• The KillerFrogs

Is Max or Morris starting at QB next week vs. OU?

CountryFrog

McCarthy has more completions in fewer tries and more yards. Stroud has double the yards, more completions than Max has attempts, a third of the sacks, and double the touchdowns.

And we all saw how DD's 80-yard touchdown was a jet sweep, but because it went "forward" it counts as a pass play.

Max has more heart than just about any other three Frogs combined, and he is probably my favorite Frog to put on a helmet in the past 5 years, but I'm under no illusions that he's the best qb in the nation. Something about "Lies, damn lies, and statistics" comes to mind.

**edited to say, all that being said, yes Mad Max is our QB until he loses the spot, because Morris showed me nothing until he unfortunately got hurt.
I'm pretty sure that no one on the planet is attempting to make the argument that Max is the best QB in college football.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
You are going to bench the guy who is No. 1 in the nation in passing efficiency at 216.03 and is third in the nation in completion percentage at .770?

I think not.

Go Max!

FrogCop19

I'm pretty sure that no one on the planet is attempting to make the argument that Max is the best QB in college football.
Well there is the chart further up-thread that says he has the #1 QB rating in the nation, but like I said, "Lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
agree completely that max is playing much more relaxed and not trying to force things, but once again, why do you play a guy who has barely played all season now that the games count so to speak.
I was a proponent of giving Morris the nod to begin this year. I thought his quicker release gave him a slim edge over Duggan. With Morris injured and not 100% and Max playing the best football of his career I agree. Go with Duggan.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Well there is the chart further up-thread that says he has the #1 QB rating in the nation, but like I said, "Lies, damn lies, and statistics."
Which stat do you want to go by? He is No. 1 nationally in passing efficiency. Third in completion percentage.

CountryFrog

Ok, but anyone with a working brain and even the slightest understanding of sports understands that rankings based only on statistics are highly flawed.

I'm sure that the person who posted that was not attempting to say hey look everyone Max is now the best player in college football. We still have a faction of people who for whatever reason don't even think the guy is worthy of being a D1 starter and yet he's somehow leading the nation in passer rating. That obviously doesn't mean he's the best passer in the nation and I don't think there's a chance in hell that he'll still be in that spot in November but I think it's decent validation that he's played really well so far this season despite the fact that it would be nice if he'd only allowed himself to be sacked 3 times this season instead of 6.

There's such a weird dynamic around Max where anything ever said about him in a positive light immediately has to be contradicted by someone else pointing out all his flaws and vice versa. Why can't we just recognize that the guy has played a great 2 and a half games so far and see what happens moving forward? Instead we've got people picking apart every single thing he's done that isn't good and other people talking about how "excited" all the players are when he's out there. He obviously has some flaws and who knows maybe this is the last game he ever starts but RIGHT NOW he's playing damn good football and should be commended for it.

CardFrog

Granted this is a QB string and I lean toward Max I also don't want to see Max run too much as that invites injury(ies) so a steady dose of Miller and Demercardo with Max running will do nicely. I think OU is beatable and not because they lost to KSU, they just aren't as good as in years past. TCU will definitely need to play better than they did against SMU to win this one. TCU 34-OU 31

Eight

Ok, but anyone with a working brain and even the slightest understanding of sports understands that rankings based only on statistics are highly flawed.

I'm sure that the person who posted that was not attempting to say hey look everyone Max is now the best player in college football. We still have a faction of people who for whatever reason don't even think the guy is worthy of being a D1 starter and yet he's somehow leading the nation in passer rating. That obviously doesn't mean he's the best passer in the nation and I don't think there's a chance in hell that he'll still be in that spot in November but I think it's decent validation that he's played really well so far this season despite the fact that it would be nice if he'd only allowed himself to be sacked 3 times this season instead of 6.

There's such a weird dynamic around Max where anything ever said about him in a positive light immediately has to be contradicted by someone else pointing out all his flaws and vice versa. Why can't we just recognize that the guy has played a great 2 and a half games so far and see what happens moving forward? Instead we've got people picking apart every single thing he's done that isn't good and other people talking about how "excited" all the players are when he's out there. He obviously has some flaws and who knows maybe this is the last game he ever starts but RIGHT NOW he's playing damn good football and should be commended for it.

agree, max is who he is and all he has done for the last 10 quarters is effectively run this offense

sure there are those who want to focus on what he could do better or plays he has left on the field, but there comes a point where could be gives way to what actually is and one big key i always have thought in quality coaching is putting your players in positions that are the best situation to succeed and not try to force them into a system

the next three games are going to go a long way to determining what type of season this team is going to have this year and for the frogs to go say, 2-1 or better they are going to need productive, effective quarterback play and i haven't seen anything from max the last 10 quarters that would indicate with how he is playing he can't be that player

if some want to worry what might happen or if max "reverts back' so be it, but seems to they are missing some damn good offensive football in a season that is roughly already 20-25% over

CountryFrog

And to be clear before someone comes back at me on it, Max is clearly not above reproach or unable to be criticized. Every single player on the team has made mistakes and has some areas where they can improve. So pointing out things that Max doesn't do well is one thing but when the compulsion some have to constantly criticize the guy even in the midst of him playing so well is just weird. Let's wait until he actually plays poorly to start complaining about his poor play.

Until then, as far as the offense is concerned, I'd be much more inclined to discuss where the hell Quentin Johnston has been in this offense and will we finally see Kendre Miller get a 25-30 carries workload this week along with some concerns with the OL consistency.

FrogCop19

Ok, maybe I'm not being clear, but I'm pretty sure you and I are on the same side, here.

I've said in this thread alone on about four different occasions that I love Max, that he's my choice for quarterback, and that he has shown massive improvements in his passing game. Yes he has flaws (as you said), and my statement of "Do I think he's the #1 QB in the nation? No." was based off the efficiency chart someone posted but, once again, I agreed with you that he's not the best. He's an AMAZING Frog, a purple warrior through and through, and my favorite to put on the purple in the past 5-10 years.

So I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that I'm bashing him OR putting him up on a pedestal.

***Edited to add the bold and italicized statement in your quote is summed up by my "Lies/damn lies/statistics" quote. It means that anyone can prove anything using statistics, good or bad. So once again, you and I are arguing the same position.

Last edited: