• The KillerFrogs

Kaden Archie Transferring?

insolventfrog

3.1% of HS Basketball players will play in college, only .885% will be at a D1 school. Meaning he likely never played against D1 talent, possibly played against a couple NCAA D2-D3/JUCO guys and likely never had one on a team, let alone a locker room full with them.

It's hard to go from being the best to being a rookie. These kids have tons of hype around them just to realize competition actually exists.
I certainly agree with the rookie comment and about the hype, but let's not overthink things here. The reason why we were so excited about his commitment was because he had excelled against outstanding talent at the high school level. I know nothing about the AAU scene, but in his first two high school games last year, Midlothian played South Garland and Guyer. Off the top of my head, he scored 29 and 27 against guys who are committed to: Kentucky (surely a one-and-done),Texas A$M, Michigan, Oklahoma, and another D-I destination TBA, and another guy currently at Georgetown. Midlothians's district his junior and senior years included Waxahachie, Lancaster, and Timberview, and each of those schools had multiple DI recruits. Red Oak probably did, too. They played 6A state champ Allen in nondistrict.

He was a bad dude against great competition last year. But, barring significant development on his part or a TCU Football-like injury situation, he was not going to see significant time this year with such experienced players as Miller, Noi, Bane, Fisher, and Robinson getting/deserving large chunks of minutes, Nembhard getting a good look in his second year in the program (hmm), Samuels and Alok holding down the 5, and Davis basically demanding that we spend entire games with three guards on the court. Despite that, Davis is averaging 11.3 minutes per game and Archie 10.1. (Bet they'd have both been averaging double (triple?!) that on our teams a decade-ish ago.)

You get these guys hoping their belief that they are the baddest dudes around will be justified by the time they leave the program. There were some indications that we might see that with Archie. If he is transferring, it's disappointing, but there's plenty of talent present and future. What an awesome "problem" to have.

MTfrog5

I certainly agree with the rookie comment and about the hype, but let's not overthink things here. The reason why we were so excited about his commitment was because he had excelled against outstanding talent at the high school level. I know nothing about the AAU scene, but in his first two high school games last year, Midlothian played South Garland and Guyer. Off the top of my head, he scored 29 and 27 against guys who are committed to: Kentucky (surely a one-and-done),Texas A$M, Michigan, Oklahoma, and another D-I destination TBA, and another guy currently at Georgetown. Midlothians's district his junior and senior years included Waxahachie, Lancaster, and Timberview, and each of those schools had multiple DI recruits. Red Oak probably did, too. They played 6A state champ Allen in nondistrict.

He was a bad dude against great competition last year. But, barring significant development on his part or a TCU Football-like injury situation, he was not going to see significant time this year with such experienced players as Miller, Noi, Bane, Fisher, and Robinson getting/deserving large chunks of minutes, Nembhard getting a good look in his second year in the program (hmm), Samuels and Alok holding down the 5, and Davis basically demanding that we spend entire games with three guards on the court. Despite that, Davis is averaging 11.3 minutes per game and Archie 10.1. (Bet they'd have both been averaging double (triple?!) that on our teams a decade-ish ago.)

You get these guys hoping their belief that they are the baddest dudes around will be justified by the time they leave the program. There were some indications that we might see that with Archie. If he is transferring, it's disappointing, but there's plenty of talent present and future. What an awesome "problem" to have.
Agree with majority of this post. The speed of the game is a big adjustment to a lot of the players too. You should look up the scoring numbers RJ put up in high school.

Eight

agree with insolvent and one thing when you are playing on an elite aau level is you are facing among the very best in the country.

archie played for the adidas aau urban elite team out of dallas which i believe also had on in feron hunt who signed with smu and their point guard went to oru.

jazzy hartwell has them in tournaments across the country including atlanta, la, houston, dallas, and las vegas.

he might not have been playing in an organized environment like most d-1 teams, but i can promise you that before he stepped court at tcu he had gone head to head with multiple opponents who ended up at d-1 schools. quick google search will turn up multiple videos of archie against some of the best aau teams in the country.

when people talk about sitting out a year if he was not getting minutes now and can read a roster he has to know bane has another year at tcu, noi has two, and rj has three if those are the players his competing for minutes.

he might have to sit a year, but the odds of him starting at tcu before fall of 2020 aside from an injury just aren't good. this might not be an issue of a kid thinking he is one and done, but someone who feels he isn't getting minutes and won't get minutes.

flyfishingfrog

So if he transfers now, he basically won’t be eligible to play next year until January - correct?

So he has to break into a lineup after missing the entire non-con and just as conference only starts?

And he is worried about getting playing time here?

Seems like he is about to waste two entire years of his career

JogginFrog

Question for those who have played: Does the hoop/backdrop in some arenas just not suit the eye of certain players? Any chance that's part of the issue with Archie's shooting numbers? I'm sure there are many better reasons to transfer. But his shooting has been so bad it has me wondering. What do players say about the sight lines in DMC?

Ballard

Question for those who have played: Does the hoop/backdrop in some arenas just not suit the eye of certain players? Any chance that's part of the issue with Archie's shooting numbers? I'm sure there are many better reasons to transfer. But his shooting has been so bad it has me wondering. What do players say about the sight lines in DMC?
Former player - not really, no. The only time it can mess with your depth perception is if you're playing in a huge place (like a football stadium) where's theres a lot more negative space behind the hoop than you're used to. DMC (and any arena like it) is a shooter's gym, IMO, and his issues shooting run (ran?) way deeper than the arena setup.

Sad to see him go, but we're going to be just fine. If it was someone like Samuel leaving last year when you knew there would be a void a that position next season and he was expected to be a major contributor, that would be much more worrying to me. We'll always have the poster of you missing against USC, Kaden!

insolventfrog

long term they have already recruited basically his replacement in smith and fuller

this year, i just hope we don't miss him defensively w fisher having an issue with the knee again
If R.J. continues to play at today's level (or, hopefully, continues to improve his overall play), I think we'll be fine this year (I'm ignoring Fisher's missing today and us missing free throws today).

Eight

If R.J. continues to play at today's level (or, hopefully, continues to improve his overall play), I think we'll be fine this year (I'm ignoring Fisher's missing today and us missing free throws today).

agree in almost every area expect the defensive potential he had on the perimeter.

i guess noi would be the next guy with that ability, but he seems to zone out at times

insolventfrog

agree in almost every area expect the defensive potential he had on the perimeter.

i guess noi would be the next guy with that ability, but he seems to zone out at times
Oh, absolutely. And I would be comfortable calling Archie an elite defender right now (At least, individually. Hadn't seen him enough of him to gauge his impact on team defense). It would've been nice to have stuck him on 24 this afternoon when he was carrying them offensively and just not particularly worry about him until the next media timeout.

Not sure anyone on the roster has the pure physical toolset and mentality to be an elite defender I agree on Noi coming closest physically but would venture a guess that a healthy Fisher would come closest overall. But since that ain't happening this season (ever?)...

Still, if RJ gives us a decent facsimile of this game offensively in Big XII play, it should more than balance out the defense.

Delray Frog

I really like Archie's athleticism and I hate to lose an athlete like him, but his attitude must have really sucked. The facts are that he plays a wing, so which of the guys in front of him did he think deserved less minutes? Desmond? JD? Noi? If he doesn't want to be here then it's definitely best for him to move on. Nothing worse than someone in the locker room bitching selfishly about not getting enough minutes. We don't need that karma.

Good luck to you Kaden. You would have probably had a good career here if you had the mindset to wait your turn and develop into a team player. Instead, you will head to a 4-10 Illinois team where you will sit out the next year. Next January you may finally get to play again on a team that finishes in the bottom half of the BIG 10 and goes nowhere. Meanwhile, the Frogs will be competing for Conference Championships and playing in the Big Dance year after year with guys that are selflessly dedicated to the team. There is a reason that this team consistently leads the conference in assists. Because everyone plays to make the next guy better. Another top 100 recruit will fill your spot on next year's Horned Frog team and the Frogs will never look back.

GO FROGS!