• The KillerFrogs

Is this team better than the 2014 team?

Cougar/Frog

What makes this year different is I'd say it seems the character makeup of this group is similar to 2010, with selfless and high-IQ players all over the roster, but the talent is more in line with what 2014 had, with playmakers all over.

The reason I'm excited and optimistic about this year is we have the talent of 2014, but the character/toughness/leadership/selflessness of 2010, and talent of 2014 + character of 2010 is a great combination.
Good analysis. 2010 had huge heart and humility and teamwork and character.

Cougar/Frog

2014 didn't win 8 games by 10 points or less, nor did they have to come from behind in multiple games to win.

If we are playing fantasy-time-loop, 2014 wins and it's probably a beat down, too.

Again, 2014 blew a huge lead in the 4th quarter. It is a permanent black mark. Great teams don't do that. 2014 was a very good team but it failed in the most crucial time.

2014 would go up 3 TDs and lose in the final minute to this team. 2014 lacked the heart of 2010 or this year.

And this team is better conditioned than 2014.

As of now, I like 2010 the best, but this team may be the best when the season is over.

CountryFrog

I don't really give a [ Finebaum ] which team is/was better. It's pretty much a matter of personal preference more than anything else. I will say though that when looking back on the 2014 team I think that a lot of people have 2015 Boykin and Doctson in their memories. Those two guys were clearly great in 2014 but they were elite in 2015 and only injuries stopped them from being even more productive. Doctson went from being really good to probably the best WR in the country from 14 to 15. And Boykin was much more consistent in 15 imo and took better care of the ball.

If only the defense in 2015 hadn't been so bad we may have been 12-0 that year.

Sebastian S

I’ll wait to pass judgement because we aren’t done yet.

This team has something special/epic going on with a very real shot at the playoffs.

Something 2010 and 2014(unfortunately) didn’t get a shot at.

Dtx_Frog_Fan

I don't really give a [ Finebaum ] which team is/was better. It's pretty much a matter of personal preference more than anything else. I will say though that when looking back on the 2014 team I think that a lot of people have 2015 Boykin and Doctson in their memories. Those two guys were clearly great in 2014 but they were elite in 2015 and only injuries stopped them from being even more productive. Doctson went from being really good to probably the best WR in the country from 14 to 15. And Boykin was much more consistent in 15 imo and took better care of the ball.

If only the defense in 2015 hadn't been so bad we may have been 12-0 that year.
2015 defense was 4th in the big 12 in total defense and 3rd in scoring. Definitely a long way from what we were used to but this year’s defense is 4th in conference in scoring and 5th in total defense albeit giving up slightly feet yards compared to 2015.

I’d consider them a wash but have to give Gary lots of props considering the rash of injuries in 2015 on that side of the ball.

CountryFrog

2015 defense was 4th in the big 12 in total defense and 3rd in scoring. Definitely a long way from what we were used to but this year’s defense is 4th in conference in scoring and 5th in total defense albeit giving up slightly feet yards compared to 2015.

I’d consider them a wash but have to give Gary lots of props considering the rash of injuries in 2015 on that side of the ball.
Gary was a master of being able to totally smother offenses that had inferior talent. That's certainly to his credit but it did occasionally inflate some of those rankings. I remember that 2015 defense getting smoked by SMU, K-State, Tech, OK St, and also the 1st halves of the OU and Oregon games before their QBs got hurt. That was not a good defense.

Injuries were certainly a big part of that season on both sides of the ball though so it wasn't totally the fault of the team and coaches.

Eight

The conference point differential in 2014 was 205, whereas this years is 127. However, the Big XII is top to bottom much better this year.

the biggest problem when you do the point comparison all things aren't the same

consider that in 2014 very few teams truly knew how to defend the HUNH offenses, heck gary struggled with it because the frogs didn't have the depth in the secondary or the defensive line that early in the season

now, a number of teams in the big 12 play some variation of the 3-3-5 and no matter how many short passes you complete they are not going to let you have the deep throws

do think the defense for the 2014 is better overall talent and a big plus for them is they were recruited and trained in that defense unlike this year's group

tcufrogprince1

Just keep winning and taking scalps. Id argue all the teams were equally the best and just didn't get their fair shot. Its a moot point now though.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I can't tell you which will be remembered as "better", but I'm pretty sure I could tell you which one would win if they could play each other in some beautiful simulation.

Horny4TCU

I can't tell you which will be remembered as "better", but I'm pretty sure I could tell you which one would win if they could play each other in some beautiful simulation.
Waiting GIF

NewFrogFan

Again, 2014 blew a huge lead in the 4th quarter. It is a permanent black mark. Great teams don't do that. 2014 was a very good team but it failed in the most crucial time.

2014 would go up 3 TDs and lose in the final minute to this team. 2014 lacked the heart of 2010 or this year.

And this team is better conditioned than 2014.

As of now, I like 2010 the best, but this team may be the best when the season is over.
TCU did little to nothing to sit on that lead in the 4th quarter. I have never seen a worse “I’m lost” look on GP’s face.
As I remember we had a couple of series that lasted like 45 seconds!