• The KillerFrogs

LA Daily News: Mystery over Texas boating death of TCU student finally unravels

HToady

Way too many “What really happened!??” detectives on here. As stated, The kids drank way too much, made some bad decisions and then panicked when they should’ve just told the truth. They were trying to make it look like there wasn’t alcohol involved. The poor girl that playfully pushed Jack didn’t try to hurt him. They were playing grabass.

Drinking too much, making bad decisions, panicking, playing grabass. All things that I did way too much between the age of 18-22 while at TCU. Thankfully I survived.

Just such a sad story.
Sorry detective...the 'wrongful death lawsuit by the parents of the deceased boy and the charges from the Travis County DA, seem to disagree with your findings...

BleedNPurple

The kids had no business controlling a boat. Broke every safety rule in the book - tragic. I agree with the comments from my fellow boaters on here. I have 52 years of operating sail and power boats - and a Coast Guard Captains license and extensive experience in long haul offshore piloting. The first mistake was daddy letting someone take the boat. At that age you should be off the water by dark - not heading out!

BleedNPurple

Based on the description almost certainly a center-console boat, so the operator was probably no more than 10-12 feet from the bow. And if you're on the water at night you are required to have on at least running lights. If the operator saw him go over, how in the heck you don't immediately kill the motor I don't understand.
Distracted driver - was more into the party with his friends then into operating the boat. I’ve been on Lake Travis a lot - It’s like home waters for me. The lake level has been up and down a lot - right now there are shallow mountains sticking up where you would normally sail right through. At night Lake Travis can have a lot of traffic on it - especially with the drive up restaurants and bars on the lake. Boating at night you really have to keep your eyes peeled for idiots. I only go out there at night with locals who know the recent depth changes - you can get in trouble out there in a hurry.

Last edited:

Hemingway

The kids had no business controlling a boat. Broke every safety rule in the book - tragic. I agree with the comments from my fellow boaters on here. I have 52 years of operating sail and power boats - and a Coast Guard Captains license and extensive experience in long haul offshore piloting. The first mistake was daddy letting someone take the boat. At that age you should be off the water by dark - not heading out!
Why isn’t it required to have a boating license? Seems like common sense

AroundWorldFrog

Twelve people seems a lot on a 22 foot boat, also.
Really surprised it will hold 15 people (based on weight of course)
images

• Dimensions. Length Hull: 21' 11" (6.68 m)
  • Capacities. Seating Capacity 15 Persons.
  • Weights. Dry Weight Approx: 4500 LBS (2041 KG)
  • Engine. Engine Torque Max:450 | Standard: 410.
  • Features. Features (Ballast - Max: 4515 LBS | Standard: 1065 LBS ) | Bow pnp: 450 LBS | Rear pnp: 1500 LBS | Tower: AW15 | Auto Set Wedge: 1000 lbs.

HToady

I don't understand how the lie they told was any better than the truth?
When does lying to cover up your involvement in the "accidental" death of a classmate, become a Code of Conduct violation for TCU? When you are charged with a crime, or not even then?

Chongo94

Really surprised it will hold 15 people (based on weight of course)
images

• Dimensions. Length Hull: 21' 11" (6.68 m)
  • Capacities. Seating Capacity 15 Persons.
  • Weights. Dry Weight Approx: 4500 LBS (2041 KG)
  • Engine. Engine Torque Max:450 | Standard: 410.
  • Features. Features (Ballast - Max: 4515 LBS | Standard: 1065 LBS ) | Bow pnp: 450 LBS | Rear pnp: 1500 LBS | Tower: AW15 | Auto Set Wedge: 1000 lbs.
College kids these days on boats are like that old craze of seeing how many people could fit in phone booths.

I’ve been out and seen boats where they’ve got 4 girls sitting at the very back, various people in the middle, and then at least 3 at the front, it’s unreal.

I never let people sit in front of me while driving but I see that all the time too.