• The KillerFrogs

Kyler and Kliff

froginmn

Kyler Murray didn't exactly look like a No. 1 overall pick during the Arizona Cardinals' 33-26 loss to the Oakland Raiders in their second preseason game on Thursday.

While that's hardly anything to write home about, one could simply throw their hands in the air and say, "Well, it's just preseason." What is a bit concerning (or at least something to monitor throughout the rest of the preseason and throughout Murray's rookie season), is the fact that the quarterback was called for two false starts in his short time on the field.

This was apparently on the mind of the Cardinals prior to the start of Thursday's contest as ESPN cameras caught head coach Kliff Kingsbury talking to officials and seemingly explaining the hand clapping of Murray.

"To me, it's like any other hard count," Murray said of his clapping after the game. "It's the defense's job to watch the ball. "

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...concern-than-his-poor-preseason-performances/

Eight

I can understand how Kyler was the #1 overall pick (QB class was pretty awful), but I can't for a moment understand how Kliff Kingsbury got an NFL head coaching job. I can only assume the only answer is Sean McVay

the best answer is that the gm of the cardinals is a stupid [ Finebaum ] who hired kliff thinking he was hiring a mcvay clone.

that dumb decision was compounded by taking kyler with the first pick overall. no klff in az, no kyler in az.

would have been very, very interesting to see where kyler would have landed in the nfl draft if not for the az [ Finebaum ]show

Wexahu

the best answer is that the gm of the cardinals is a stupid [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] who hired kliff thinking he was hiring a mcvay clone.

that dumb decision was compounded by taking kyler with the first pick overall. no klff in az, no kyler in az.

would have been very, very interesting to see where kyler would have landed in the nfl draft if not for the az [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]show

Lord knows I have been wrong before (except when it comes to the CFP :)) but I don't think Murray is going to be any good at all in the NFL. It's just a completely different game in terms of how much more difficult it is to create space and just like I figured he would he looks like a little high school kid back in the pocket.

jake102

Lord knows I have been wrong before (except when it comes to the CFP :)) but I don't think Murray is going to be any good at all in the NFL. It's just a completely different game in terms of how much more difficult it is to create space and just like I figured he would he looks like a little high school kid back in the pocket.

I actually think he could be fine, and if anything holds him back it won't be his physical attributes. My biggest concern is that I don't think Kyler is the smartest guy on the field. Not sure he has the Russell Wilson or Drew Brees smarts to navigate being a smaller QB.

LVH

the best answer is that the gm of the cardinals is a stupid [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] who hired kliff thinking he was hiring a mcvay clone.

would have been very, very interesting to see where kyler would have landed in the nfl draft if not for the az [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]show

There are a few Cardinals fans here with how close we are to Arizona and they all think Kyler is the 2nd coming of Jesus and will be the best QB ever.

Eight

I actually think he could be fine, and if anything holds him back it won't be his physical attributes. My biggest concern is that I don't think Kyler is the smartest guy on the field. Not sure he has the Russell Wilson or Drew Brees smarts to navigate being a smaller QB.

kyler isn't going to fit into a traditional nfl offense and is going to require someone who is willing to be creative with him or do what kliff is trying and bring his offense to the nfl.

Eight

There are a few Cardinals fans here with how close we are to Arizona and they all think Kyler is the 2nd coming of Jesus and will be the best QB ever.

maybe but then again you are talking about a franchise whose line of great quarterback play is kurt warner at the end of his career and jim hart.

Wexahu

The problem assessing QBs that are such a threat running the ball is that they are often effective as passers just because of that threat. Take that away, and the NFL will, and then you've got to beat people throwing the ball the conventional way, not by dropping back in the pocket and having all day to throw and being able to wait until guys get open because the defense is afraid of the QB taking off running. NFL history is littered with "dual-threat" guys who once that one threat was taken away couldn't hack it. I think Murray is one of those. His biggest asset is when you pressure him he's super quick, evades the rush and takes off running. Good luck with that in the NFL.

Russell Wilson is ONE guy in how many that's been a success.

jake102

I think Kyler throws the ball pretty well. I would have never considered him at #1 overall, but I don't think he's a Lamar Jackson or RG3 type.

After watching last night, the Cardinals have a much much much bigger OL problem.

Froggish

Nothing we did against Baker or Kyler worked but I often wonder if we would have just rushed 4 and concentrated on giving them confusing looks. Just trying to slow their decision making and keeping the game in front of us. Maybe we could have at least kept them from getting out so quickly on us.

Eight

I think Kyler throws the ball pretty well. I would have never considered him at #1 overall, but I don't think he's a Lamar Jackson or RG3 type.

After watching last night, the Cardinals have a much much much bigger OL problem.

no doubt, that roster has major issues which is why drafting a quarterback was a big mistake.

as i said, the first mistake was by the gm hiring kingsbury and it was compounded from there.

ftwfrog

Kyler made us look like a Pee Wee football team last year, carrying himself well all season and shockingly Kliff had a .500 winning percentage against GP, so I’ve got no ill-will for either of them in the NFL.

Realtorfrog

I can understand how Kyler was the #1 overall pick (QB class was pretty awful), but I can't for a moment understand how Kliff Kingsbury got an NFL head coaching job. I can only assume the only answer is Sean McVay
Kliff will be a better head coach than Murray will be a QB.

kidkarr

The problem assessing QBs that are such a threat running the ball is that they are often effective as passers just because of that threat. Take that away, and the NFL will, and then you've got to beat people throwing the ball the conventional way, not by dropping back in the pocket and having all day to throw and being able to wait until guys get open because the defense is afraid of the QB taking off running. NFL history is littered with "dual-threat" guys who once that one threat was taken away couldn't hack it. I think Murray is one of those. His biggest asset is when you pressure him he's super quick, evades the rush and takes off running. Good luck with that in the NFL.

Russell Wilson is ONE guy in how many that's been a success.
R Wilson has the advantage of being on a run first team. Kliff will wanna throw 50 times a game and that will hurt Kyler.