• The KillerFrogs

Killer Frogs: Gary Patterson Press Conference: Week 8 "At the End of the Day"

Used to be great at stopping the run. I think the 240 lb DE's and 210 lb LB approach has caught up to us, because we can't stop the run without overcommitting to it, and when we do that......
Exactly, see the last great defense, 2014, and the size of the guys. He is obessed with speed as well as knowing the defense but when you guys get blown up it doesn't matter anymore. To add going too small will beat the team up creating this cycle of injuries, undersized underclassmen thrown into the fire thus the cycle continues.

Pharm Frog

I think that’s what he was getting at when he said “manage the season”.

He says crap just to say crap. If he was "managing the season" he would have rested Max and no way he lets Miller go back in. Why not manage "the decade"? We can't be limiting our decisions to this season...must think longer term...right? That said.....I can't wait to see what incredible things happen on November 26th when the season is one game.

Wexahu

He says crap just to say crap. If he was "managing the season" he would have rested Max and no way he lets Miller go back in. Why not manage "the decade"? We can't be limiting our decisions to this season...must think longer term...right? That said.....I can't wait to see what incredible things happen on November 26th when the season is one game.
I'm not defending him at all btw.

Mean Purple

LHCGP just can’t let go of that “defensive genius” moniker. He has to prove he can outscheme it all, and in a way, with the perfect reaction, and the perfect player, yes, I see it, but how often does that happen. As a result, we aren’t as aggressive. We tackle poorly. We don’t gang tackle. It is hot dang ol’ mess, and has been for a few years, even without injuries.
His defensive version of the "annexation of Cuba" is just over thinking it all. Our defensive players would be beast mode in an umbrella scheme like Barry Odum likes.

Some of this quotes in that article sound like a coach is worried about keeping his job.
Yup but it is natural - when you have been somewhere doing the same thing each day (for 20+ yrs) and land on GO with every roll of the dice, it becomes a part of the fabric of one's fundamental DNA. It has got to be a scary, scary feeling for someone like GCP to put his head on a pillow and let his thoughts linger to that "day" where the chapters in his book (career) have been all but written.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
In Ames, Iowa. Probably in cold, lousy weather. Probably playing for 6 wins. On their Senior Day.

Joy.

4th. down

In Ames, Iowa. Probably in cold, lousy weather. Probably playing for 6 wins. On their Senior Day.

Joy.

This and other TCU forums are all basically thinking the same about our dilemma. However, GP doesn't really seem to think we have one other than some injuries and what that leads to. It's just frustration for us because now we know for sure based on his statements.......he ain't going anywhere. However, I do see a major positive developing.....Max, and I have suspected that one of the reasons for his improvement is Tim Beck who is working with Kenny. Glad we have him and glad Kill brought him on board. Take out the 4 passes out of bounds to avoid a sack and he was at 77% completion rate with 4 TDs and no interceptions against OU in Norman......IMO, that's progress.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This and other TCU forums are all basically thinking the same about our dilemma. However, GP doesn't really seem to think we have one other than some injuries and what that leads to. It's just frustration for us because now we know for sure based on his statements.......he ain't going anywhere. However, I do see a major positive developing.....Max, and I have suspected that one of the reasons for his improvement is Tim Beck who is working with Kenny. Glad we have him and glad Kill brought him on board. Take out the 4 passes out of bounds to avoid a sack and he was at 77% completion rate with 4 TDs and no interceptions against OU in Norman......IMO, that's progress.
Tim Beck is currently the QB Coach/Offensive Coordinator at NC State.