• The KillerFrogs

Kenny Hill QB Coach (?)

Limp Lizard

I have been pretty vocal on this board about not wanting Hill. But it looks like it is done, so I am ready to move on and wish him success. At least he has had some QB coaching besides just Cumbie.

If Duggan can just improve his passing, we should have a good offense next year...finally. So far I have really been happy with how the OL has progressed under Anderson. Good stable of RB's. Some good returning receivers: 247 says Spielman is returning.

Moose Stuff

I don't know which one the problem is. I would suspect it starts w Anderson. I just don't trust GP to make the hard decision there.

I would have a hard time arguing against the idea that Anderson did a good job in 2020. Our OL got better. I don't know where the problem is either. Would love it if it was 100% Sonny, but I'm sure it probably wasn't.

Spike

I would have a hard time arguing against the idea that Anderson did a good job in 2020. Our OL got better. I don't know where the problem is either. Would love it if it was 100% Sonny, but I'm sure it probably wasn't.

Yes the product on the field improved, but the quality of competition diminished. Played Iowa State, K Sate, and OU right out of the gate. Those are the teams you have to beat. Had we played bodybag state and SMU first as tune ups I might be more inclined to agree with you.

Let's be careful about declaring improvement in positional units based on their performance against Kansas and Louisiana Tech and an OSU game we should not have won.

The O Line sucked last year and is the biggest obstacle to a successful 2021 campaign. Anyone can recognize the correlation between the downfall of a position group year to year and the movement of Jarrett Anderson to that particular position group coach. We can make as many excuses for him as we want but everyone knows that if he wasn't GP's "guy" then he would be long gone, and the team much better off. But alas

I have been pretty vocal on this board about not wanting Hill. But it looks like it is done, so I am ready to move on and wish him success. At least he has had some QB coaching besides just Cumbie.

If Duggan can just improve his passing, we should have a good offense next year...finally. So far I have really been happy with how the OL has progressed under Anderson. Good stable of RB's. Some good returning receivers: 247 says Spielman is returning.
Your hesitation is 100% justified. This is a multimillion dollar corporation who just gave the reins to the most important position group to a guy who's only qualification to this point is that he's an insider, all because of some bizarre conspiracy that the guy in charge is afraid of letting outsiders in.

Wexahu

Let's be careful about declaring improvement in positional units based on their performance against Kansas and Louisiana Tech and an OSU game we should not have won.

The O Line sucked last year and is the biggest obstacle to a successful 2021 campaign. Anyone can recognize the correlation between the downfall of a position group year to year and the movement of Jarrett Anderson to that particular position group coach. We can make as many excuses for him as we want but everyone knows that if he wasn't GP's "guy" then he would be long gone, and the team much better off. But alas

The O-line didn't suck last year. I don't think a team runs for almost 2,150 yards in 10 games with an O-line that "sucked". The biggest thing that sucked with the offense was the play in the passing game between the QB and his receivers. To be clear, I'm not saying they were great, or really good, or whatever. But they didn't suck.

Anderson is pretty well down the list of people to blame IMO.

The O-line didn't suck last year. I don't think a team runs for almost 2,150 yards in 10 games with an O-line that "sucked". The biggest thing that sucked with the offense was the play in the passing game between the QB and his receivers. To be clear, I'm not saying they were great, or really good, or whatever. But they didn't suck.

Anderson is pretty well down the list of people to blame IMO.
I don't know how to account for the absolute 180 this board did on Anderson and the OL around mid October. The absolute fact of the matter is that we all thought the OL sucked until we started playing bad teams and padded our stats. Funny how we all changed our minds once Baylor, TTU, KU and LA Tech came up on the schedule.
Austin Myers was a turnstile, Garrett Hayes left a lot to be desired (though still hopeful), Storment was beyond average, Coker has a ways to go.
The running stats you cited are attributable to the 5 Star RB and 4 Star RB who we decided not to use until mid season.

ticketfrog123

May be right, but people said the same thing about Mensa and his staff.

really don’t remember anybody being scared of a Houston coach that wasn’t briles. Media was all over his nuts bc of LSU coaching search but Herman was always a high floor, too low of a ceiling for UT coach

wish there was a better way to dig up those old threads.

Moose Stuff

I don't know how to account for the absolute 180 this board did on Anderson and the OL around mid October. The absolute fact of the matter is that we all thought the OL sucked until we started playing bad teams and padded our stats. Funny how we all changed our minds once Baylor, TTU, KU and LA Tech came up on the schedule.
Austin Myers was a turnstile, Garrett Hayes left a lot to be desired (though still hopeful), Storment was beyond average, Coker has a ways to go.
The running stats you cited are attributable to the 5 Star RB and 4 Star RB who we decided not to use until mid season.

Saying the OL got better isn't doing a 180 on Anderson. It's just stating a fact...
..they got better.

Moose Stuff

really don’t remember anybody being scared of a Houston coach that wasn’t briles. Media was all over his nuts bc of LSU coaching search but Herman was always a high floor, too low of a ceiling for UT coach

wish there was a better way to dig up those old threads.

Who said anyone was scared of him?

Moose Stuff

Pretty tough to lead the conference in rushing with an OL that sucks.

Limp Lizard

I thought last year and perhaps this year there was more than just x's and o's involved in the failure of the offense the last few years. And like I have said ad nauseum, the one common factor 2016-2020 was the presence of Cumbie as co-coordinator and QB coach. Wonder if the wonderful chemistry among the offensive coaches they spoke of in public was a smoke screen.

We will see.

jake102

Everybody keeps saying we should not have won OSU because we turned the ball over 5 times, but that’s the wrong conclusion. We should have won by another 3 touchdowns since it was such a dominant effort, but for the late whistle strips by the cowpokes.

I've watched a few games lately and notice how quickly/appropriately the whistle gets blown. Haven't seen a game since where they sit on the whistle for 1-2 seconds while a guy gets held up. The Evans fumble in particular was egregious.

Wexahu

I've watched a few games lately and notice how quickly/appropriately the whistle gets blown. Haven't seen a game since where they sit on the whistle for 1-2 seconds while a guy gets held up. The Evans fumble in particular was egregious.

They need to make it illegal for the ball carrier to be pushed by his teammates, and they need to start blowing the whistle when progress has stopped. Two no-brainer rules changes IMO. The others are stop the clock until the next play starts when a player goes OB, and don't stop the clock to move the chains on the first down. Let's get rid of officials constantly stopping and starting the clock for stupid reasons, and it's not managed even close to evenly throughout games anyway.

Sorry for the thread hijack.