• The KillerFrogs

Is this team better than the 2014 team?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Waiting GIF
Here's a hint - they'd find a way to win.

Wexahu

It's Mallet's fault. Should have never scored. (Sarcasm).
In hindsight, would have been much better if he fell down at the 20. Run a few more plays, burn some clock, and either get a TD or at worst a FG.

Scoring too fast happens a lot in football. That was one of those times.

2014 probably better.

QB- Boykin gets the edge.
RB- Kendre probably better than 2014.
Outside WR- Listenbee edged out by Johnston
Outside WR- Doctson over Savion
TE- Push
Slots- 2022 over 2014
OL - 2014 at most spots
CB- 2014 but close
S- Tossup
LB's - 2014
DE's - 2014, they could also go big with Lathan & guys like Tuaua could shift into B gap if they had to.
DT's - 2014 were more active, 2022 better at 2 gapping.

Better schedule in 14'.

Baylor light years better in 14'
KSU pretty similar each year but 14 probably better IMO.
WVU 14 much better than 22 WVU
OU 14 better than 22 OU
Minnesota better than 2022 SMU
OSU 14 finished almost the same as 22 OSU despite playing a playoff team in non-con & both lost QB's to injury.
2022 Colorado and 2014 SMU is a push
22 KU much better
22 UT much better
ISU 22 much better than 14 ISU

Bowl matchups pending that's 5 of 10 better in 2014 and only 3 clearly better in 2022.

Top opponents:
2014: Baylor, KSU, Minnesota, OU, WVU
2022: KSU, UT, and ???
Even if we grant KSU twice it's still not the same for the next two as pre-QB injury OU or pre-QB injury WVU which killed those won/loss records and playoff rankings. Who's the next best for 2022? Tech, BU, OSU, KU? Not easy but probably a step down from the two I mentioned.

2014 was more impressive to me.

2010 probably the most nostalgic but probably not as good head to head although it has the best QB and a couple of the best OL with some standouts like Maponga, Carder, Tejay, Kerley, and others.

Wexahu

2014 probably better.

TE- Push
Slots- 2022 over 2014
OL - 2014 at most spots
CB- 2014 but close
S- Tossup
LB's - 2014
DE's - 2014, they could also go big with Lathan & guys like Tuaua could shift into B gap if they had to.

Better schedule in 14'.

OU 14 better than 22 OU
OSU 14 finished almost the same as 22 OSU despite playing a playoff team in non-con & both lost QB's to injury.
22 KU much better
22 UT much better

Bowl matchups pending that's 5 of 10 better in 2014 and only 3 clearly better in 2022.

Top opponents:
Even if we grant KSU twice it's still not the same for the next two as pre-QB injury OU or pre-QB injury WVU which killed those won/loss records and playoff rankings. Who's the next best for 2022? Tech, BU, OSU, KU? Not easy but probably a step down from the two I mentioned.

2010 probably the most nostalgic but probably not as good head to head although it has the best QB and a couple of the best OL with some standouts like Maponga, Carder, Tejay, Kerley, and others.
Our CBs this year are better than '14. Wiley is a better weapon than the '14 TE, and I think the OL is on a par. Two first-team all Big 12 this year.

And I think the schedule this year might be stronger overall than '14.

Baylor was definitely much better then, but "light years"? I don't know about that. This year's Baylor is still decent.
WVU was better, but not much better
OU was maybe a little better, but not by much
Not much difference between Minny & SMU IMO
KSU this year just as good as '14 IMO. Maybe even a little better.
ISU and UT much better, and better.
TT, better this year

PineyWoodsFrog

2014 was a very good team. We should have been in the playoffs, and I think we could have beat any team, including Ohio State. After that year there was a few time with Boykin when it looked like we might be able to make the playoffs, but we just couldn't get it done. There's not a doubt 2014 was the best team we had in that era.

It's looking like we are a lock this year, assuming we don't get blown out by K State. Do y'all think this team is better than 2014?
No

Turnovers—large variance—the 2014 defense assisted the offense whereas the 2022 offense assisted the defense.

The 2014 defense collected 26 interceptions and recovered 14 fumbles (40 total in 13 games—crazy good). Maybe that TCU defense put more emphasis on stripping balls. And I will guess that defense had more “3 and outs” than 2022. The 2014 defense was great at getting the ball back for the offense. Meanwhile, the offense surrendered 11 picks and 11 fumbles (22 total). The 2014 defense made that offense better, even bailed them out some because coughing the ball up 22 times in 13 games is not ideal.

This 2022 team is the opposite—the offense has been kind to the 2022 defense in that it has not turned the ball over. The offense has assisted the defense. The offense has thrown only 3 picks and lost only 5 fumbles (8 total—crazy good). Meanwhile the defense has 18 total picks and fumble recoveries—only 4 fumble recoveries this year (tied at 116th of 131 teams), but 14 interceptions (tied for 15th best).

Some might say an eye-popping difference between the two teams.

Last edited:

Eight

Turnovers—large variance—the 2014 defense assisted the offense whereas the 2022 offense assisted the defense.

The 2014 defense collected 26 interceptions and recovered 14 fumbles (40 total in 13 games—crazy good). Maybe that TCU defense put more emphasis on stripping balls. And I will guess that defense had more “3 and outs” than 2022. The 2014 defense was great at getting the ball back for the offense. Meanwhile, the offense surrendered 11 picks and 11 fumbles (22 total). The 2014 defense made that offense better, even bailed them out some because coughing the ball up 22 times in 13 games is not ideal.

This 2022 team is the opposite—the offense has been kind to the 2022 defense in that it has not turned the ball over. The offense has assisted the defense. The offense has thrown only 3 picks and lost only 5 fumbles (8 total—crazy good). Meanwhile the defense has 18 total picks and fumble recoveries—only 4 fumble recoveries this year (tied at 116th of 131 teams), but 14 interceptions (tied for 15th best).

Some might say an eye-popping difference between the two teams.

not only turnovers, that group excelled in negative plays. mallet and dawson put up insane numbers for tfl's and sacks, think the number was over 30 between them along with the efforts of the defensive front

Planks

2014 probably better.

TE- Push
Slots- 2022 over 2014
OL - 2014 at most spots
CB- 2014 but close
S- Tossup
LB's - 2014

Better schedule in 14'.

OU 14 better than 22 OU
22 KU much better
22 UT much better

Top opponents:

I feel like the 2022 Kansas State with Howard and Vaughn is way better than 2014. I don’t remember the 2014 Kansas State team 48-0’ing good teams.

2014 Kansas State was a good team, but 2022 Kansas State is dangerous.

Wexahu

I feel like the 2022 Kansas State with Howard and Vaughn is way better than 2014. I don’t remember the 2014 Kansas State team 48-0’ing good teams.

2014 Kansas State was a good team, but 2022 Kansas State is dangerous.
Kansas State was the best team we beat in 2014. FWIW.

Planks

Kansas State was the best team we beat in 2014. FWIW.

Agreed, but I also don’t remember 2014 Kansas State really being much of a challenge for 2014 TCU. From start to finish of that game TCU was way better, never really in doubt.

I would not be worried if it was 2014 TCU vs 2014 Kansas State this weekend.

froginmn

Our CBs this year are better than '14. Wiley is a better weapon than the '14 TE, and I think the OL is on a par. Two first-team all Big 12 this year.

LOL 2014 Minnesota lost by 7 to tOSU. That's a big difference from SMU.

Baylor was definitely much better then, but "light years"? I don't know about that. This year's Baylor is still decent.
WVU was better, but not much better
OU was maybe a little better, but not by much
KSU this year just as good as '14 IMO. Maybe even a little better.
ISU and UT much better, and better.
TT, better this year
Laughable on some of your points.

Baylor was better defensively in 14' and the offense isnt even close for them.
WVU was similar but better on O in 22' vs 14 before Trickett went down and was one of the worst defenses nationally in 2022 after being a good defense in 2014. Total package isn't close.
OU was MUCH better- until Knight went down and the backup QB lost to Pokes. Both had good offenses- only one played D.
KSU this year is on par. Some high points but the loss to Tulane and almost losing to ISU are marks against.