• The KillerFrogs

Kansas basketball cheating

LVH

Don't understand why. Their program practically sells itself. Just go to a game at Allen Fieldhouse and you'll see why.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...sed-improper-benefits-recruit-transcript-says

"Hey, but between me and you, you know, he asked about some stuff, you know?" Townsend said, according to Moore. "And I said, 'Well, we'll talk about that (when) you decide.'"

And then Code said: "I know what he's asking for. This is the player's father. He's asking for opportunities from an occupational (perspective). He's asking for money in the pocket. And he's asking for housing for him and the family."

Townsend replied: "So, I've got to just try to work and figure out a way. Because if that's what it takes to get him for 10 months, we're going to have to do it some way."

Purp

Don't understand why. Their program practically sells itself. Just go to a game at Allen Fieldhouse and you'll see why.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...sed-improper-benefits-recruit-transcript-says

"Hey, but between me and you, you know, he asked about some stuff, you know?" Townsend said, according to Moore. "And I said, 'Well, we'll talk about that (when) you decide.'"

And then Code said: "I know what he's asking for. This is the player's father. He's asking for opportunities from an occupational (perspective). He's asking for money in the pocket. And he's asking for housing for him and the family."

Townsend replied: "So, I've got to just try to work and figure out a way. Because if that's what it takes to get him for 10 months, we're going to have to do it some way."
I think the reason why is supply and demand. There are fewer of the elite kids with one and done talent than there are elite, tradition rich programs trying to land them. Competition for them is fierce and more expensive than for 4 star guys. It's why I'm convinced Bama pays more and better than anyone in the country in football.

I think the reason why is supply and demand. There are fewer of the elite kids with one and done talent than there are elite, tradition rich programs trying to land them. Competition for them is fierce and more expensive than for 4 star guys. It's why I'm convinced Bama pays more and better than anyone in the country in football.

Now I would say Texas A&M pays more and better than anyone in college football. They haven't won a dang thing but they sit at #1 recruiting class for 2019 & 2020. Winning recruits over elite powerhouse traditional schools over and over. Hype, Jimbo, and facilities helps you win a few face to face battles versus the traditional winners, but it doesn't make you #1 for 2019 and 2020 before the season even started for 2018. They are also an addidas school like the basketball schools cheating. They have more profit than any school, they have so much money they don't know what to do with it , and they are paying players no doubt in my mind. They're not paying Jimbo 10 Mil a year and their OC and DC 2-5 Mil to bring Sumlin results. No, they are trying to buy a national title. And who knows Saban might retire becoming the coach with the most titles if Bama wins the title again. Which opens the door to cheating A&M in the SEC west.

Purp

I don't understand putting your entire program at risk just to get a guy who you think will only be on the team for one year anyway.
It's not a risk when everyone is doing it and only Boise St. gets punished when someone gets caught. Chances for national titles are reduced when you don't have those guys. Those programs expect to win it all every year.

Wexahu

I don't understand putting your entire program at risk just to get a guy who you think will only be on the team for one year anyway.

I don't think they feel like they are putting their programs at risk, that's the problem. Until the NCAA comes down hard on stuff like this, they'll just do whatever they have to do to land kids. It's kind of like an "as long as everyone else is doing the same thing we'll be fine" attitude.

Eight

the ncaa is staying as far away from this as they can because the elephant in the room is not money given to players.

how much money do the shoe companies pay the coaches and the universities and if you think that has no impact on the lack of action by the ncaa on any of this then you still believe the ncaa is all about amateur athletics

CountryFrog

It's not a risk when everyone is doing it and only Boise St. gets punished when someone gets caught. Chances for national titles are reduced when you don't have those guys. Those programs expect to win it all every year.
It's definitely due to expecting that you won't get caught just like all other cheating and criminal activity.

It just doesn't seem like many of these one and dones end up having real significant impacts on teams. There are always a handful each year that play great but the rest are undeveloped raw athletes who aren't very good basketball players and won't be very good until they get into the NBA.

Even several that have been really good have ended up on teams that didn't even make the tournament. I know these basketball coaches know their rosters better than I do, but places like Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc seem like they would be really good with guys who actually stayed in their program for 3 or 4 years too.

bronco

the ncaa is staying as far away from this as they can because the elephant in the room is not money given to players.

how much money do the shoe companies pay the coaches and the universities and if you think that has no impact on the lack of action by the ncaa on any of this then you still believe the ncaa is all about amateur athletics
I have been following Dan Wetzel's tweets on the trial and according to him there has been no one from the NCAA attending the trial.

dawg

This. North Carolina basically got zero punishment, nor will any big-time program. NCAA only drops the hammer on Cleveland St.

Eight

I have been following Dan Wetzel's tweets on the trial and according to him there has been no one from the NCAA attending the trial.

they have no reason to show up. their members don't want the flow of money to stop nor do they want any focus upon the fact millions are paid to coaches, programs, and schools to get players to be seen wearing their gear.

three articles addressing the amount of money and notice the date on the last one, 1991.

27 years ago john thompson and tark were getting paid $4 million by nike. the roots of this are far, far too deep and established.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/feature/ncaa-deals-nike-adidas-under-armour.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlyb...le-college-sports-apparel-deals/#7e887bcf308f

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...3e1dff1/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d5cb0d42d084