• The KillerFrogs

KDFW: Attorney of TCU students accused of cheating turns up heat on school

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
KDFW: Attorney of TCU students accused of cheating turns up heat on school

By: FOX4News.com Staff

A Fort Worth attorney representing some students in an alleged cheating scandal at TCU said suspensions associated with the cheating have been lifted.

The university this week confirmed several students were suspended for what officials describe as cheating with an internet based study tool.

"A number of our students just yesterday afternoon heard that the suspension was being lifted,” attorney Leticia Martinez said. “They still would have the failing grade … and the academic misconduct.”

Read more at http://www.fox4news.com/news/attorney-of-tcu-students-accused-of-cheating-turns-up-heat-on-school

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
So the problem the students had was not telling the professor some of the questions showed up on the app. Yeah, I guess they should have but is that suspension worthy? They did really did nothing wrong.

Pharm Frog

So the problem was that a comm professor was too lazy to reconstruct exams and too lazy to do a simple online search for test questions and prompts on the interwebs. Suspend the prof and demand partial repayment of salary for as many semesters as these exams were used. Prof should be personally and professionally embarrassed and enough so that he or she or ye should have never even raised this issue. Give the students the grade they earned by actually taking the time to engage in research and study.

Punter1

All I have to say is Thank the Lord there were so many lazy professors in the early 90's who didn't change tests.

I took many classes outside my major ONLY because I had the old tests and knew they weren't gonna change them.

sketchy

I’m old, and had never heard of Quizlet, until the news broke last week.
Next day, asked my 2 kids (10th and 7th grade), about this app, and they were both like, “Duh, everybody uses this.”
They actually said their teachers encourage their students to use it as a study tool.

I simply don’t understand why the school is flipping out, when professors HAD to know about this, for some time.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
My HS kids use quizlet. Their teachers actually create assignments with it, so it’s an integral part of the curriculum.

This is a bad look for TCU and could have been resolved more reasonably.

Concur.
This sounds more & more like 1 pissed off prof who got caught 20 years behind the tech curve & exposed his/her own ignorance and made it worse by digging in on the I’m the Prof and I’m always Right no matter how egregiously obvious the counter-evidence showing I’m just ignorant is.
A very bad look for TCU.
Time for someone to retire—now would be good.

Opintel

Moderators
I taught at the NMITC (Dam Neck) and we had to change the tests, multiple times during my three years there. These little devils were pretty darn smart!

Who knows what NMITC is?;)

Eight

Northern Montana Institute of Technological Cows.

latest

smufrogger

My HS kids use quizlet. Their teachers actually create assignments with it, so it’s an integral part of the curriculum.

This is a bad look for TCU and could have been resolved more reasonably.
never heard of this app, but sure enough my kids are quite aware of it. I agree with the rest here on the forum, its an odd take from the school to be coming down on the app...IMO they should be coming down on the professors who aren't changing up their exams...

tcumaniac

TCU sure can be really darning dumb and embarrassing sometimes.

As someone that was at TCU not too long ago, this entire situation seems absolutely ridiculous.

What I don’t understand is how any of these students got “caught” in the first place. Using quizlet is anonymous from what I remember. Even if the professor discovered that there were old test questions on quizlet, I don’t get how he figured out who had seen them...unless he directly asked the class and these people came forward and admitted to it. What also confuses me is that the article mentions that students were from multiple different semesters. Everything isn’t fully adding up.

Last edited:

Double V

TCU sure can be really darning dumb and embarrassing sometimes.

As someone that was at TCU not too long ago, this is entire situation is absolutely ridiculous.

What I don’t understand is how any of these students got “caught” in the first place. Using quizlet is anonymous from what I remember. Even if the professor discovered that there were old test questions on quizlet, I don’t get how he figured out who had seen them...unless he directly asked the class and these people came forward and admitted to it. What also confuses me is that the article mentions that students were from multiple different semesters. Everything isn’t fully adding up.
Perhaps the perps were looking at the questions/answers on their phones during the test???