• The KillerFrogs

Is Max or Morris starting at QB next week vs. OU?

TCUWIN

I can see where the coaches might give Chandler a series n the first half and one in the second half, but it needs to be Max at QB. Just the way he runs, he tends to take some big hits. I think Morris needs some time to get over the crappy first half he had against Colorado in case he has to play for an injured Max. And I’d still like to see a package using Sam too. Too good of an athlete not to be on the field…just not sure which athlete you take off the field.

FrogCop19

So weird, it's like the Kenny Hill dynamic. No matter how good he became (and in 2017 he was very good) Max is never going to be good enough to some people.
Agreed. I know it sounds like I was bashing Max in that post, but I wasn't. It was more the stats I was commenting on.

Max is my dude for sure. This past game he showed me a LOT in terms of improved accuracy. He still held onto the ball too long (in my fat-ass 48-year old armchair qb opinion), but now he seems less likely to take off and run. I hope they haven't beaten that option out of his head, because I don't know that there's a better QB in the nation that has the top speed and toughness he does when he's in the open. I also don't know if it was me or what, but several times when he took off to run he slipped and fell. Anybody else see that?

AroundWorldFrog

Agreed. I know it sounds like I was bashing Max in that post, but I wasn't. It was more the stats I was commenting on.

Max is my dude for sure. This past game he showed me a LOT in terms of improved accuracy. He still held onto the ball too long (in my fat-ass 48-year old armchair qb opinion), but now he seems less likely to take off and run. I hope they haven't beaten that option out of his head, because I don't know that there's a better QB in the nation that has the top speed and toughness he does when he's in the open. I also don't know if it was me or what, but several times when he took off to run he slipped and fell. Anybody else see that?
I wonder what Max could look like if he had a true QB coach for the last three years instead of a dysfunctional, offense hating coach.

Deep Purple

Not if we don’t run the damn ball up the middle. I don’t get why that is so hard for TCU coordinators to figure out.
Because they understand that to precommit to a one-dimnensional offensive strategy flirts with disaster. Best approach is to stay flexible and take what the defense gives you. If they flood the passing zones with defenders, then "run the damn ball." If they stack the box, take advantage of the loosened coverage by throwing the ball. Keep doing whatever is successful until it's no longer successful. But first, force the defense to stop it. Don't make their job easier by adopting tunnel-vision.

Eight

still trying to understand why some believe a second and third quarterback should get a series or two in what could be a very difficult game

max isn't perfect, but he has gotten much better and those sacks yesterday weren't all on him. more than once the defensive end was pressuring him before a 3 count which can't happen, especially when the frogs are 5 wide and running deep and crossing routes that take some time

additionally, the third quarter wasn't on max. that was riley's play calling and some penalties that took them out of 2nd and medium distances

Last edited:

East Coast

Tier 1
Yes, see that's why they have a QBR that takes all of that into account. Max has the third highest completion percentage and second highest yards/attempt.

So weird, it's like the Kenny Hill dynamic. No matter how good he became (and in 2017 he was very good) Max is never going to be good enough to some people.
No starting QB will ever be good enough for those people. There will always be something they are bitching and moaning about.

HornyWartyToad

Start Max. If at some point he's not playing well and the players can see it, then Chandler is a great come-in-and-give-em-a-spark kinda guy. One really big plus about this is giving OU two guys to have to prepare for.

Palliative Care

Max is not playing like he has to carry the team on his back like he tried to do (was told to do) his last two years. He plays with fewer mistakes now and he is steady. He is not spectacular and actually the only guy who may be is Sam. I look to see more of Sam now that we are in conference play. I bet that he comes in to play the two QB set. Yes Chandler will play too. Opening up the entire package stating this week.

Eight

Max is not playing like he has to carry the team on his back like he tried to do (was told to do) his last two years. He plays with fewer mistakes now and he is steady. He is not spectacular and actually the only guy who may be is Sam. I look to see more of Sam now that we are in conference play. I bet that he comes in to play the two QB set. Yes Chandler will play too. Opening up the entire package stating this week.

agree completely that max is playing much more relaxed and not trying to force things, but once again, why do you play a guy who has barely played all season now that the games count so to speak.

westoverhillbilly

I would bet that Max starts and stays unless he has 3 or more consecutive 3 and outs and OU jumps out to a big lead which historically they've been known to do to us. Do we know how close Chandler is to being cleared to play?

Froggy Style

Start Max. If at some point he's not playing well and the players can see it, then Chandler is a great come-in-and-give-em-a-spark kinda guy. One really big plus about this is giving OU two guys to have to prepare for.
Jackson is the spark guy. Chandler is the guy that comes in if two people in front of him get hurt.