• The KillerFrogs

LA Times: Jamie Dixon close to deal to become UCLA’s next basketball coach

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
LA Times: Jamie Dixon close to deal to become UCLA’s next basketball coach

By BEN BOLCH

Jamie Dixon is on the verge of leaving his alma mater to come home.

In a dramatic plot twist for the son of a screenwriter who grew up in North Hollywood, Dixon would make a triumphant return to Southern California as UCLA’s next basketball coach if he and the school can find a way to satisfy the terms of his buyout at Texas Christian, according to multiple people close to the situation.

Read more at https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla...la-basketball-coach-hired-20190403-story.html

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This article was written yesterday afternoon. He may or may not be gone, but this article doesn’t signal it. And the idea that he HAS to leave now is awfully silly. The world is not simple like that. He hasn’t said a word about wanting to leave at this point.
He hasn't said a word, tis true. His actions, OTOH... By allowing the game of footsie he is playing with UCLA to continue to this point, he has set fire to the bridges built with TCU. Tomorrow, UCLA is scheduled to make their BIG ANNOUNCEMENT of his being hired as their new Head Coach. Not a word From Dixon about that, either. Yet it looks as if it is a done deal.

All that being said, if the deal with UCLA blows up, how does Dixon expect to be welcomed back to the fold having so clearly shown a willingness to bolt at the first gaudy suitor to come calling? Schloss was bad enough with the brinksmanship game played last year, but Dixon hasn't the resume Schloss has. As others have clearly pointed out, Dixon was given the keys to a bright, shiny, brand-new castle and a pile of cash. He was welcomed with open arms to come back home and revive a program that made him what he is. To repay that with these current actions is little short of betrayal.

You were here back when Pat Sullivan was a dead man walking, after all but loading up the car for the New Gig in Baton Rouge and suddenly finding out that it had all collapsed in a heap. He couldn't have cared less about that last season, and it showed. While Dixon isn't Sully, I don't think I want a repeat of that with a guy I thought very highly of up until a few days ago as the star. I don't think anybody else does, either.

TRF51

He hasn't said a word, tis true. His actions, OTOH... By allowing the game of footsie he is playing with UCLA to continue to this point, he has set fire to the bridges built with TCU. Tomorrow, UCLA is scheduled to make their BIG ANNOUNCEMENT of his being hired as their new Head Coach. Not a word From Dixon about that, either. Yet it looks as if it is a done deal.

All that being said, if the deal with UCLA blows up, how does Dixon expect to be welcomed back to the fold having so clearly shown a willingness to bolt at the first gaudy suitor to come calling? Schloss was bad enough with the brinksmanship game played last year, but Dixon hasn't the resume Schloss has. As others have clearly pointed out, Dixon was given the keys to a bright, shiny, brand-new castle and a pile of cash. He was welcomed with open arms to come back home and revive a program that made him what he is. To repay that with these current actions is little short of betrayal.

You were here back when Pat Sullivan was a dead man walking, after all but loading up the car for the New Gig in Baton Rouge and suddenly finding out that it had all collapsed in a heap. He couldn't have cared less about that last season, and it showed. While Dixon isn't Sully, I don't think I want a repeat of that with a guy I thought very highly of up until a few days ago as the star. I don't think anybody else does, either.

What he or she said! I don’t want him back after this. How would he recruit here knowing he will jump the first chance he gets? I want someone who wants to be here and build an elite program.

What he or she said! I don’t want him back after this. How would he recruit here knowing he will jump the first chance he gets? I want someone who wants to be here and build an elite program.
Let’s put to rest this notion that Dixon is looking to leave for any blue blood program. UCLA is one of only a handful — and possibly the only program — he’ll leave for. If he stays, he’s probably ours until he retires.

His parents are in LA, and they aren’t getting younger. He’s very close with his sister Julie, who lives there. His wife’s family is in Hawaii and SF. Those are hard “pulls” no matter how good you have it at TCU.

MAcFroggy

I am as big of a TCU fan as there is, and I would not fault Jamie for leaving at all. UCLA is one of the premier college basketball programs in all of college basketball. It is in his home town close to his family. I know he spent 4 seasons as a player here and 3 years as a coach, but LA is the place he grew up and his family lives. He did a great job of improving this program. The past three seasons have been the best three that we have had in 20 years, Whoever takes the job will have a lot of work to do, but Jamie Dixon has proven that a coach can win here and make the tournament. I think that will help when the time comes to hire a new coach.

If he leaves, I wish him good luck at UCLA.

Zubaz

He hasn't said a word, tis true. His actions, OTOH... By allowing the game of footsie he is playing with Kansas State to continue to this point, he has set fire to the bridges built with TCU. Tomorrow, Kansas State is scheduled to make their BIG ANNOUNCEMENT of his being hired as their new Head Coach. Not a word From Patterson about that, either. Yet it looks as if it is a done deal.

All that being said, if the deal with K-State blows up, how does Patterson expect to be welcomed back to the fold having so clearly shown a willingness to bolt at the first gaudy suitor to come calling?
He hasn't said a word, tis true. His actions, OTOH... By allowing the game of footsie he is playing with Mississippi State to continue to this point, he has set fire to the bridges built with TCU. Tomorrow, Mississippi State is scheduled to make their BIG ANNOUNCEMENT of his being hired as their new Head Coach. Not a word From Schloss about that, either. Yet it looks as if it is a done deal.

All that being said, if the deal with Mississippi State blows up, how does Schloss expect to be welcomed back to the fold having so clearly shown a willingness to bolt at the first gaudy suitor to come calling?

Look, I tend to think this is going to happen, but let's not pretend this wouldn't be forgiven and forgotten the if he decides to stay and wins a few games. No different than we did with GP, no different than we did with Schloss.

YA

Look, I tend to think this is going to happen, but let's not pretend this wouldn't be forgiven and forgotten the if he decides to stay and wins a few games. No different than we did with GP, no different than we did with Schloss.
EXACTLY!!!

GP almost took the Arkansas, Kansas State and Minnesota jobs, in addition to flirting with Tennessee and many other jobs. All the while getting raises out of the process. If we accepted GP doing it, then we look like hypocrites criticizing Coach Dixon as he does it too.

I get he is an alumni, but it is still a job. There is no one who wouldn't look at doubling their salary if given the chance.

CountryFrog

I am as big of a TCU fan as there is, and I would not fault Jamie for leaving at all. UCLA is one of the premier college basketball programs in all of college basketball. It is in his home town close to his family. I know he spent 4 seasons as a player here and 3 years as a coach, but LA is the place he grew up and his family lives. He did a great job of improving this program. The past three seasons have been the best three that we have had in 20 years, Whoever takes the job will have a lot of work to do, but Jamie Dixon has proven that a coach can win here and make the tournament. I think that will help when the time comes to hire a new coach.

If he leaves, I wish him good luck at UCLA.
I think that MOST of us would understand a coach who grew up in that area and wants to go to UCLA.

The bulk of the criticism imo is centered around the fact that he would be leaving the basketball program at HIS SCHOOL in shambles with everything that took place this year and with the speculated potential personel losses that would happen subsequent to him leaving. You would think that a former Frog who claims to love TCU would feel a little more ownership and accountability to this program than to leave it the way he would be leaving it now.

If he'd been here for 7 or 8 years and gotten the program to a consistently high level then there would certainly be some disappointment but I don't think it would be to the level it is right now.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So, you had to change what I said in order to try and make a point? That's kinda lame, and you're better than that.

Each of those cases were different, in that the footsie-playing was more of an incentive for TCU to cough up more money. Schloss took it a bit farther than he should have, but I don't think he had any real intention of skedaddling. I do know, however, that he got a lot of long looks at the Houston Coaches Event not long after the drama had been settled...

However, Dixon isn't in any kind of position currently to be angling for a new contract, extension, or raise. Thus, this game of footsie has the feel of being for real as opposed to simply being an exercise.

Zubaz

So, you had to change what I said in order to try and make a point? That's kinda lame, and you're better than that.
I changed the names to show that we've forgiven coaches that came close to leaving for "greener pastures", just to show that I don't think the logic holds. That is, of course, if that's what this is. I think you and I agree that there this is likely the end of Dixon's time at TCU.

Each of those cases were different, in that the footsie-playing was more of an incentive for TCU to cough up more money. Schloss took it a bit farther than he should have, but I don't think he had any real intention of skedaddling. I do know, however, that he got a lot of long looks at the Houston Coaches Event not long after the drama had been settled...
Personally, I think this really understates how close those respective coaches were to leaving. I don't believe they were simply angles for better salary at TCU. MAYBE Schloss' consideration of a new stadium, but not solely that.