• The KillerFrogs

Katie Hoff kinda sucks...

Chongo94

I don't want to bag too much on the girl and maybe it's not her fault (regarding the hype) but so far the reality isn't matching up with the hype at all. She was supposed to be the Michael Phelps of the women's team and so far she's not even close. Obviously she has talent but maybe she just chokes on the olympic stage. She didn't even medal in two of her best events. Perhaps this was the media hyping her up but I don't remember another olympic swimmer that the media hyped that didn't live up to it like this.

I saw one blogger theorize that she should be the new face of Fail Blog.

PurplePassion

Princess
QUOTE(Chongo94 @ Aug 13 2008, 11:06 PM) [snapback]188532[/snapback]
I saw one blogger theorize that she should be the new face of Fail Blog.

that blogger should probably get off his fat [Deleted] and go try to medal in the olympic games....

Chongo94

QUOTE(PurplePassion @ Aug 14 2008, 05:08 AM) [snapback]188542[/snapback]
that blogger should probably get off his fat [Deleted] and go try to medal in the olympic games....

Actually, the blogger was a competitive swimmer, not at the olympic level of course but still a swimmer nonetheless.

I don't think you can ever judge someone until you walk in their shoes, but the media makes it hard when they build up someone like this and the reality doesn't match the expected outcome.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Well then, your scorn should be directed at the media and not Hoff. Just because Phelps makes it look easy doesn't mean that it is easy to beat the entire world in any event.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(PurplePassion @ Aug 14 2008, 12:08 AM) [snapback]188542[/snapback]

Amen. Never ceases to amaze me that people would criticize a teenage girl (or any olympian) for not being good enough.

goldenfrog

I am a former competitive swimmer and have a few observations about Hoff.

First of all she is biting off more than most swimmers can handle in the Olympics. She probably should have scaled back on some events. It is very hard to train for an 800 free and a 200 IM and peak for both races in the Olympics.

Also, she is not swimming as fast as the she swam in the trials. She went a 4:02 in the 400 Free at the trials. If she repeated that time in the Olympics she would have won the gold.

This tells me that she could have peaked too much for the trials. This makes it very difficult to swim 6 week later and go faster. Unfortunately, if the American swimmers don't rest and shave for the trials they won't make the team because the competition is so strong. Phelps is one of the few swimmers that could afford not be fully rested for the trials. The European swimmers and swimmers like Kirsty Coventry who swims for Zimbabwe don't face nearly as tough a trials. Zimbabwe probably doesn't even have trials for all I know. So she has the benefit of training and then peaking once.

goldenfrog

In addition, even with her being off in the Olympics Hoff is still the best all-around female swimmer in the world. She is not showing it at these Olympics which is unfortunate.

Plus, the female Chinese swimmers are swimming suspiciously fast. You are going to hear more and more talk about this. Just wait.

Chongo94

QUOTE(goldenfrog @ Aug 14 2008, 04:01 PM) [snapback]188666[/snapback]
In addition, even with her being off in the Olympics Hoff is still the best all-around female swimmer in the world. She is not showing it at these Olympics which is unfortunate.

Plus, the female Chinese swimmers are swimming suspiciously fast. You are going to hear more and more talk about this. Just wait.

I've thought the same thing. They've come out of nowhere in the past year or so.

neo926

I thought the Phelps comparisons were only because of the number of events she was racing in, not that she was supposed to achieve his results.

Chongo94

QUOTE(Mike M. @ Aug 14 2008, 06:57 PM) [snapback]188782[/snapback]
I thought the Phelps comparisons were only because of the number of events she was racing in, not that she was supposed to achieve his results.

She had finished 1st at last year's world championships in the 200 and 400 IM and 4x200 free.

dina123

Hello,
I am williams.Katie is so much talented.She has the ability to win.But perhaps things might not be working for her in these olympics.The other reason might be that the chinese people are more talented than her.
============================
williams
Utah Drug Treatment

Chongo94

QUOTE(williams @ Aug 22 2008, 02:27 AM) [snapback]191582[/snapback]
Hello,
I am williams.Katie is so much talented.She has the ability to win.But perhaps things might not be working for her in these olympics.The other reason might be that the chinese people are more talented than her.
============================
williams
Utah Drug Treatment

wth?! :blink:

luoxiaosang

When I archlord money, was about 13, my parents decided to buy an old house in the country. They found an old school house for sale and the main quarters were the headmaster’s house. The headmaster’s house being the larger of the two was the one we lived in. The school house was used as guest accommodation when family and friends came to visit. I loved living there because whenever I had friends stay over, we could use the school house unsupervised and because the place had a kitchen and a bathroom we never had to go to the main archlord money house.
This one dog clothes,night in particular I had two people staying in the house with me my best friend Sandy and my cousin Shane. We collected all the things we would need for the night and set up our sleeping bags in the middle of the room. We talked until the early hours of the morning, and as we were all getting sleepy we thought it was a good time to say goodnight. We were doing our rip-off of the Waltons "good night Jim Bob, etc." when I saw something out the corner of my eye. It was one green orb about the size of a small dinner plate and it went from one side of the room straight over to the fire place and just stopped. My friends had also noticed and we were all whispering, "What is dog clothes that?"
Feeling unusually maple story mesos,brave, I decided to prove that it was the moon because that’s all it could have been; we were out in the middle of nowhere and there were no lights of any kind. I got up and went to look out the window. But there was no light source; the moon was behind the clouds and outside was pitch maple story mesos black.
Just as I was flyff penya, about to say this, all the windows in the room started to shake and the orb was changing in colour from green to orange to red and getting brighter all the time. I backed away from the windows and sat back down between my two friends, trying to hide the fact that I was flyff penya petrified.
When all last chaos gold,the shaking stopped and the place calmed down, my cousin dared me to go and see if I could touch the orb. A dare is a dare so I accepted. I got up and somehow made my feet walk over to the orb. I reached up and it disappeared. yelling at us for making so much noise and waking him up. He said it sounded like we were banging on the walls and he also said he could see lights on in the school house. But he said it was when we started screaming that he really got fed up and decided to tell us to shut up and go to last chaos gold bed.
We tried cheap wow gold,to convince him that we hadn’t done anything, that we hadn’t even made a noise, but he didn’t belive us. We didn’t see any point in arguing, so we called it a night we decided to take our chances in the school house because dad was to mad to reason with.After he left, I felt the immediate need to go to the bathroom. I put the light on and made my friends stand lookout on the other side of the door. Just as I sat down, the darn thing flushed and I nearly hit the roof. I don’t know how it happened, but I didn’t hang around to find out. I went outside instead. We stayed awake until it was morning and I haven’t slept in there cheap wow gold since.