• The KillerFrogs

ISU Leftfielder Has A Sense Of Humor

froginmn

If the batter would have left the base path ... it is an out?
IIRC there is a rule about intentional deception of that nature (but allows hidden ball trick). That would give the umpire a chance to rectify it...

Edit: probably more likely that the umpire would reverse his call and rectify what happened as the result of a mistaken call.

Last edited:

FrogBall09

If the batter would have left the base path ... it is an out?
no because you can't simulate a fake play in baseball that makes an opposing player change their execution - for example you can't fake catching a ball at 3B to force a player to slide so they don't turn for home when the throw is not coming to you - it is considered interference (hidden ball trick aside- which is a long time controversy)

so in theory when he acted like he had caught it - if the hitter had given up and returned to the dug out - it still would have been ruled a HR

froginmn

no because you can't simulate a fake play in baseball that makes an opposing player change their execution - for example you can't fake catching a ball at 3B to force a player to slide so they don't turn for home when the throw is not coming to you - it is considered interference (hidden ball trick aside- which is a long time controversy)

so in theory when he acted like he had caught it - if the hitter had given up and returned to the dug out - it still would have been ruled a HR
My understanding of that rule is that forcing a slide is the part that causes the obstruction call, whereas other fake plays (like Knoblauch's "catch") aren't covered under the same rule.

Like I said I thought there was another rule that might cover this but I'm not 100% sure.

We need an experienced ump on this forum.

Good info. Thx but what about that MLB bloke (cannot remember his name) that “caught” a foul ball for an out but instead took it from the fan. Ump called it out and aftr learning abt it did not reverse the call.

In other words - is the rule cut and dry or is it loosy goosy?

Edit: I guess the ump did not know.

So chuck knoblauch deking Lonnie smith at second in the 91 bravos v twinkies series was an illegal play? Still pisses me off (even more now) 30+ years later. Glad he got the yips.