• The KillerFrogs

It's official: Big 10 to postpone, attempt to restart in spring

HG73

Yep. Why release your updated conference schedule then cancel your season six days later? Plenty of time to drag this out like the SEC, ACC and Big12. Why commit financial suicide when you can wait a little longer and support the other three P5 conferences instead of throwing them under the bus? Lots of questions here but very few answers from supposedly the smartest guys in the room.
PAC is a different story. Their liberal administration, faculty and government leaders don't care for football anyway and are doing everything they can to get rid of Donald Trump. If they bankrupt their schools and the surrounding communities then so be it. Nobody watches the PAC anyway since their games come on after everyone else has gone to bed. It's the weakest league financially, has the worst TV deal and the least interest of any P5 conference. This may be the last straw. Good riddance. Makes for a cleaner CFP anyway.

HG73

Yep. Why release your updated conference schedule then cancel your season six days later? Plenty of time to drag this out like the SEC, ACC and Big12. Why commit financial suicide when you can wait a little longer and support the other three P5 conferences instead of throwing them under the bus? Lots of questions here but very few answers from supposedly the smartest guys in the room.
PAC is a different story. Their liberal administration, faculty and government leaders don't care for football anyway and are doing everything they can to get rid of Donald Trump. If they bankrupt their schools and the surrounding communities then so be it. Nobody watches the PAC anyway since their games come on after everyone else has gone to bed. It's the weakest league financially, has the worst TV deal and the least interest of any P5 conference. This may be the last straw. Good riddance. Makes for a cleaner CFP anyway.
I just can't let this go. This may be the end of the PAC.

You know that the network suits are not going to sit still for this. No PAC football to broadcast? Why? Because the liberal west coast elite say so? Okay fine. How much can we pay to have the four Mountain time zone teams in the most logical place, the Big12? Can't dilute the Big12's per team share? Well those four teams will draw a lot more eyeballs playing Central time zone teams than Pacific time zone teams since their audience is still awake.

And those four teams will make still more money from their third tier rights that they aren't even getting now. What would the two Arizona teams make from the "Arizona Network?" What would Utar make? Makes sense for everyone.

And the liberal west coast teams can starve out there in the Pacific time zone all by themselves where nobody's watching them because everyone else has gone to bed. Then if they want to cancel their season again nobody will care.

HG73

Ho ho ho. Bet Kevin Warren's big plate of crow is about done. At 3pm today he'll be welcoming back those four teams with open arms and telling Illinois and Northwestern that they can opt out this year if they want. What fun it would be to listen in on that conference call. "WHO'S YOUR DADDY NOW?"

Imagine the conference call in the PAC? They don't have a Big10 network, they have the crappiest TV deal of all. Some of those teams are saying "Adios, muchachos. See you in the Central time zone."

TCUdirtbag

Why?

Pray, elaborate...

Do you seriously need this explained to you?

C9-FC0951-7-D18-4610-BCD9-5369-EB32252-D.jpg

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

This is a really bad take. Obviously the element that made campus “safer” is days (or less) from evaporating.

Still, no doubt the B1G and Pac pulled the plug way too quick.

This is a really bad take. There are multiple factors that make campus safer that would be amazingly obvious to anyone that wasn't attempting to shape this to fit their narrative....structure, accountability, available trainers/medical staff, consistent testing, the simple fact that the possibility of having a football season would give them motivation to be smart in their behavior.....

TCUdirtbag

This is a really bad take. There are multiple factors that make campus safer that would be amazingly obvious to anyone that wasn't attempting to shape this to fit their narrative....structure, accountability, available trainers/medical staff, consistent testing, the simple fact that the possibility of having a football season would give them motivation to be smart in their behavior.....

Nice try champ. While your post contains correct factors, they collectively pale in comparison to the fact these campuses were bubbles this summer and tens of thousands of 18-22 year olds are about to descend into those bubbles. Most of which don’t play football. Nearly all of whom are going to act dumb.

I want campuses open and sports just as much, if not more, than anyone as I have a vested professional/financial interest in both of those things happening. So you can project a “narrative” on my comments all you want because projection and being wrong are two things you excel at.

Minimizing the enormous effects of students descending on campuses this week is incredibly naive. We are marching into the unknown.

Moose Stuff

Nice try champ. While your post contains correct factors, they collectively pale in comparison to the fact these campuses were bubbles this summer and tens of thousands of 18-22 year olds are about to descend into those bubbles. Most of which don’t play football. Nearly all of whom are going to act dumb.

I want campuses open and sports just as much, if not more, than anyone as I have a vested professional/financial interest in both of those things happening. So you can project a “narrative” on my comments all you want because projection and being wrong are two things you excel at.

Minimizing the enormous effects of students descending on campuses this week is incredibly naive. We are marching into the unknown.

LMAO....I'm not sure that one word you just wrote has anything to do with football players being SAFER on campus than off campus.

Here's a question for you.... 25% of the team leaves, upon returning 9 of them test positive, how many of those 9 would have known they were carrying the virus had they not returned to campus and immediately been tested? Which scenario is SAFER.... being home with your family/friends while you unknowingly spread the virus or being at school knowing you have the virus and isolating from everyone with medical staff available to help you if needed???

HG73

Wow. It's 52 Pick Up in College Football!
Nah, just a power play in the Big10. Big dogs just showing the new commissioner who really has the hammer. Nobody's going anywhere.

Now when the PAC finally wakes up today, that may be a different story.

TCUdirtbag

LMAO....I'm not sure that one word you just wrote has anything to do with football players being SAFER on campus than off campus.

Here's a question for you.... 25% of the team leaves, upon returning 9 of them test positive, how many of those 9 would have known they were carrying the virus had they not returned to campus and immediately been tested? Which scenario is SAFER.... being home with your family/friends while you unknowingly spread the virus or being at school knowing you have the virus and isolating from everyone with medical staff available to help you if needed???

Dear god you have completely lost the thread. I never disputed that student athletes who *are* sick have better resources on campus than off. I clearly disputed the bad take that they’re less likely to *get sick* on campus than off.

Your beloved Clay Travis tweet:
Look, 9 players that went home got it. None that stayed on campus got it. Campus is safer

Me:
This take has a serious flaw

You:
Throws a temper tantrum, projects some [ Finebaum ]. Talks about mitigation factors while ignoring the key part about the campus environment completely changing.

Me:
Stop being naive. Those are mitigating factors yes, but you’ve lost the thread because the student athletes are going to now be surrounded by tens of thousands of kids without those resources.

You:
Hold my beer. I can go completely off topic.

Look. For everyone else being reasonable. The point is every college administrator is terrified about the spread over the next 6 weeks. It’s a complete unknown. The only known is it’s going to spread like wildfire no matter what steps they take. And yes it will reach the athletes. Do colleges have the stomach to push through it? We don’t know. For a while, some will. What happens when one campus has a bunch of students get really sick all at once? Or god forbid a student dies?

Athletics and athletes are not insulated from the campus at large. Thinking otherwise is pointless willful naïveté. No one knows how the next 6 weeks are going to go. There’s no need to pretend everything is going to be fine when the reality is we have know clue and it could easily all crumble around us. In fact acknowledging the complexity is better to prepare us for the reality of what we’re headed into.

Last edited: