• The KillerFrogs

Jim Brown dies, TCU 1957 Cotton Bowl big win

Brog

Takes us more mature Frogs to remember that 1957 classic. Syracuse was ranked 8th, we were ranked 14th, they had Jim Brown, we had Jim Swink. Great weather for the game, sell out crowd, we had big leads twice, they rallied, but one missed extra point and we won. Among great memories, especially Jim Swink. Brown turned out to be one of the NFL's greatest. A good guy. He was 87.

Last edited:
Takes us more mature Frogs to remember that 1957 classic. Syracuse was ranked 8th, we were ranked 14th, they had Jim Brown, we had Jim Swink. Great weather for the game, sell out crowd, we had big leads twice, they rallied, but one missed extra point and we won. Among great memories, especially Jim Swing. Brown turned out to be one of the NFL's greatest. A good guy. He was 87.
That picture of the TCU locker room before that game was included among SI’s 100 greatest sports photographs, I think.

Virginia Frog

Jim Brown was a man of many talents.

Besides football and acting he had a hand in the music industry.

He "discovered" the "Friends of Distinction" in a near-LAX hotel lounge, signed them, got a recording contract on RCA leading to their prominence on the pop charts of the late-'60s.

From Wikipedia:
"The Friends of Distinction formed in 1968 in Los Angeles with original members Floyd Butler (June 5, 1937 – April 29, 1990), Harry Elston (born November 4, 1938), Jessica Cleaves (December 10, 1948 – May 2, 2014), and Barbara Jean Love (born July 24, 1941).[1] Butler and Elston had worked together in The Hi-Fi's in the mid 1960s, often opening for Ray Charles.[1] Other members of the Hi-Fi's were Marilyn McCoo and Lamont McLemore, who would later co-found The Fifth Dimension.

The Friends of Distinction were discovered by American football player Jim Brown, who also discovered Earth, Wind & Fire[citation needed], and were signed to RCA Records."

A "Fifth Dimension"-esque dynamic vocal group, FoD's biggest hit was "Grazing In the Grass". Here's an appearance on Ed Sullivan in 1970 (Youtube):

Palliative Care

The Cowboys thought they had the secret to how to stop Jim Brown. They noticed on film that after a run he was always slow to get back up. So they decided to not let him lie on the ground and rest. So they kept offing him a hand up after every tackle.
It didn’t work. Brown still ran through them like always.

MadFrog

I saw him in person play the Cowboys at the old Cotton Bowl. First time he touched the ball he went around 70 yards. He was awesome. Speed and power combined.

Eight

the man definitely lived multiple lives be it on the football field, tv and movies where he has an imdb page with 58 screen credits, to his community work later in life

goodness knows he wasn't a saint by any means, but he lived a very faceted life

Frog DJ

Chico Mendoza! (Look it up)

My dad never got to go to college (WWII), but he LOVED the Frogs, and he bought season tickets immediately after he got home from overseas.

He and mom attended that 57 Cotton Bowl, but I was only 9 years old, so I was relegated to watching the game on TV at Grandma’s house.

When my folks picked me up after the game, Pop had a GIANT grin on his face. He would just chuckle to himself and mumble, “Chico Mendoza.”

Also, check out Richard Pryor’s story about Jim Brown - “Whatcha goin’ do?”

Go Frogs!