• The KillerFrogs

Is Max or Morris starting at QB next week vs. OU?

I love Duggan, but man, the passing game is just so limited when he is in there. For some reason he just can’t see the field it seems.

It’s maddening watching him play. He’s such a badass, but so frustrating at times.
Is someone else on the team better? Morris had the magic in the Baylor game but hasn't really done anything else the other times he's played. If we could get that week in, week out, then yeah. But until he does it more than once, I'm not convinced anyone else gives us a better chance to win than Max.

Wexahu

Is someone else on the team better? Morris had the magic in the Baylor game but hasn't really done anything else the other times he's played. If we could get that week in, week out, then yeah. But until he does it more than once, I'm not convinced anyone else gives us a better chance to win than Max.
No, I don’t think so. That doesn’t make it any less frustrating at times.

ShreveFrog

Michael J Fox Hello GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

FrogCop19

Is this good? Asking for the Max haters.

View attachment 12109
McCarthy has more completions in fewer tries and more yards. Stroud has double the yards, more completions than Max has attempts, a third of the sacks, and double the touchdowns.

And we all saw how DD's 80-yard touchdown was a jet sweep, but because it went "forward" it counts as a pass play.

Max has more heart than just about any other three Frogs combined, and he is probably my favorite Frog to put on a helmet in the past 5 years, but I'm under no illusions that he's the best qb in the nation. Something about "Lies, damn lies, and statistics" comes to mind.

**edited to say, all that being said, yes Mad Max is our QB until he loses the spot, because Morris showed me nothing until he unfortunately got hurt.

Last edited:
Not sure everyone realizes how efficient we’ve been. We are #3 in ESPN FPI offensive efficiency. #6 in yards per play. Obviously it has been against lesser competition than we will face the rest of the year but it is still elite production. As an aside it should be noted that our one inefficient half was Chandler-led. Regardless there is no way you mess with that production. Max will be the QB until he gets hurt or we start struggling on O.

Our fortunes are going to hinge on our defense. We’ve been middling efficiency wise so far against poor to middling offenses with much stronger offenses on the horizon. That is where there is an obvious need for improvement.

McCarthy has more completions in fewer tries and more yards. Stroud has double the yards, more completions than Max has attempts, a third of the sacks, and double the touchdowns.

And we all saw how DD's 80-yard touchdown was a jet sweep, but because it went "forward" it counts as a pass play.

Max has more heart than just about any other three Frogs combined, and he is probably my favorite Frog to put on a helmet in the past 5 years, but I'm under no illusions that he's the best qb in the nation. Something about "Lies, damn lies, and statistics" comes to mind.

**edited to say, all that being said, yes Mad Max is our QB until he loses the spot, because Morris showed me nothing until he unfortunately got hurt.
I see the jet sweep mentioned as being deceptive stat wise but A. most teams run the same play and their QBs get passing stats from the play and B is that really that much different than an easy swing pass or a screen that gets taken to the house? All are very high completion % plays with a result mostly due to circumstances outside of the control of the QB (blocking, running ability).

82 Frog Fever

Yes, I’m nearly 100% certain Max or Morris will be starting at QB versus OU.
Some experts are reporting they have it on good authority that both will play.

AroundWorldFrog

Yes, see that's why they have a QBR that takes all of that into account. Max has the third highest completion percentage and second highest yards/attempt.

So weird, it's like the Kenny Hill dynamic. No matter how good he became (and in 2017 he was very good) Max is never going to be good enough to some people.

ticketfrog123

Yes, see that's why they have a QBR that takes all of that into account. Max has the third highest completion percentage and second highest yards/attempt.

So weird, it's like the Kenny Hill dynamic. No matter how good he became (and in 2017 he was very good) Max is never going to be good enough to some people.
Kenny struggled with his deep ball too. Reason 2017 was a large improvement is the offense focused on more short plays to play to his strengths.

Very good QB but just below the level needed to win a Big 12 championship when the conference was stacked at QB.

froggy

Kenny struggled with his deep ball too. Reason 2017 was a large improvement is the offense focused on more short plays to play to his strengths.

Very good QB but just below the level needed to win a Big 12 championship when the conference was stacked at QB.
Offense is good enough to win just like last year it’s the defense that is the concern

2themax

I'm big on measurables when they translate to your on the field skill level. But there's something about a guy who perseveres and never whimpers. He kinda reminds me a little of Doug Flutie. When he's focused he's pretty darn good at winning games. Give his alter ego "Duggy Fresh" the start. Just tell him he's starting 6 mins before the game.