• The KillerFrogs

I've got to respectfully disagree with the mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
I'm not going to mention the player's name out of respect for your request, but...

This is ridiculous. Our best player is not playing (let's just leave it at that), and the whole scenario has obivously caused some level of distraction with GP and the team. And we're not even allowed to talk about it? At all? Why on earth are we here if we can't talk about stuff like this?

Deleting posts that contain rampant speculation or personal insults seems appropriate, but the vast majority of the posts in the now-disappeared thread on this topic from today contained neither. What's wrong with reasonable discussion of what's going on?

I respect our players as always; I appreciate their efforts in a Frog uniform and in the classroom as well. I admire, them, really. Yes, they're amateurs, but they DO receive some compensation for their efforts (I know that we don't spend $200,000 per athlete the way UT does, but I'll bet what we do spend per athlete is greater than the salaries of a number of posters on this board), and a lot of people on this board are at least partially responsible for providing that compensation.

When somebody who is on schloarship to play football isn't playing for some rather mysterious reason--further clouded by an article in the press that's very much in the public domain--it seems reasonable that we should be able to discuss the situation reasonably here. And, honestly, that's what the vast majority of us have been doing.

This is a big deal, like it or not. Besides, it's more interesting than discussing Mike Schultz, the band, game day production, marketing, whether or not everybody likes steelfrog, etc. etc. etc.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I appreciate your comments but in this particular case, we have been asked by someone at TCU to just refrain from talk about the player during the 2 week period he is on medical leave. Thats all.

The person in question apparently reads this board and all of the talk isnt making things better.

The way it was presented to me was this, the team has his back, the coaches have his back so can we cover him as well. In other words, can this Horned Frog community help out a Frog in need?

I can do my part for another week

sous vide

QUOTE(HFrog1999 @ Oct 4 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]55804[/snapback]
Wow, a thread started by the "co-head moderator" was deleted :unsure:

Re. the thread from the PUBLIC newspaper article, I'd say someone made a wrong call deleting it. It was discussing an article published in a public source. Again, bad call.

Re. the thread more personally calling out the player in question, that one was over line, IMO.

Deep Purple

QUOTE(HFrog1999 @ Oct 4 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]55804[/snapback]
Wow, a thread started by the "co-head moderator" was deleted :unsure:

The original post is still around but has rolled to page 2. All the player discussion and speculation attached to it is gone.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(wes @ Oct 4 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]55809[/snapback]
I appreciate your comments but in this particular case, we have been asked by someone at TCU to just refrain from talk about the player during the 2 week period he is on medical leave. Thats all.

The person in question apparently reads this board and all of the talk isnt making things better.

The way it was presented to me was this, the team has his back, the coaches have his back so can we cover him as well. In other words, can this Horned Frog community help out a Frog in need?

OK, wes. I understand the situation you're in. It must be awkward, and you want to do the right thing. I can respect that. I certainly have no personal axe to grind here. Plus, it's your board. :biggrin:

I still love the board--you, Matthew and the gang do a great job of running it. In fact, after I get married and stop spending money on ridiculous things like wedding rings and honeymoons (in Texas), I plan to finally become a paid member.

I just had to get that stuff out.

sous vide

QUOTE(Deep Purple @ Oct 4 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]55813[/snapback]
The original post is still around but has rolled to page 2. All the player discussion and speculation attached to it is gone.

Still a bad call.

(But not the other one.)

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(NewfoundlandFrog @ Oct 4 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]55812[/snapback]
Re. the thread from the PUBLIC newspaper article,

That's the one I was talking about.

Re. the thread more personally calling out the player in question,

I never saw that one, just for the record.

Deep Purple

QUOTE(NewfoundlandFrog @ Oct 4 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]55817[/snapback]
Still a bad call.

(But not the other one.)

Initially the the thread was okay, but as it got longer, people just kept pushing the envelope and, in some cases, were plainly ignoring the injunction altogether.

A moderator, like a football official, will never please everybody.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
QUOTE(NewfoundlandFrog @ Oct 4 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]55812[/snapback]
Re. the thread from the PUBLIC newspaper article, I'd say someone made a wrong call deleting it. It was discussing an article published in a public source. Again, bad call.

Re. the thread more personally calling out the player in question, that one was over line, IMO.

I cant control what the newspaper publishes but I am quite certain they have been asked, as we have been asked, to honor the two week moratorium

We all want him to be better and if this helps, then its a small price to pay in my opinion

general125

QUOTE(wes @ Oct 4 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]55809[/snapback]

That seems to be reasonable.

HFrog1999

QUOTE(Deep Purple @ Oct 4 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]55813[/snapback]
Okay, thanks.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(wes @ Oct 4 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]55828[/snapback]
I cant control what the newspaper publishes but I am quite certain they have been asked, as we have been asked, to honor the two week moratorium

if that's true then maybe someone might want to tell CGP to honor the moratorium since he is quote directly in the story - although those quotes might have come before the moratorium.

HFrog1999

QUOTE(general125 @ Oct 4 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]55832[/snapback]
That seems to be reasonable.
I agree, Wes is actually taking an admirable financial stand in agreeing not to discuss the issue. Discussing of the topic would increase traffic to his website, however, it could cause harm to a fellow frog.

sous vide

QUOTE(HFrog1999 @ Oct 4 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]55841[/snapback]
I agree, Wes is actually taking an admirable financial stand in agreeing not to discuss the issue. Discussing of the topic would increase traffic to his website, however, it could cause harm to a fellow frog.

I can live with it, altho as I said discussion of a public article seems inside the line. But OK. No problem here. The other thread was started by about as selfish a post as I've seen for a while and deserved deletion absolutely.

Purple Geezer

QUOTE(wes @ Oct 4 2007, 06:12 PM) [snapback]55809[/snapback]

Unnamed player speaks! Coming in Star Telegram tomorrow.

steelfrog

Tier 1

I hate this board and nearly everyone on it. Can't stand the mods and administrators. But this is the correct call here Wes. This stuff about "They do receive compensation, so we can bag on them." is horse hockey. I was on the football and track teams, but was an academic scholarship student. Does that put me in a differentr category? For that matter, I believe 80% of the studentsa on campus receive some sort of scholly, of one size or another. Does that mean they are subject to being called out on their personal lives and decisions? Absurd. THE PLAYER's personal life is spilling over into football. The personal life is exewmpt from our discussion, IMO. Talk about his football, or not at all. Since he ain't playing, I say not at all is fine.

BTW, in case you were unaware, there are about 100 other players on the team as well, you know. I think this focus on one player by the press, etc. is one of our problems this year.

JugbandFrog

Instead of reading this forum and asking us to stop talking about the player, perhaps that person at TCU can find a way for us to be able to watch the game this weekend despite our CRAP TV deal the Mountain West is forcing us to live with.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(jugbandxmas @ Oct 4 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]55854[/snapback]
Instead of reading this forum and asking us to stop talking about the player, perhaps that person at TCU can find a way for us to be able to watch the game this weekend despite our CRAP TV deal the Mountain West is forcing us to live with.

Nevada or San Diego aren't that far from San Francisco, just go to Vegas for the weekend and watch the game there. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.