snapback]
Boys, the fact that we are not on ESPN highlights any more is just another great by-product of our wonderful TV deal. ESPN showed TCU all the time when we had a contract with them. You see now we have our own network. We don't need ESPN. All our alumni can watch the game anytime they want from all over the country. Get on the band wagon. The MTn. network is great. It has done so much for the confrence. I hope we keep this deal. What a great idea.

Sarcasm i hope

O

Omniscience Frog

QUOTE(shenanigans @ Sep 3 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]34498[/snapback]
Also, I'll admit to being a little jealous of SMU right now - the stadium is packed, loud, and the only game on TV right now.

Packed stadium? You'd better check out that north end zone. Probably 28-29,000 there.

ybbodeus

QUOTE(shenanigans @ Sep 3 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]34498[/snapback]
I think this is where the CSTV affiliation hurts us. It's just like last year. Not that Boise St. received any coverage, but they were at least mentioned on Thursday night.

CSTV is their enemy, long term.

The other angle? Perhaps it was out of respect to Trey Wingo...

Frankly, I was surprised there wasn't more mention of it there, too, though ESPN is the devil.

Best of luck this weekend.

Fiscuits

QUOTE(general125 @ Sep 3 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]34286[/snapback]

This is exactly correct. The biggest mistake we made was agreeing (MWC) to the CSTV blah blah blah.

Btcgridiron1

QUOTE(shockthenation @ Sep 3 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]34500[/snapback]

It's just binuss, ESPN is gonna plug and talk about the teams that play on their network

But we do need ESPN, everybody watches and listens to ESPN, voters, fans, media, we need more coverage from them - I have been against the our new TV deal since its inception because of this.

Breaking ties with ESPN has hurt us, no doubt, I know the money was better, but our exposure (nationwide) has suffered because of our TV contract

Status
Not open for further replies.