• The KillerFrogs

Kliff Kingsbury fired?!

TCUdirtbag

247 reporting...

it-is-done-gif-1.gif

FYI 247’s “reporting” cites only to the CBS San Antonio “report” that no one else has confirmed.

I do think they’ll can him today, but 247 isn’t reporting anything other than their editors’ ability to read one dude’s tweets.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

Hocutt can go play in traffic. That dude was worthless on the CFP committee

Just curious about your particular grievance with him on the committee. He wasn’t on it when TCU was in contention.

Paths crossed when he was at Miami. Stick by my impression from 8ish years ago - good dude. Was a good get for Tech back then and still a huge asset to them.

Chongo94

This is apparently the contents of the Tech press release about it...

Hocutt informed Kingsbury of the decision Sunday morning, one day after the Red Raiders ended the season with a fifth-consecutive loss. Tech concluded the 2018 campaign with a 5-7 record following a 35-24 loss to Baylor on Saturday.

“I’d like to thank Kliff Kingsbury for his six years of dedication leading our football program,” Hocutt said. “He’s worked very hard and represented us in a first-class manner.”

Kingsbury closes his tenure leading his alma mater with a 35-40 overall record, including a 19-35 mark in Big 12 play. He led the Red Raiders to three bowl appearances during his six seasons with trips to the 2013 Holiday Bowl, 2015 AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl and the 2017 Birmingham Bowl.

“For what he achieved and contributed to Texas Tech, as an athlete, a student and our football coach, Kliff Kingsbury has a special place in the hearts of Red Raiders,” Texas Tech President Dr. Lawrence Schovanec said. “As a coach, he was a model of class and character, and he always put the best interests of his student-athletes first. I admire and appreciate all he has done for Texas Tech.”

Chongo94

It appears they may make a serious run at Holgo. I can’t imagine he’d go back to Lbk given what he’s got going on at West Virginia but you never know...

papawppc

He’ll probably get fired. But everyone “breaking” the story is pointing to a single tweet from a local news reporter for CBS San Antonio citing unnamed “sources.” No other reporter has confirmed as of now. I find it hard to believe this rando dude in SA has better access or sources than anyone in Lubbock or DFW.

Say what you will about Tech, but Hocutt is a good dude. I bet that’s a conversation he’ll have with Kliff in person. Maybe tonight. Maybe tomorrow. But he’s not the kind of guy to fire a coach in the hotel lobby or on the tarmac.

Like he fired Leach? They sure screwed the pooch when they did that.

TCUdirtbag

No way they go after anyone named Briles.

I could see Holgo bailing in WVU. They’ve seemed to put him on and off the hot seat for years. Also not sure Dana has any more success in Lubbock than the last couple coaches. He’s been recruiting FL for years now and that won’t translate all that well to Tech.

Hocutt has some boosters that will pony up cash. I think he may go with a defensive hire and offer him a huge budget for offensive staff. Venables?

Chongo94

No way they go after anyone named Briles.

I could see Holgo bailing in WVU. They’ve seemed to put him on and off the hot seat for years. Also not sure Dana has any more success in Lubbock than the last couple coaches. He’s been recruiting FL for years now and that won’t translate all that well to Tech.

Hocutt has some boosters that will pony up cash. I think he may go with a defensive hire and offer him a huge budget for offensive staff. Venables?

Also add Littrell to that list. Although there are many that are tired of the Leach tree.

TCUdirtbag

Also add Littrell to that list. Although there are many that are tired of the Leach tree.

I can see Harrell being plucked from the University of North Texas staff for an OC or co-OC role, but if Littrell is announced as the TTU head coach, Hocutt has whiffed at at least 3-5 other not entirely unreasonable options.

If Snyder retires/is retired, I could see Littrell at K-State.

If WVU opened up that would be an interesting search.

Chongo94

Watching some of the press conference...

Hocutt said the firing was “based on a pattern over the last three years.”

Wexahu

Watching some of the press conference...

Hocutt said the firing was “based on a pattern over the last three years.”

I don't have a problem with KK and I'd probably take him as an OC, but I wonder if that offense is just a zero sum deal that gets a lot of hype because of the numbers. I think it absolutely hangs the defense out to dry. The question is can it be successful if you take the tempo part out of the equation.