• The KillerFrogs

It's official: Big 10 to postpone, attempt to restart in spring

HG73

college football is kicking off this weekend. multiple conferences are playing. and that fact is already being thrown in the face of the biden camp today.
way to waste millions of ad dollars.
In states that will vote democrap anyway. So dumb.
Honestly, are these people that stupid? If the high schools play a successful season the lawsuits by local businesses against the Big10/PAC will drown them. Much worse than the few lawsuits by parents of players hospitalized or deceased. Financial suicide because they don't like Trump? Who already said publicly that they should play?

Last edited:

HG73

In the paid-by-the-word missive from the shyster, he essentially says "You can't look at our notes. You don't have standing. Besides, there's nothing there."
Methinks that 1.) The notes will come out months from now when it won't matter anymore, 2.) They will come out because a Court will rule that the kids do indeed have standing, in that the decision impacted them directly, and 3.) If there was nothing there, why would they be hiding everything and acting guilty as hell?

Warren and his Merry Band are nothing but a herd of lying scumbags.
And "How would you like it if someone went through YOUR (incriminating) notes?

HG73

True, but the overwhelming majority of scientists have agreed that it is a problem and that it does merit a response. The idea that the recommendations from the majority of epidemiologists is somehow a plot to make Trump look bad is what I was referring to.

If these epidemiologists were saying one thing and the Democrats were doing something else, then you'd have a valid complaint. But the Democrats are implementing what they're recommending. You can think that what the epidemiologists is recommending is unfeasible, but it's unlikely that their recommendations are a political plot.
What if the epidemiologists are democraps?

Eight

True, but the overwhelming majority of scientists have agreed that it is a problem and that it does merit a response. The idea that the recommendations from the majority of epidemiologists is somehow a plot to make Trump look bad is what I was referring to.

If these epidemiologists were saying one thing and the Democrats were doing something else, then you'd have a valid complaint. But the Democrats are implementing what they're recommending. You can think that what the epidemiologists is recommending is unfeasible, but it's unlikely that their recommendations are a political plot.

curious, where in the world has one of these theories actually worked out because we are now seeing new outbreaks in the areas we had been previously been told did everything properly while sweden did nothing and the usa scheissed it up

Last edited:

What Up Toad

curious, where in the world has one of these theories actually worked out because we are now seeing new outbreaks in the areas we had been previously been told did everything properly while sweden did nothing and the usa scheissed it up

It's worked to certain extents in most of the world. We're at about 13 new cases per 100,000 per day, while most of Europe is between 0-3.

If you want to look at Sweden, they have had almost 6,000 deaths with a population similar to Ohio. Ohio has had about 4,000 deaths. Georgia also has about the same population as Sweden and took a much more lax approach and has had about 5,500 deaths.

Sweden has a much lower population density (64 people per square mile) than Ohio (282.3 per square mile) and Georgia (182.9 per square mile). Sweden's population is also healthier (18.6% of the population is obese compared to 36.5% of Americans) and less likely to have unknown underlying health conditions because of their universal health care system.

Compare that response to Australia which didn't lock down their population, but did embrace testing early, had a unified response on what behaviors needed to change, and quarantined people arriving from overseas. Australia's population of 25 million has had about 600 deaths compared to Texas' 12,500 with a population of 29 million.

There also isn't a lot of evidence that Sweden is gaining herd immunity. The asymptomatic people didn't get sick enough to create enough antibodies to prevent them from getting sick again.

Eight

It's worked to certain extents in most of the world. We're at about 13 new cases per 100,000 per day, while most of Europe is between 0-3.

If you want to look at Sweden, they have had almost 6,000 deaths with a population similar to Ohio. Ohio has had about 4,000 deaths. Georgia also has about the same population as Sweden and took a much more lax approach and has had about 5,500 deaths.

Sweden has a much lower population density (64 people per square mile) than Ohio (282.3 per square mile) and Georgia (182.9 per square mile). Sweden's population is also healthier (18.6% of the population is obese compared to 36.5% of Americans) and less likely to have unknown underlying health conditions because of their universal health care system.

Compare that response to Australia which didn't lock down their population, but did embrace testing early, had a unified response on what behaviors needed to change, and quarantined people arriving from overseas. Australia's population of 25 million has had about 600 deaths compared to Texas' 12,500 with a population of 29 million.

There also isn't a lot of evidence that Sweden is gaining herd immunity. The asymptomatic people didn't get sick enough to create enough antibodies to prevent them from getting sick again.

australia is basically as self sustaining island so they and new zealand are different from almost everywhere else in the world

you point out to some variables that i do think make dealing with the covid in the us a bit more difficult as there is an incredibly wide range of population density in the states as well as differences in population, access to health care, lifestyle etc.. which is one reason why i did agree with empowering the governors to make decisions on behalf of their individual states

this country is just too big, the population too spread, to try to quarterback this thing from one location. perfect example is the cdc's early stance that all tests were to be sent to them in atlanta. flight time from seattle to atlanta is just under 5 hours and when you add in 3 time zones it basically was a work day to send samples that far too be tested.

there is no way you can convince me there wasn't a lab somewhere on the west coast that couldn't have handled the work, but the cdc wanted to control the process.

thing is with all this you still can't show me where a country has shut down the virus, everyone has had it, there has have deaths, there has been sickness, and when we compare different countries you don't find much difference in the success with the covid.

ShreveFrog

In states that will vote democrap anyway.

Trump won the ‘16 election in Big 10 country. He carried Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin and Nebraska. So yes, Dems need to flip them back to blue. And Minnesota is surprisingly up for grabs this election.

Wexahu

Over 25% of the deaths in Sweden have been people 90+ years old. I believe about 60% have been 80+. It’s a really old population. When people get really old, their chances of dying increase quite a bit.

Having said that, about 1 in 1,726 Swedes have died from COVID since March.

TCURiggs

@Wexahu is the stat guy in all of this, but isn't Sweden's population very old? If so, that's a big one to leave out since that's one of the biggest factors with COVID.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of European countries (and elsewhere in the world) have now passed Sweden in death's per capita. Some of the strict lockdown measures delayed the spread elsewhere, but they're catching up/passing them now.

Edit - Wex beat me to it

robbroyy

The risk was never about virus spreading 3.5 hours on Saturday. It was the cost of testing that happens 3 times a week for 150 members of the football team (coaches, staff, players, admin).

The reason the Big 10 has floated talks again is because of the new developments in testing this week. The new Abbott test is $5. For 150 people 3 times a week for 15 weeks (just the football season, not counting other sports and offseason) that would be $33,750. That’s a lot different than $100 per test which it has been up to now. That cost would be $675,000. Plus the heart tests that they have to do for guys like Max aren’t cheap.

It was getting in the millions of dollars. The G5 schools and FCS can’t afford it. The Big 10 and PAC 12 then got spooked by costs of defending lawsuits on top of that and said it’s not worth it.

With proper monitoring in place for complications like heart conditions as a result of the virus, like Max, there’s no more danger than any other year. But if schools are unwilling to pay for those extensive tests then yes I could see where people would agree it is too dangerous.

I don’t know for sure, so those involved with HS FB let me know, but it could be possible that extensive testing for HS athletes like heart, lungs, etc. has to come from the parents cost/insurance and not the school which would make it more feasible and reduce cost/liability. College athletes have access to school paying for all that.

Frog-in-law1995

The risk was never about virus spreading 3.5 hours on Saturday. It was the cost of testing that happens 3 times a week for 150 members of the football team (coaches, staff, players, admin).

The reason the Big 10 has floated talks again is because of the new developments in testing this week. The new Abbott test is $5. For 150 people 3 times a week for 15 weeks (just the football season, not counting other sports and offseason) that would be $33,750. That’s a lot different than $100 per test which it has been up to now. That cost would be $675,000. Plus the heart tests that they have to do for guys like Max aren’t cheap.

It was getting in the millions of dollars. The G5 schools and FCS can’t afford it. The Big 10 and PAC 12 then got spooked by costs of defending lawsuits on top of that and said it’s not worth it.

With proper monitoring in place for complications like heart conditions as a result of the virus, like Max, there’s no more danger than any other year. But if schools are unwilling to pay for those extensive tests then yes I could see where people would agree it is too dangerous.

I don’t know for sure, so those involved with HS FB let me know, but it could be possible that extensive testing for HS athletes like heart, lungs, etc. has to come from the parents cost/insurance and not the school which would make it more feasible and reduce cost/liability. College athletes have access to school paying for all that.

Big 10 schools gave up high 8- and low 9-figure annual football revenues because they couldn’t afford $700k on Covid testing?

robbroyy

OK, I’ll play. Then why didn’t the ACC, SEC, Big 12, American Athletic conference, Conference USA, Sun Belt, independents, and high schools reach the same conclusion?
That’s been the question going round on college sports talk shows for the last month. Some people are more afraid of a frivolous law suit culture than others. The ones that play figured there’s going to be nothing to warrant suing over so they’re playing.

I need help from the board on here in how costs work for HS. Are schools responsible for the preventative testing or does that fall on parents since kids are minors? In college it falls on schools which is why TCU has poured massive amounts of $ into this.

HFrog1999

That’s been the question going round on college sports talk shows for the last month. Some people are more afraid of a frivolous law suit culture than others. The ones that play figured there’s going to be nothing to warrant suing over so they’re playing.

I need help from the board on here in how costs work for HS. Are schools responsible for the preventative testing or does that fall on parents since kids are minors? In college it falls on schools which is why TCU has poured massive amounts of $ into this.

My son’s football team has been working out together all Summer. It really hasn’t been an issue at all. One kid in another sport was supposedly positive. They just shut down workouts for a week and everything was fine.