• The KillerFrogs

Is this team better than the 2014 team?

LVH

2014 had an elite tier defensive line that, when they were on, was absolutely incredible. That unit was special. The defense in terms of ability was ahead of what the 2022 team has. I think the 2022 team is more balanced on offense.

webb3201

This year, we finally have a running back that we can depend on. IT makes all the difference and is ultimately why I put this team at the top…..which could also be a vote for coaching.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
That is almost like a different era at this point. Same with the 2010 team. Different variables.

What we do know is this program had talent and poor coaching/leadership.

Planks

Did not lose to Baylor.

Same question was asked about the 2014 team vs the Rose Bowl team. The Rose bowl players said "we did not lose to Baylor."

Well in fairness to the 2014 TCU team, that 2014 Baylor team was head and shoulders better than any opponent that the 2022 TCU or 2010 TCU teams had to face.

I think the 2010 TCU team probably beats 2014 Baylor, but I’m unconvinced 2022 TCU could have beaten 2014 Baylor.

Endless Purple

I think both are championship caliber teams and could (or could have won) win it all.

I also think 2014 team would beat 2022 team if it was possible to match them up across some space / time continuum.

HornyWartyToad

2014 had better players. 2022 has better coaches.
Not so fast. Agree on coaching, but not necessarily on players. Some positions yes- I'm thinking 2014 had some more high-end OL players. But this group plays very well as a unit, too.
QB? 2014 was probably more physically talented, but I wouldn't say better than Max. Probably a push.
Receivers? This group much better, especially if you include the TEs.
Running backs? This group much better.
DL? I'd say push, neither group had really big "star" players, but both groups have flashed dominance.
LBs? I'd probably give it to the 2014 bunch, but not by a ton.
DBs? Has to be a push, although I'd lean toward this group, because it just feels like the overall WR play in the B12 is great across the board now, even among the low end of the conference, and these guys have stood up to the test time and again.
Special teams? Again a push- Jaden was consistently a star. Can't remember who the returner was in that group, but can't imagine they were better than DD. Sandy has been outstanding.
Overall team chemistry? This group, hands down and it's not close. The 2014 team had an offense that scored a ton because the defenses hadn't caught up to the HUNH yet. Today's team plays for each other because they have so many great leaders on the team who are all about lifting one another up.

Planks

2010 was the best in my book.

Is it possible the 2009 team, once they hit full cylinder, was better than the 2010 team?

Mostly the same players, but the 2009 team had the benefit of Newhouse on the O line, two senior corners in Priest and Sanders, and most importantly Jerry Hughes and Daryl Washington. Hughes is a multiple time NFL probowler, and Washington was on his way to being the best linebacker in the NFL before running in to legal trouble.

Yeah I know the 2009 team lost the Fiesta Bowl to Boise State, but I almost feel like you have to throw that game out when evaluating them, just due to the disappointing nature of the match up. Just like if 2022 TCU ends up losing the Cotton Bowl to UCF, I’ll throw that game out the window as well when evaluating this years TCU team.

Cougar/Frog

Is it possible the 2009 team, once they hit full cylinder, was better than the 2010 team?

Mostly the same players, but the 2009 team had the benefit of Newhouse on the O line, two senior corners in Priest and Sanders, and most importantly Jerry Hughes and Daryl Washington. Hughes is a multiple time NFL probowler, and Washington was on his way to being the best linebacker in the NFL before running in to legal trouble.

Yeah I know the 2009 team lost the Fiesta Bowl to Boise State, but I almost feel like you have to throw that game out when evaluating them, just due to the disappointing nature of the match up. Just like if 2022 TCU ends up losing the Cotton Bowl to UCF, I’ll throw that game out the window as well when evaluating this years TCU team.
I really liked the 09 team. They got screwed by the BCS. They could have beaten the big boys. Half the team was also sick with the flu or recovering besides not taking Boise seriously. There was also the headset issue.

But losing is losing. Like the 2014 team, the 09 team had a black mark for under performing in one game. Andy didn't need to throw into triple coverage at the end of the game.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I really liked the 09 team. They got screwed by the BCS. They could have beaten the big boys. Half the team was also sick with the flu or recovering besides not taking Boise seriously. There was also the headset issue.

But losing is losing. Like the 2014 team, the 09 team had a black mark for under performing in one game. Andy didn't need to throw into triple coverage at the end of the game.
I didn't know that a hangover was a flu symptom...