• The KillerFrogs

Kansas City Business Journal: Hoefer Welker helps design $62M building for Texas Christian University's new medical school

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Kansas City Business Journal: Hoefer Welker helps design $62M building for Texas Christian University's new medical school

By Mary King – Staff Writer, Kansas City Business Journal

iu

Texas Christian University is in the middle of its first major off-campus development, thanks to the help of a Leawood-based architecture and design firm.

Hoefer Welker, in partnership with Los Angeles-based CO Architects and Fort Worth, Texas-based Dunaway, designed the 95,000-square-foot building for TCU's newly named Anne Burnett Marion School of Medicine, where hundreds of faculty and staff will work with 240 students to build a new generation of medical talent and clinical expertise.

Read more at https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasc...lker-tcu-burnett-medical-school-building.html

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Well, at least it isn't Brutalist. Like so much of recent architecture, it greatly resembles a parking garage, but the arches and subtle curves on the roofline provide relief from the monotony of 90 degree angles and harsh facades.

Brog

When the design is finalized, I hope it looks better than that drawing. Looks very dated to my eye.
They sure passed up an opportunity for a group of FrogForum posters to design the building. I'da been on the committee if I'd hadda chance. (And wonder what it would have looked like if we designed it.)

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
They sure passed up an opportunity for a group of FrogForum posters to design the building. I'da been on the committee if I'd hadda chance. (And wonder what it would have looked like if we designed it.)
Like a giant heart. "The main auditorium will be in the Aorta, while the labs will be in the left ventricle..."

Toad Jones

By Mary King – Staff Writer, Kansas City Business Journal

iu

Texas Christian University is in the middle of its first major off-campus development, thanks to the help of a Leawood-based architecture and design firm.

Hoefer Welker, in partnership with Los Angeles-based CO Architects and Fort Worth, Texas-based Dunaway, designed the 95,000-square-foot building for TCU's newly named Anne Burnett Marion School of Medicine, where hundreds of faculty and staff will work with 240 students to build a new generation of medical talent and clinical expertise.

Read more at https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasc...lker-tcu-burnett-medical-school-building.html
THAT is a GOOD looking facility!!

I think it looks great, even luxurious with two-axis archways (entering and lateral) and fourth level outdoor deck. The front has a lot of 3rd dimension depth that will look better when viewing in real life 3D. The wide, tall two story vertical arches contrast nicely with the horizontal linear 3rd and 4th levels, each distinct.

Seems creative to me—an exterior of four levels which all have a different structural appearance, which seems more interesting than most if not all the buildings on campus. Even the roof has something unique to view, so five levels of varied structure.

Last edited: