• The KillerFrogs

Is SMU really a rival?

SnoSki

Please answer with yes or no, and also the years you attended TCU (or would have if you attended).

I suspect that the dividing line between the yes and no crowds will be whether they attended TCU before 2000 or after.

My answer: no and 2005-2009. Cant think of anyone my age off hand who thinks of SMU as a rival in the same way they see Baylor.

Just curious to see the replies.

steelfrog

Tier 1
1990 graduated.

Yes as to SMU and HELL NO as to Baylor. Baylor is a Johnny come lately and was relevant for what, 5 years? Flash in the pan.

The real rival is UT -- most hated team and fanbase and school.

Horned Toad

Mid 80’s. A rivalry is where you hate the other team so much you can’t sleep the night after a loss. You keep waking up saying dammit to yourself and are in a funk the entire next day. That’s how I feel after this loss and how I’d feel if we lost to Baylor. I can’t say I hate SMU but I damn sure did yesterday. And one of the best beers I’ve ever had was after the cold rain game we won a few years back so I’d have to yes and yes on Baylor.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
No. Beating your rival has to mean something. Only downside for TCU in this matchup.

The DMN headline that called it a monumental win for SMU says it all. There is never going to be a time again where TCU beating them is considered monumental.

Horny4TCU

Yes, '05-'09.

It's tradition that is partly what makes college football so much fun. They were in the ol' SW Conference days. Then their fans seem to keep thinking it is, so they make it hard to forget when we do play them and lose... Plus I remember them spray painting the field with Pony Up.

count frogula

Yes, 1976-1981
I'm glad we play them and think we should continue to play them, if for no other reason than it's an easy away game.
TCU 83-88. I think we’ve played SMU 99 times, it used to be a big deal, crosstown rivals, competing cities and religious affiliations and the skillet makes for a good rivalry narrative. However, it has lost its luster since they got the death penalty, so NO, no longer a rival.

westoverhillbilly

It is a rivalry for SMU but not TCU.. Like someone stated above, it has to be dual sided, so the answer is no. Unfortunately, the game has only had national importance a couple of times and those were more than 60 years ago..

TCU_backer

No. 1999-2003

This is a series that should go away. I would like for us to rekindle some of the MWC games (Utah, Colorado State, Air Force etc.).

Froggish

No....Despite our human nature to long for nostalgia, the truth is that rivalries just like relationships change....When you have to manufacture hate or sit around trying to rack your brain to remember the details of why someone or some thing sucks..Well it’s not really that important