• The KillerFrogs

Kenny Hill QB Coach (?)

Moose Stuff

Ive pointed this out before but in all 4 of our losses we got down early. Gave up the first TD and couldn’t respond. The effects of that on a run first (run only) football team is you are asked to operate in your weaknesses (passing). The reason why having balance and efficiency in your scheme is critical, is because you have to have another weapon in your bag to counter with. Football is a game of counterpunching and I haven’t seen us be able to do that. We never stop doing the same things over until we have no choice but to pull out prayers. At that point it’s to late to turn things around because we were trying to run things we’ve never successfully executed.

So you didn't watch the Oklahoma St game?

Eight

Ive pointed this out before but in all 4 of our losses we got down early. Gave up the first TD and couldn’t respond. The effects of that on a run first (run only) football team is you are asked to operate in your weaknesses (passing). The reason why having balance and efficiency in your scheme is critical, is because you have to have another weapon in your bag to counter with. Football is a game of counterpunching and I haven’t seen us be able to do that. We never stop doing the same things over until we have no choice but to pull out prayers. At that point it’s to late to turn things around because we were trying to run things we’ve never successfully executed.

wouldn't say the frogs were run first in the loss to iowa state as they did have downing throw it 21 times in the first half.

the kstate loss always seemed to be a disjointed offensive scheme / play calling mess that was as much on the staff as execution on the players.

do think the inability to effectively throw the ball hurt against wvu, ou not so sure we even have the right mindset right now to compete with them

agree that there was a general lack of cohesion in the offense this year.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I would have enjoyed being a fly-on-the-wall to see what transpired after the OU game, up to the Rape U. game. Between the ghastly, bumbling and dopey effort against K State, and the complete collapse against OU, where they were beat coming out of the tunnel, what took place?

Sure, there was a lot of screaming and yelling, but that happens at every practice. Something happened that gelled the team, got them to quit flailing around and begin calmly executing. The effort, poise, and above all confidence was apparent, where just a week before there was certain defeat in players eyes before they even got on the field.

Slumpbuster?

East Coast

Tier 1
We were fifth with losses to 6 and 7th in conference. how is that not bad given expectations and our recruiting edge over the doormat programs like Kansas and Baylor that own the 9 and 10 spot
You truly have no understanding what the term "bad" means. And jeez, the most optimistic forecast from a national source for TCU that I saw had us pegged for 4th. Most had us anywhere from 5th - 7th if I'm recalling properly.

Moose Stuff

You truly have no understanding what the term "bad" means. And jeez, the most optimistic forecast from a national source for TCU that I saw had us pegged for 4th. Most had us anywhere from 5th - 7th if I'm recalling properly.

I wonder what people would say about our season if the K St game was a blowout TCU win and the the UT game was a close loss.

ticketfrog123

We were 6-4 with wins over 2 teams that finished in top 25 in a year where expectations were pretty middling and that was before our QB had heart surgery. In no universe is that a bad team/year.

7-6 in 2018 - was TCU a good team that year too?

2016 we were 6-7 with a top 15 win - how about that one?

QB was cleared to play by medical professionals, stop using that as crutch or excuse.

ticketfrog123

Point being that for some reason people seem to put WAY more emphasis on what they perceive to be a bad loss than they do on our two quality wins. The win in Austin was a really good win. I also think that if we play KSU at the end of the schedule we run them off the field.

Pretty bad if we couldn’t beat their backup QB that the rest of the conference had no issue with.

Moose Stuff

7-6 in 2018 - was TCU a good team that year too?

2016 we were 6-7 with a top 15 win - how about that one?

QB was cleared to play by medical professionals, stop using that as crutch or excuse.

We're not talking about other years and we weren't discussing whether this team was GOOD. I'll take your massive moving of the goalposts as a concession of my previous point.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Everybody running through here shouting "it's impossible for your run game to improve AND your competition to be lesser, simultaneously!" Plus I guess OSU is in that "crappy opponent" group?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
satis is correct, could debate that all week. Another semi-forgotten fact of the season was luck. texas fumbling on our 1 yard line? That’s called a luck win (but yes, still called a win, I get it).

Moose Stuff

satis is correct, could debate that all week. Another semi-forgotten fact of the season was luck. texas fumbling on our 1 yard line? That’s called a luck win (but yes, still called a win, I get it).

Totally disagree with that being a "luck" win. We made plays to win that game, don't care how it happened. I also don't see why we couldn't have driven down and scored if they hadn't fumbled.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Totally disagree with that being a "luck" win. We made plays to win that game, don't care how it happened. I also don't see why we couldn't have driven down and scored if they hadn't fumbled.
While luck is "being prepared to grasp opportunity," it was still a damned lucky play. Maybe we drive the field, maybe we don't. I can't imagine a flag wouldn't come out to help UT along...

I'm still trying to figure out why we beat UT one week, then look like everybody swallowed a bucket of stupid pills the next week.

CountryFrog

We kicked Texas' ass up and down the field for pretty much the entire game. The idea that was a lucky win is nothing more than people who want to be upset about the season and state of the program.

What's funny is how us getting a turnover in that one makes it a lucky win for us according to some while I've also seen that us beating OSU was a lucky win because we should never win a game with 5 turnovers. So it's lucky when we get a turnover in a win and its also lucky when we turn it over and still win. Interesting bit of logic twisting going on there with a few people. I guess only games where neither team turns it over can be considered real legit victories.

ticketfrog123

The backup QB was about 2% of the reason we lost that game. Impossible to take you seriously at this point and perhaps that's on purpose, which is on me.

so why did we lose that game?

because our team can’t score or stop a one dimensional offense? Aka we were not a good football team in 2020

Froginbedford

ou not so sure we even have the right mindset right now to compete with them.

Agree....OU holds the psychological edge as well as the physical edge against the Frogs....Seven straight losses after 2014 (and two before that; the two losses in 2017 when we were second place, and presumably a contender, but losing both by 3 and four TDs respectively) has the teams believing that they can not win against OU...as well as not being able to physically match up with the Sooners....