• The KillerFrogs

it was just spring practice and these are just words, but damn good words to hear.....247 coach interviews

Eight

we all know that the pimp of 247 is moose and i am not angling for the job. heck if it isn't free i am not reading from me, but i also won't pay for espn+ because scheiss the mouse

all that aside, great job by jeremy with the interviews with sonny, and yes, the dc and not after the defense got prison raped in a game

here are the links:

one thing sonny said that leaped out to me and some here might find of interest:

On whether he expects there to be a lot of turnover with players entering the portal…

“I don't, but you know that's college football these days. I think we have a good culture, I think your guys are excited about the future and I think they know we got a lot of work to do, but I think that's important to maintaining to be able to keep a roster together is the way the players feel about not only themselves but just the overall program. So, I think we're pretty good place, but you know how it is, these are young kids and sometimes people get in their ear and talk to them a little bit and at the end of the day they have to do what they think is best for them and we’ll always support them doing that but I'm hoping we can keep our roster together and we will go out and try to add a couple of guys to make us better.”

as far as gillespie, i have no idea how this works out when the games start counting but holy [ Finebaum ] does he get it:

What’s the pitch for kids he’s bringing into the program…

“This has always been the pitch no matter where; number one you got to build the relationships and that's wherever you’re at. But when you start talking about, let's talk about the Metroplex and Fort Worth in particular and what this community and city can bring and then what this university does for the city and what it can do for you and not just set you up from a football standpoint but from a life standpoint. And then obviously, just a top notch education. You’re talking about the average student to teacher ratio I think it's like 15-to-1 or something like that so now you’re talking about it very personalized one-on-one, hands on, top education. And then you go play in a Power 5, Big 12 and this is going to be a championship caliber team because you're going to play at the highest level that you can play at against the biggest opponents you can play. I don’t know what more I’d want outside of that and then you’re going to get coached really hard and loved really hard and we’re going to build great relationships with it."

Any players that stepped up…

“There’s always a few guys, the ones that I always lean on and it's because of the style of defense we run is d-line. I'm going to tell you, these guys, we’re asking some guys to do some things that were vastly different than what they were doing; not that one is better than the other, I'm just saying there was just vastly different from what they had been doing and those guys embraced it. When they did that you could see every day that we stepped out there, them starting to figure it out more and more. So really, I'm just going to talk about the d-line as a unit #1. You could sit there and talk about the Dylan Horton’s, Terrell Cooper, Soni Misi, Colt Ellison, Dom Williams and then obviously there were some other guys. Dee Winters had a phenomenal spring, Marcel Brooks had a really good spring, Johnny Hodges the transfer that came in was having a great spring. The we got healed up on the back end a little bit and some guys really started coming out; Bud Clark, Nook Bradford; obviously we love Tre Tomlinson. I mean the list can go on and on really.”

On Colt Ellison having a good spring…

“Every day, every day. He stood out quite a bit. He was a little bit nervous ‘hey are you going to stick me down in here and take on doubles all the time’ and now he’s started to understand how we’re going to utilize him and utilize his quickness. We’re not just going to stick you down there and make you do those things. You’ve got a huge role in this defense and Colt has really started buying into that and grasping it and understanding it. The more he does that the bigger the production will happen.”

On what he likes about Soni Misi…

“Soni has a bunch of explosiveness. Obviously, he’s a thick young man from the waist down so that is perfect image of what we want in a nose. The nose is going to demand the doubles. He started learning in the last within the last 10 days, he started learning how to play with more base in his leverage. Now that he has that, the guy is as strong as all get out. Now, he's going to be able to shoot those hips and use his explosiveness; that's what's going to take him to the next level."

hope these kids go to work the next three months because i think there is hope