• The KillerFrogs

Killer Frogs: Gary Patterson Press Conference: Week 8 "At the End of the Day"

Eight

Subject to being wrong here but I think we’re talking about two different people. The TCU Tim Beck came from the MIAA (D2). I remember him playing for Pitt State back in the ‘80’s.

the tim beck brewingfrog referred to was on the staff at texas and fired by mensa

the tim beck who is an offensive analyst at tcu was a long time coach at pittsburg state, in this case the frogs got the better tim beck

4th. down

What the smarter guys said, above. I got my Becks confused...

I may be wrong here but Beck is with Kenny for a reason. GP talked previously about there were some coaches on staff (Kill/Beck) that would be assisting Kenny in his development. Whatever it is, it's working. Considering the circumstances with Max, I thought he looked real good. You have to consider where he was playing and against the no. 2 team in the nation. I still want to see Savion, QJ, and Sticks all 3 together on the same side of the field in a slot. Those LBs would go.....what the [ Finebaum ].

Eight

I may be wrong here but Beck is with Kenny for a reason. GP talked previously about there were some coaches on staff (Kill/Beck) that would be assisting Kenny in his development. Whatever it is, it's working. Considering the circumstances with Max, I thought he looked real good. You have to consider where he was playing and against the no. 2 team in the nation. I still want to see Savion, QJ, and Sticks all 3 together on the same side of the field in a slot. Those LBs would go.....what the [ #2020 ].

so is there any chance gary notices the progress made on the offensive side of the ball and suddenly realized that bringing in coaches who have actual experience outside the program and might have differing ideas is a good thing?

4th. down

so is there any chance gary notices the progress made on the offensive side of the ball and suddenly realized that bringing in coaches who have actual experience outside the program and might have differing ideas is a good thing?

Yeah, pretty obvious. Kill/Beck have drastically increased our percentage of scoring in the red zone, something that we have been terrible at. Believe Beck is with the QBs and Kill is overseeing the offensive line.....they have done a major turn around and Meach has just had to come to heel so to speak, which is probably best for us. Meach by himself is too erratic IMO. Remember all of those numerous crazy substitutions on the receivers?

PO Frog

I may be wrong here but Beck is with Kenny for a reason. GP talked previously about there were some coaches on staff (Kill/Beck) that would be assisting Kenny in his development. Whatever it is, it's working. Considering the circumstances with Max, I thought he looked real good. You have to consider where he was playing and against the no. 2 team in the nation. I still want to see Savion, QJ, and Sticks all 3 together on the same side of the field in a slot. Those LBs would go.....what the [ #2020 ].
I think Max being hobbled limited what he naturally wants to do running the ball and forced OC’s hand play calling along Max’s decision-making and was a blessing in disguise. I think maybe Max grew quite a bit as a QB and hopefully taught the staff a little something about how we can be successful without running him 15 times a game. Developing the passing game without relying on his legs as much could make him extremely dangerous when he’s back to full speed. Would love to see him be deadly through the air but also capable of scrambling for a 50 yard touchdown.

PO Frog

His defensive scheme is so confusing, his players only fully understand it in year 3 or 4. It is hard to plug and play personnel so injuries are extra tough on the defense.

Back to basics!
I’m so tired of this being a problem. Remember a few years ago (one of the losing seasons) where everyone was hurt so we switched to zone coverage for the last few games of the year - we ended up getting about 5 interceptions when we hadn’t had hardly any in the first half of the season.

Wish GP would just simplify and let our more athletic talent we are getting go find the damn ball. Let them make catches underneath, knock the snot out of them, and see if the opponent can do it 7 or 8 times all the way down the field without getting a holding penalty or a sack (or even a silly turnover which we don’t seem to get very often these days). They are college kids - make the offenses stay disciplined with nickel and dime stuff all the way down the field. Inevitably they will make some mistakes.

Froggy Style

I’m so tired of this being a problem. Remember a few years ago (one of the losing seasons) where everyone was hurt so we switched to zone coverage for the last few games of the year - we ended up getting about 5 interceptions when we hadn’t had hardly any in the first half of the season.

Wish GP would just simplify and let our more athletic talent we are getting go find the damn ball. Let them make catches underneath, knock the snot out of them, and see if the opponent can do it 7 or 8 times all the way down the field without getting a holding penalty or a sack (or even a silly turnover which we don’t seem to get very often these days). They are college kids - make the offenses stay disciplined with nickel and dime stuff all the way down the field. Inevitably they will make some mistakes.
This...Gary always seems to revert back to the base defense out of pride not matter what works on the field. Same thing happens every year against OU. Start with the base, fall behind, shift to safeties helping support rather than 1 on 1 coverage before the half is over, then shift back to rushing 5 or 6 and getting burned deep, giving up in the final 8 minutes and say it's because that final 8 minutes is going to preserve the long term season when it's really just preserving his defensive stats from giving up 700 yards rather than 550.

Someone who understand math and analytics would be able to recognize the trend. Someone who doesn't is bad at adjusting based on data and facts...and bad at assessing when to go for two, when to call a timeout, and when to go for it on fourth down vs go for an onside kick.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This...Gary always seems to revert back to the base defense out of pride not matter what works on the field. Same thing happens every year against OU. Start with the base, fall behind, shift to safeties helping support rather than 1 on 1 coverage before the half is over, then shift back to rushing 5 or 6 and getting burned deep, giving up in the final 8 minutes and say it's because that final 8 minutes is going to preserve the long term season when it's really just preserving his defensive stats from giving up 700 yards rather than 550.

Someone who understand math and analytics would be able to recognize the trend. Someone who doesn't is bad at adjusting based on data and facts...and bad at assessing when to go for two, when to call a timeout, and when to go for it on fourth down vs go for an onside kick.
The aspect of his strategy that is disturbing is that he is constantly reacting to what he is shown. He does not strive to take the initiative, and falls into a reactionary loop. In the past, it seems like there was more of an attacking aspect, something the offense would have to adjust to. That attacking posture does not seem to be present now.

4th. down

Yes, Cheez-It Bowl. It worked well and GP said yesterday that changes in coverage will be made, so hoping this is what he's referring too. LVZ has played some LB for us from time to time, so probably need to move him up closer to LS to keep the RB from clearing the LS. Without THT and Noah, our secondary is the weakest it's been since 2004.